Young Taiwanese Using Simplified Chinese and Apps from China

based on what?

Even a bunch of games no one’s ever heard of is more popular than that.

thats based on 2019, it became popular midway through 2020

Some traditional characters are just insane. Waste of time to draw so many strokes. I mean why, if you can write it in a simpler fashion.

For that matter the “simplified” is still too hard for me.

Could the font choices of a handful of 13 year olds’ online chatter be the deciding factor in shaping the geopolitical future? The answer I believe actually is yes due to the butterfly effect. Another trend that could do it is the choice of sunny side up v scrambled at breaskfast. Its theoretically imaginable.

What you could do is find a list of failed states and then discourcively analyse teen chat and breakfast menus leading up to the end. :grin:

1 Like

Apparently at the moment its ranked second in social

It’s the same in 2020.

Even Jessie Tang’s horoscope app had more downloads.

I think you are missing the point and are unaware of what Xiaohongshu is or the notion of soft power or danger of China’s infiltration attempts in Taiwan.

Go and ask Audrey Tang, Digital Minister who apparently posts here, about the very real threat of China’s digital infiltration in Taiwan

1 Like

Just be careful at breakfast time anyway just in case

For Apple its number 9 in Social

You can’t blame them.

Most Taiwanese websites, even big ones like Ruten is just so outdated. China invested into tech and software and so all of their websites, platforms, etc. are just far more mature. And there’s the similar culture aspect where you’re using a chinese platform as a chinese speaker. Instead of depending on or piggy backing on Western platforms.

Like a majority of government e service in Taiwan requires IE.

1 Like

Yes this is the point. China has a lot of amazing tech and content right now and Taiwanese young people as Chinese speakers have access to this world. The Taiwanese equivalent are often not that great.

What worries me is not the situation right now, but if the momentum carries on in this way

Ah before I came to Taiwan, I thought that the days of seeing the message “this website requires internet explorer ver …” were over !

Maybe Taiwanese just don’t care for freedom as much… I mean it’s only a matter of time before Taiwan goes over to China without any shots fired. I think the average Taiwanese wouldn’t even see a difference but a change in management.

That looks really lame. 2nd on “social”, overall it’s probably like 200th.

This is what my friend was saying to me when I asked about this trend. She said a lot of Taiwanese will just be attracted to whoever has the money, and now this is China.

She is deep green but also cynical

Well with Taiwanese bosses wanting to pay peanuts, any job in China that is more or less the same but pays 5x more is highly attractive.

For IOS its 58

and Android 49

But bear in mind we are talking about an APP that is only really targeted at young girls. So for that segment, it probably is really high

Sure, but I mean more culturally attracted.

I found that a bit depressing