Yams?

Qualitative modification is fair. :+1:
Sadly dead.
Annoyingly ubiquitous.

Quantitative modification goes against simple logic.

1 Like

ā€¦which is why chicken thighs are paired with fried sweet potatoes here, rather than plain old potatoes. It brings the dish to new heights and keeps young Taiwanese growing strong.

Not quite dead. Almost dead. Those are quantitative, no?

1 Like

No, theyā€™re both just variations on ā€œnotā€.

1 Like

In the ā€œold timeā€ late 60s/early 70s, my wife said they were so poor they had to substitute dried yams for rice.
It was prepared like rice in ricemakers.
I asked her if itā€™s still available and if people still eat that. She said that it was horrible and no one would want to eat it.
She was young then and was not sure of the name.
Does anyone know what she is referring to?
I canā€™t believe that everyone would hate this food and no longer eat it. Because of where I live and my poor Chinese level, I canā€™t find out anymore. Iā€™d love to know what it is and try some.

• Fun fact: Many rural Taiwanese would cook and use the same food for generations and not know the name. They just pick it up in the market. Often Iā€™d ask a relative what some yummy ingredient is and they honestly donā€™t know.

How about: ā€œYou are so dead, buddy.ā€

FWIW ā€œso ubiquitousā€ scans better. ā€œWhy are single-serving yams ubiquitous?ā€ feels like an incomplete sentence, even though it isnā€™t.

I find this amusing in the context of modern dietary folklore, ie., we should all eat lots of bland starchy carbohydrates. Itā€™s hardly surprising that (a) people find that this does them harm and (b) most people hate it and canā€™t stick to it (which is probably just as well). Bodies do tend to dislike large amounts of things that arenā€™t good for us.

Fried, fried, fried. Really healthy to grow strong.

Like reading and posting on Forumosa?

1 Like

I love parsnips in all forms. Roasted butternut squash, beetroots and parsnips are heaven to me.

2 Likes

parsnips are one of the few things from the olā€™ country that I still miss, and pig out on when I go back there.

Me too. My family never touches the trifecta when Iā€™m not back, but they seem to enjoy it while Iā€™m there.

So good and so cheap.

Itā€™s possible Iā€™ve just never had a good parsnip.

fnar.

Might be something to do with your local climate. They should be pulled after a frost. Parsnips do seem to be one of those things people either love or hate, though.

Or like they do in commercial setting, put it in freezer.

1 Like

I had some candied sweet potato from the night market last night. They had a bit of a taste of deep frier oil. Not sure how healthy those areā€¦

Parsnips cooked in all the drippings from the meat in a roast are pretty good.

2 Likes

I was being sarcastic!

What are called ā€œChinese Parsnipsā€ here in Taiwan are the plant/herb used in traditional healing meds I think?? (not sure seems to me not the same). So maybe more than the climate as the one I ate in NZ seem bit different.

I want to try parsnips again now that everyoneā€™s hyped it up. Whoā€™s cooking?

Can you buy parsnips in Taiwan? I donā€™t recall seeing them.