Your child has a blocked nose. Suction?

So your kid has a cold - blocked nose, or perhaps a runny nose. She’s sniffling. Down you go to the local clinic, where for a couple a hundred NT and a lot of wailing, they’ll insert a tube up both the nostrils and suck out the offending snot. If it’s a high class establishment, before they do this you will have access to a warm steam vaporizer to help loosen all that gunk in your kid’s tubes.

Am pretty sure this is never done in the UK. Is it a common practice in the USA? And are there any problems associated with it. Really can’t make up my mind if it is a good/bad thing. Daughter thinks it’s bad, but then she’s too young to count.

My wife had that done to our girl a couple of times when she was younger (maybe 2 or 3) and I, too, had the same questions. Seems that it could be harmful, but I don’t know. On the other hand, it does seem fairly effective at removing much of hte gunk. Our girl hated it too. Now that she’s 5, I don’t expect we’ll do that anymore: just give her antihistamines or whatever and have her blow her nose.

On a related note, my wife will sometimes lie our girl down and stick a q-tip up her nose to manually remove the boogers, something that also tends to leave our girl squirming uncomfortably (and forces me out of the room) but tends to produce good results in the end.

I have no idea if they do such things in civilized countries.

I’ve never seen it done as you discribe, but parents here, in the States, can buy little suction bulbs to help remove muck from the sinuses of very small children. I don’t believe the clinic procedure is going to hurt anything, though. The thing is, very small children can’t take drugs to clear the sinuses and can’t blow it out, either. They can get very miserable, very quickly. My friend who’s a pediatrition recommended one or two saline drops into each nostril to help loosen things up and then sucking it out.

No, kids don’t like any of these measures; you wouldn’t like having the snot sucked out of your head, either.

My son has had this done many times, whenever he goes to the clinic with a cold. I’ve never thought twice about it, it seems to make him more comfortable for a few hours at least.

Yeah, I know the little bulb things - they create a mini-suction effect. But my wife prefers the more violent yet thorough powered suction at the clinics. Was just idly wondering about membrane or tissue damage, and then wondering if it’s such a great procedure why it’s not done more in the UK (that I know of).

Still, she was very unhappy this morning but MT, your avatar has now cheered her up no end. "Look Daddy!! Jie-jie dancing :smiley: "

We use a rubber suction bulb or else a kind of water pipe device that allows you to suck the stuff out with your mouth and catch it in a wee jar. Looks exactly like the pipes I used to make for smoking ice except made of plastic rather than glass.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

I have no idea if they do such things in civilized countries.[/quote]

which are???

[quote=“divea”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

which are???[/quote]
Scotland. The rest of youse are nothing but godless barbarians. And yes, they do it there, too.
What they generally do in Taiwan, though, is just mouth-to-nose suction. Place lips over nose, suck, spit out the snotters on the floor of the restaurant, bus or train.

I just blow from the inside, always have.

Oh yes, you would! I’ve had it done and wish I could hook up an attachment to a handivac at home. Tis and beautiful thing when you’re right stuffed.

I tried, but I couldn’t get inside my girl’s nose. How do you do it?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“divea”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

which are???[/quote]
Scotland. The rest of youse are nothing but godless barbarians. And yes, they do it there, too.
What they generally do in Taiwan, though, is just mouth-to-nose suction. Place lips over nose, suck, spit out the snotters on the floor of the restaurant, bus or train.[/quote]

hehehehehe…I’ve heard instead of spitting it out, civilised folks use hankies to gather snot, fold it and carefully pocket the contents!!

[quote=“divea”]
hehehehehe…I’ve heard instead of spitting it out, civilised folks use hankies to gather snot, fold it and carefully pocket the contents!![/quote]

Bah! Luxury! When I was a lad we had to get our children’s snot from the river!

About a year ago I read about the common Indian practise of washing ones nose out with a special nose pipe. My wife had been suffering heavily from hay fever and a blocked nose and I suggested it to her, she agreed to try it, I bought one at the local pharmacy for about NT$100. She was soon a convert. Then when winter happened along and my son was suffering from a blocked nose she used it on him! Actually squirting water up into his nose! It works so well that he too is a convert and happily submits himself to it, not me though…

I’ve tried this on myself a number of times over the years. It never works for me. I manage to get some snot out, but forcing warm water up my nose always seems to stimulate my snot glands (or whatever you want to call them) to produce more snot. My sinus tissues seem to swell up even more.

hi!!

It is a common yoga practice, but I don’t know about pipes…the goal is to let warm water in through one nostril and out through another usually with a spouted vessel. If your sinuses are clear then the water will flow freely…when done regularly the sinuses don’t swell up at all. …I don’t know about squirting either, it has to be done gently with a tilted head and can be very ticklish. But if squirting works, then so be it…much better than taking medications.

This one time? I seed a picture of a Indian fuckir (sp?) sticking a live snake up one nostril and pulling it out the other. Bet HIS sinuses were clear. It wasn’t this guy though – he don’t look like no fuckir to me.

I don’t wanna come over all cynical - I do want to believe - but the longer I stare at that the more it looks like a runner bean up the right nostril. And a Photoshop snake.

My nephew is 3 and still does not know how to blow his nose, and his nostrils are so strangely small, his own fingers barely make it in (not to mention ours). Seriously, I’m talking about the width of a q-tip here…

Anyhoo, my sister has this handheld gadget that she sticks up his nose and sucks out the goo, presumably similarly to what you get done in the clinic. Looks like it works pretty well, but I never really did stick around to witness the operation, because my nephew hates having anything up his nose (including fingers and q-tip) and usually puts up a real fight. When my niece was smaller she used it too, and didn’t hate it. She moved on after learning to blow her nose.

If anybody’s interested I can go home and take a look at the brand.

Its called a FAKIR!!!

Yeah, snakes are done for fun, but taking a cotton strip of cloth from nostril to nostril and tugging it to and fro is pretty common too. But I guess warm water is best!!!