Your experience with racism in Taiwan

:sweat_smile::smile::smile: I don’t even know what “Kenny Rogers Roasters” is, but it sounds like a place where old racist rednecks would hang out!

Kenny was avant-garde—did a lot of jazz before First Edition and solo stuff. :face_with_monocle: Roasters is actually more popular in Asia and the Middle East than in the US. Loads in Malaysia and the Gulf.

Let me guess–Tim Hortons wisdom on your part? :laughing:
(432) Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - Ruby, dont take your love to town - YouTube

Can you please provide examples of the privilege we get for living here.

2 Likes

It was a chain of country rotisserie chicken places, but I think they’ve all closed in the US by the early 2000s

I live down south and I’m honestly just sick of people staring at me, and giving me that deer-in-headlights look when they notice me. Like seriously, they look like they’ve just seen a ghost and stare at me. I certainly wouldn’t call it “racism” but day in and day out it gets to be pretty upsetting. I’m probably moving back to Taipei at least partially because of that. I’m white by the way.

5 Likes

They best is when you see them send the kids to run outside to see the outsider. :laughing:

That happened to me this morning.

My son, who is half aboriginal, was complimented on his Chinese when he was at university in Taichung. He assumed it was because he is half westerner too, but no, they were surprised an aborigine from out in Taitung could speak Mandarin.

10 Likes

The staring is bad down South. Especially if you are young, blonde, tall or good looking or a family you will get a shit load of direct attention , its very uncomfortable if you want to chill out and I can’t blame you.
A couple of things that worked for me when younger

• cap and glasses
  • hanging out with other foreigners

I found when I hung out with other foreigners it kind of spread the attention around and I laughed it off.

But myself and the family often noticed we get a lot more attention down South.

5 Likes

Are you the Brian O’ Chen now ?

2 Likes

Never heard of it before. I like roast chicken, and I like some Kenny Rogers songs, so I would probably like Kenny Rogers Roasters! (I shouldn’t be so judgmental. But it is a funny sounding name.)

It depends on who you are and where you’re from, but based broadly on the Forumosa crowd I’d say everything from scholarships (especially to certain countries) to more job opportunities (for those from many countries) to higher salaries to increased breeding potential. Throw in the amount of patience service staff have with those with poor-to-no local language skills compared with what you’d find in most other countries, and that’s a lot of privilege I’d take into consideration before complaining that someone laughed at me.
The only complains I’d feel much sympathy for would be for migrant workers.

1 Like

Honestly, random people unknown to me in general are nicer to me in Taiwan. It’s nice when people smile at you for no reason and you can just smile back. I think I get the same way when I’m in Taiwan; I just smile more. Yesterday, I was driving and drinking coffee. At a red light, I looked over to put my thermos down and the woman in the car next to me smiled at me and I thought, wth lady? A state of being thing, I think.

Exactly, keep “your” hands off me and my loved ones. Do not interfere with my ability to put bread on my family table and feel free to hate away.

1 Like

Well he definitely is not a Brian Mc Chen

No one stares at me , I am an ugly bastard that looks like a bulldog chewing on a wasp.

3 Likes

Good tactic.

4 Likes

not gonna lie, i’m pretty good looking. but i’m feeling like it doesnt get you much farther than being gawked at

4 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck thhaaaaaaatttttt

(Can we curse?)

It’s not “gan ni” you noob.

It’s 去你媽的. Be careful with that. Assuming you don’t have citizenship, you could be shipped back to wherever you escaped from if you get beat up and charged with defamation or whatever.

1 Like

Wrong.
From 2005: