Your Investment Portfolio

That will ruin my investment schedules and everything. :wink: Who wants to live forever?

“Live fast, die middle-aged” just doesn’t have the same ring to it…

1 Like

Did no one read the link?

The S&P 500 Index originally began in 1926 as the “Composite Index” comprised of only 90 stocks. According to historical records, the average annual return since its inception in 1926 through 2018 is approximately 10%. The average annual return since adopting 500 stocks into the index in 1957 through 2018 is roughly 8% (7.96%).

If you use dollar cost averaging, and keep buying through ups and downs, you will make exactly that. If you consider inflation, it ends up being 5-7% annually over long term. Not rocket science, not really exciting, but definitely not impossible.

Friend of mine was investing for years with Neil Woodford. Woodford was probably the UK’s best stock picker for years . Returns were very high . Just all goes wrong when people want their cash quickly all at once.

To each their own!

As I don’t want to be a slave to capitalism I choose to invest and gamble.

Hey @Noel, are you using something like EToro to trade? I’m looking to get back into it, but I’m in Italy so I have to find a way to do it.

Currently I use the self-directed site through my bank - RBC/Royal Bank of Canada. It serves it’s purpose for now, and I don’t really do that many trades. Even if I did, it is only $9.95 per trade - so it isn’t really that bad.

1 Like

If you have more than $100k USD to invest, use Interactive Brokers. They have very low transaction fees and won’t charge account maintenance if you have $100k+ in equity.

1 Like

My investment portfolio appears to have vanished . Has anyone seen it ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Waiting for Virgin Galactic IPO

Any takers ?

I do not. I’m probably looking to put in 1k for a few months of following the market and than put a few thousand more incrementally.

If you have a US passport and an address you can use, you can open an account online with Schwab…trades are free now, no minimum.

2 Likes

Interactive brokers is still a good option. Their annual fee is not that high even if you do not have $100K.

I just checked, and as long as you trade over $10 worth of trades, the monthly fee is $0. If not, it is your $10- your trades, with a maximum monthly maintenance fee of $10.

Of course you can spend more if your trading fees add up.

2 Likes

How’s your arm btw? Curious to know how the recovery process has been for you. Can PM me if you like.

Also worth mentioning is that without a U.S. address you can get an international account with Schwab. You can’t buy some products like mutual funds, but otherwise the same.

2 Likes

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/primary-and-secondary-market-faq/corporate-credit-facility-faq

When will the CCFs be operational?

The SMCCF is expected to begin purchasing eligible ETFs in early May. The PMCCF is expected to become operational and the SMCCF is expected to begin purchasing eligible corporate bonds soon thereafter. Additional details on timing will be made available as those dates approach.

If I was younger and wanted to take a big risk, would consider short-term trade here through to the fall or if return is over 10%.
The Fed is going to buy bond ETFs, and specifically high-yield (distressed).

Analysts saying LQD and JNK at top of the list.

It’s not gambling if you have a system.
I use Mokkie’s system, which is fairly straightforward.
Keep your emotions out of it by having a solid IPS (Investment Policy Statement).
When tough times come, like now, refer to your IPS to keep yourself from getting emotional and making moves that you’ll later regret.
My IPS is as follows:
Buy individual stocks when they are low. Wait for them to increase in value, and then sell them. If a stock doesn’t increase in value, don’t buy it.
It’s simple.

1 Like

My US stock trading account that I opened with firstbank is working fine EXCEPT that it is very expensive at 25 USD a trade ! :neutral_face:

1 Like

I think TD Ameritrade trades are free now. Thanks covid.

BUt 25 bucks a trade is outrageous. They need a phone call and a reminder of competition.

2 Likes

From Barron’s:

owering all of that technology are semiconductors, which continue to follow Moore’s Law, falling in price and increasing in power steadily over time. The hunger for ever-more-powerful chips is insatiable, and no one does more to address that need than Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM), the world’s largest contract chip manufacturer.

On Tuesday, Wedbush analyst Matt Bryson launched coverage of Taiwan Semi with an Outperform rating, setting a price target on its Taiwan-listed shares of NT$366, well ahead of Monday’s close at NT$298. The company’s U.S.-listed shares were down a few pennies at $53.40 on Tuesday morning. For the year to date, the stock is down about 8%.

Bryson wrote in a research note that he sees multiple reasons to expect increased demand for chip-manufacturing capacity, in particular growth in artificial-intelligence applications and the arrival of 5G wireless networks. He also sees advantages for the company in recent manufacturing struggles at Intel (INTC).

aiwan Semi has about half of the chip-foundry market and continues to push the technological envelope. The company is getting ready to ship the first parts that use 5-nanometer line widths to customers in the second half of 2020. Samsung is the only other company that has announced 5-nm capacity to date. (For context, human hair is about 80,000 to 100,000 nm wide.)

Bryson noted that Taiwan Semi’s customers include many companies likely to see accelerating growth tied to market-share gains or high-growth end markets. On the list are Qualcomm (QCOM), Apple (AAPL), Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), and Nvidia (NVDA), among others.

“We would certainly admit Covid-19 will have some impact on 2020 results,” he wrote. “Also, U.S. policy decisions with regards to Huawei [and its chips making unit HiSilicon] could weigh on intermediate term [market] share. However, we expect both factors will have modest impact on [the company’s] longer term prospects as economies rebound and China works around any potential U.S. enforced export restrictions as it continues to seek to realize manufacturing self sufficiency.”

Big fan of the company. We’ve owned it for a decade or more. Can you spare $NT300K for one share? :moneybag: