YOUR moment in the Forumosa History Book

Yesterday I noticed I have been a member of this community for 3 years already, so I looked back and asked myself “what’s my place in the history of forumosa?” followed by “what IS the history of forumosa?”

I am sure many of you some special memories of what went on during your stay here. Debates that impressed you. People you “owned”, stuff like that.

So, step up and share those moments with us.

Ok, me first.
My most memorable moment dates back to one boring night in 2003. I looked at forumosa and though “geez, gotta shake that place up a little” and I did so by inventing the infamous…(drumroll)…

NANCYWU!!!

Today “her” posts would have disappeared already in the graveyard that is the flounder. Luckily, back then we only had the flame forum, so sometimes I still go back and relive those moments of forumosa havoc.

Nancywu didn’t do much after those first couple of posts. Later she had a short affair with bigfluffymatthew in the flame forum, which is no more.

Nancywu was declared dead a couple of months ago, when I was informed her account had been deleted, but she will forever live on in my heart and forum folklore.

I think my place in history is secure, as the “Why the hell haven’t they banned that asshole yet?” asshole. :laughing: That, and probably the 60-odd pages of Falun Gong ownage.

I have no history here.
I am the quiet, demure one who mostly sits around and watches.
It took me almost three years just to get to 700 posts.
I never post on the important stuff, like the war in Iraq, and why they have toilet rolls on the tables in restaurants.
Nobody knows my name.
Sometimes I wonder if I even exist.

I wrote a post a little over 3 years ago about improving my reading by trying to read the subtitles as they flashed by. Man, those were the good old days. Back when I was highly motivated to absorb Chinese (although my reading rate is much, much better than it was back then) and when I still watched TV. Ah, to be 22 again.

And my 100th post happened on January 14, 2003. Nearly 1-1/2 years after logging on. Then I decided I wanted to bring my posting average up from 0.02/day to 2.00/day. Not sure when that happened, but it was some time in 2003. :smiling_imp:

Jeez … I and Forumosa and history?

Well, I started out as mountainman for a short while. After moving down the mountain back to the city I changed to nox and when I couldn’t find my password anymore I thought bottleneck would be fine because I was really feeling as I had hit a bottleneck in my life. Than due to business and being busy I stopped posting for a while and when coming back I had to change me e-mail address and somehow I lost my account due to stupidity from my side and couldn’t enter Forumosa anymore so I made up Belgian pie.

Therefor maoman you can eliminate the other usernames and keep Belgian pie … and while doing so the Forumosa community will lose a few members :wink:

But over all the years Forumosa went through some name changes itself and it wasn’t easy sometimes to find where they went after pausing posting. But everytime I managed to return to the right site.

BTW, at first I really thought that it was a very cliquish bunch of posters and to be honest I felt like this for a long time. Mostly because that time I felt like a lot of my posts where ignored. But it has changed for the good, Forumosa grew and still is growing. My posts are being counter posted.

:slight_smile:

Oh yeah, I was the poster that brought up the karma lottery at first, actually just before I went on being busy and couldn’t really take care of it. Sorry for that :notworthy:

I suggested the name “guanxi” and it stuck.

[color=blue]#34 of the Top 100 Greatest Moments in Forumosa History:[/color]

[color=darkblue]March 3, 2005:[/color]

ImaniOU discovers the word “pwn3d”, as in 'you got pwn3d" when Frost makes a typo typing 'own3d".

I like that one…I know you meant owned, but I think getting pawned is just as cool. Not only were you owned, but you just got dumped off in a sleazy shop for a few measly bucks. You are my hero now, Bee-Dub. :lovestruck:

You just got PWN3D.[/quote]

[quote=“twonavels”]I have no history here.
It took me almost three years just to get to 700 posts.
I never post on the important stuff, like the war in Iraq, and why they have toilet rolls on the tables in restaurants.
Nobody knows my name.
Sometimes I wonder if I even exist.[/quote]

Didn’t you lead a conspiracy at some point? :saywhat:

Or was it karma already changed to guanxi by then? :s Probably … and than I started talking about the idea making it into a lottery … and than I got busy, so by the time I returned posting the lottery was up and running. :bravo:

[quote=“t.ukyo”]Later she had a short affair with bigfluffymatthew in the flame forum, which is no more.[/quote]Noooo !!! Say it’s not true. How can she discard me like that ? I thought our love was going to last forever. :cry:

I am the quiet, demure one who mostly sits around and watches.[/quote]
I think one particular ex-boyfirend may have corrected the “no history” glitch. I think he successfully ensured your place in Forumosa history. :laughing:

Oh boy, my only claim to fame, and since I have now given up men and sex forever it means I am doomed to sink back into the dark, dank cesspool of obscurity. Time to start posting more photos of my cats. :slight_smile:

My claims to fame troll-wise: I once convinced several forumosans that polka is great music and many legendary musicians are into it; another time I seriously pissed off a couple of forumosans when I explained that I wanted to buy a bonsai cat as a gift for my mother (bonsaikitten.com).

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]My claims to fame troll-wise: I once convinced several forumosans that polka is great music and many legendary musicians are into it; another time I seriously pissed off a couple of forumosans when I explained that I wanted to buy a bonsai cat as a gift for my mother (bonsaikitten.com).[/quote]MT -
Your “moment in forumosa history” was when you called me “a prick” and nothing was done about it.
That was your 15 minutes. All downhill since then.

I remember the time when Maoman was just a wide-eyed kid, romping around the park with his little puppy Gustav. He came to me and he said, “I’m gonna be somebody some day, but I don’t know how.” And I replied, “Taiwan needs an expat forum, you know; I think you’d be just the person to get one started, when you’re a little bigger, of course.”

And he looked at me with a sense of understanding and a glint in his eye, and ran to tell his friend Goosie Egg all about his new plans.

And that’s the tale of my place in Forumosa history.

My place in forumosa history? Taking part in the flame wars of old that led to the banning of such flame wars. :laughing:

[/quote]

That is pretty funny when you’re the owner of one of the most famous threads on the site.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]MT -
Your “moment in forumosa history” was when you called me “a prick” and nothing was done about it.
That was your 15 minutes. All downhill since then.[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you lately. Let me know if you want to re-live the great moments from the past. :wink:

The ol’ acronym vs. (<— abbreviation) initialism debate of '77 sure was a good time.

I enjoyed that thread about me streaking through ChangKaiShek, but alas, floundered. :frowning:

Currently enjoying Pirates vs. Ninjas