Yilan County - Taipingshan | Taiwan unveils world's first 'certified quiet hiking trail'

Yilan Taipingshan area.

Cueifong Circular Trail
https://goo.gl/maps/JsXqaLK8zgd34knE9

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love that trail, but WTF.

“First Certified Quiet Hiking Trail” sounds like a lot of bullsh*t to me. :laughing:

1 Like

My first hike in Taiwan, at the first resting area with seats we came to, a group had set up their karaoke equipment. And I often pass people on the move but the speakers blaring

This is also bullshit

8 Likes

If it’s truly “Certified Quiet”, then they’ve banned all Taiwanese from going there.

11 Likes

That’s a bit hyperbolic. Most of the people I pass on the trail give a friendly smile and nod, no noise at all

Really? I absolutely do not agree with you. I’m an avid hiker and no matter where I go there are portable karaoke machines set up, groups of old ladies cackling like a gaggle of geese and doing some bullshit dancing in the rest areas with amplified music and the most annoying of all are all the people using their phones to play music loudly as they walk along the trail.

Nope. I super do not agree with your assessment at all.

3 Likes

So, when a tree falls along this hiking trail, it doesn’t make any sound?

2 Likes

Probably the difference is that I generally prefer more challenging hikes, I’m sure you have more experience at the old lady level than i do :wink:

9 Likes

I don’t know what I find more BShitty:

1. The world’s first (there must be thousands of quiet trails like that around the world).
  2. The concept of certifying quietness (absence of human noise, all noise?)
2 Likes

How many other places have the karaoke problem ? It is a real problem

Just, no speakers, would be a positive development

Easy access = more average people = more human noise pollution

Hike anywhere in Taiwan where it’s a bit challenging and you get the same amount of quietness as around Cuifeng Lake, probably even more, because it’s very accessible by car.

1 Like

Oohhhhh the burn :fire:

2 Likes

I have only encountered karaoke machines in easy-to-access-trails around Taipei, mostly New Taipei City suburbs like Zhonghe. Easy to avoid.

4 Likes

My main hiking area had one main trail that is the easiest direct route to the summit, and several more challenging side trails. The side trails are usually empty (the most difficult, always empty). People with speakers are always on the main trail

Same park, different degrees of quietness

1 Like

True. But, I’m limited to what my wife is willing to hike or what she can handle.

Further, the level of challenge of a hike should have no bearing on whether or not we should have to suffer the inconsiderate behavior of these assholes. They have no manners and no sense of “other people”. Normal Taiwanese behavior. See the driving thread for further proof.

Even here I’ve experienced trail hikers blaring out their shit music with their phones as if everyone else wants to hear it.

2 Likes

Nor does all the wildlife along the trail.

For me it’s the cicadas. Those mofos are loud af…

5 Likes

Taiwan barbets surely must be deal breakers for those seeking certified quiet hiking, and them noisy cicadas.

1 Like

We were thinking in sync there…

To be fair, at least they can carry a tune better than the karaoke mafia.

1 Like