You and Your Ignore Button

I don’t like a public list of ignored posters either. I don’t like that mob mentality. Being adults (well, most of us anyway) you’d think we can learn to skip over posts we don’t want to read. There are some posters who feel they need to chime in with the “popular consensus” to feel like part of the group. That doesn’t fly with me. It’s not a popularity contest.

I never used the ignore function. It’s a no win situation for me because even the few posters I have difficulties with sometimes post interesting things. Would be better for my blood pressure I suppose but I would miss some good posts too. :idunno:

The only poster I ever permanently ignored was here not to make a contribution, but to take the piss wherever possible. A person who liked to play with and manipulate people. As it turns out, this poster was banned.

If someone’s got a shred of genuineness, I’ll read whatever he/she has written, even if the content or the tone irritates me from time to time.

Well, I voted 4, since I thought it was all-time total. Current total is only 1, and he’ll eventually come off the list too. 2 of the 4 were the same person, and he eventually got banned, and the third was just someone who was pissing me right off at the time. Far as I’m concerned, Ignore is basically a cool-off thing, without having to make a big scene of it. Lord knows a couple of others like to make a song and dance about who they’re ignoring, but I think that’s just the online equivalent of sticking your hands over your ears and going “lalalalala I can’t hear you” in the middle of a conversation.

I honestly can’t see the point of ‘ignoring’ someone. I mean, you need a button to do this for you? Just don’t read what they wrote :loco:

I think it’s a psychological thing. It makes one feel as if they can make another person go away. The poster virtually disappears when added to an ignore list, leaving a simple “so and so is on your ignore list.” I think it gives people a sense of control over something that may be stressing them out a bit.

Sometimes it’s not so easy. For example, I buy the China Post every Sunday to read the comics. But I don’t want to read Ziggy or Marmaduke. So I read Dilbert and The Wizard of Id and just automatically continue with Ziggy before I can stop myself. There’s not much there I know but in order not to read it, I have to make a very concious effort and that distracts from the pleasure of reading the comics.

Yeah, it’s like sending them to their room except you don’t actually have to tell them anything.

I’d like a private list, perhaps in my profile, to see who is ignoring me.

ie: “Dragonbones is ignoring you.”

Then I can wantonly ignore Dragonbones without feeling a sense of guilt.

Not that I would ignore Dragonbones, of course.
:slight_smile:

Ha! Take that! :raspberry: :wink:

[quote=“Tomas”]A chronic liar…[/quote] That rings a bell for me Tomas. I was accused of lying before and I tend to think it is chronically pretentious to label someone a liar online because you can’t prove it in most cases.

I was especially ticked off because it happened at about the same time another poster told a story about killing someone in New York. That poster later admitted in the same thread that it was a lie. In my book, that was heavy trolling and that poster even said he posted that to get a reaction from the readers just because he was bored or something like that.

What gets me is that this particular thread is still archived. My defensive posts on the other hand were floundered and deleted one after the other.

So that brings a question, did you have any proofs that this particular poster lied or did you just assume that because his posts made little sense to you? How did you come up with that conclusion?

I read things that are hard to believe daily but I try to give the benefit of doubt all the time. I may not believe it but I won’t post it. Today I give that benefit to moredeth because I just read a post of his where he claims to have tested pepper spray on himself and went blind for an hour.(Just an example) How can he be such a jackass and not have his own movie I was thinking. But again, I don’t doubt some people would try that stuff on themselves so I choose to believe him rather than calling him a liar. The poor guy was called a liar enough as it is anyways and everytime there were no proofs to back up these accusations other than the fact that many people find it “hard to believe”

It takes all kinds of people to make this world. Ain’t it great?!

bobepine

It’s much more pleasant and psychologically satisfying to push a button and make the worst of the cretins simply vanish from the conversation. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s much more pleasant and psychologically satisfying to push a button and make the worst of the cretins simply vanish from the conversation. :p[/quote]

Especially when they have a disturbing avatar as well…

I’ve only ignored one person. I always thought ignore-button was useless but once I tried it, I really started to enjoy this fuction.

Who is ignoring me?

I guess I’ll never know.

Yes, moderation should keep the real idiots and trolls off the board. But what about the ones that are smart (and evil) enough to continously flirt with the edge and avoid the ban process? Some of them are hilarious and much loved. Others are almost univerally hated.

I miss the ignore button. I also miss the ‘Village Idiot’ title. I think the most ignored member should a matter of public information.
You see where I’m going with this? Checks and balances.

914: I don’t think for one moment that anyone here is juvenile enough to ignore another because a lot of other people do. No danger of death-by-mob-ignoring there.

In the past I set one person to

bobepine - given Tomas’ history, I’d say it’s a fairly solid bet he knew what he was talking about when he accused someone of being a chronic liar. Just leave it at that, eh?

[quote=“Tetsuo”]bobepine - given Tomas’ history, I’d say it’s a fairly solid bet he knew what he was talking about when he accused someone of being a chronic liar. Just leave it at that, eh?[/quote] Fair enough. That post was miserable and way off topic anyways. I wish I could ignore myself more often. :blush:

Just leave that to me :laughing:

I put everyone in this thread on Ignore, but now I don’t know what’s going on. Damn, can someone tell me what’s going on??? :wink: