Youth protesters surround Ministry of National Defense

It’s not like stuff like this don’t happen in the US military… I mean there’s still a lot of hazing resulting in death in the US military too.

It’s a great insult to the US military that you compare them to the corrupt ROC military. How many are missing, killed, and reportedly commit suicide in a non-combatant situation in the US military every year? 500? I don’t think so.

While Taiwan’s police force are beating young defenceless protesters and their professors, Filipino police is taking a different approach to resolve protester hostility:

Works pretty well I’d say. it’s adorable.

Care to substantiate?
500 a year?
Source?
Otherwise, I’m inclined to think, what utter rot!
And your take on U.S. support, is just plain wrong.
:no-no:

Care to substantiate?
500 a year?
Source?
Otherwise, I’m inclined to think, what utter rot!
And your take on U.S. support, is just plain wrong.
:no-no:[/quote]

1. Sorry, I don’t have a source to substantiate my statistics except internet rumors.
  2. I don’t mean U.S. directly support the brutal behavior of ROC military but U.S. did ship the ROC military to Formosa, which started the miserable lives of Taiwanese, between 1947 to 1949.

So you don’t think the US military is capable of corruption when most of the stuff that goes on are not even transparent?

US military is definitely not a saint, - they have their fair share of wrong doings. But the ROC military is evil. They have murdered tens of thousands of innocent civilian lives wherever they went, when they were still in China or after they escaped to Formosa.

You have no idea how corrupt and brutal ROC military is through and through, cell to cell, top to bottom.[/quote]

Everyone knows this but do you have proof? Are you in the ROC military, or know someone who has? Have you done military service in Taiwan at all? Do you have credible and independent research to back up your assertion that 500 people die a year in the ROC military? What are the cause of death, accidents or deliberate murder by the chain of command?

If you are doing to claim that Taiwan is bad, corrupt, dirty, etc. then at least have some proof, or are you just angry that you’re stuck here?

To be honest, I saw a similar figure on local tv, so printlessfoot is not off the mark. Between chabuduo accidents and “suicides”… However, it might not be that updated, one hopes. For instance, this guy of the popular movie series No, sir! did say in a recent interview that during his stint, people died left and right, like 50 guys in his unit alone when he was there. Which does seem a bit too much.

The figure of 500 military deaths per year is similar to what I’ve heard reported in the media, but I believe it includes death from all causes (including natural – though I may be wrong), and would have to be compared to the mortality rate (suicide rate, etc.) of a corresponding age group in Taiwan’s general population to be more meaningful.

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“shawn_c”]
I agree with you that 人性本惡 human nature is evil, though. It’s through education and inculcation that it changes.
.[/quote]

So you guys have taken sixiangshi. How can you not agree with Mengzi??? Blasphemy![/quote]

If only what Mencius said was right, if only…

You have no idea how corrupt and brutal ROC military is through and through, cell to cell, top to bottom.[/quote]

Everyone knows this but do you have proof? Are you in the ROC military, or know someone who has? Have you done military service in Taiwan at all? Do you have credible and independent research to back up your assertion that 500 people die a year in the ROC military? What are the cause of death, accidents or deliberate murder by the chain of command?

If you are doing to claim that Taiwan is bad, corrupt, dirty, etc. then at least have some proof, or are you just angry that you’re stuck here?[/quote]

cough Yeah, I’m pretty sure printlessfoot was in the ROC military… but yeah, he might be angry that he’s stuck here.

I talked to my dad about this whole mess. He was a high ranking officer in the ROC military back in the day. He said that those officers are wrong for using their official capacity to exact revenge, and that even back when he was in the military (when training was much much harder) there were orders to temporarily stop training when the weather got too hot. He did say that the ROC military has gone too soft.

Now take it for what it is… he is very pro KMT so he’s not really going to say anything bad about them…

Wow. Another protest on August 3rd -Saturday- and the funeral service on August 4th. TV news channels will have their hands full…

I think it’s over the fact that the person in charge of the brig has the toughest sentence… and they feel the higher ups should bear more responsibility.

However I do feel that the person in charge should have upheld the law and not obey their superior when he was given an order to do something illegal. The fact is if you were ordered to do something illegal and you do it, it’s your fault because you do not follow illegal orders.

Ma’s back-door manipulation of justice system is working really well. At least 100 thousand youth protestors and their parents are expected to show up in the coming demonstration 3rd August.

What time are they?

I really hope the KMT can come up with a more competent candidate next time around… otherwise the greens are probably going to start a war with China or something…

Yeah, like they did last time. 2000-2008 was bad man. War every frickin day.

I’d like to get along and cover the protest - anyone know the details?

Ketagalan Blvd 6 pm.