Youtubers in Taiwan

Wes Davies (a Canadian living in Kaohsiung who is friend’s with Lukas) is also pretty good. His story of his uncle who lived in Taiwan in the 70s is pretty interesting.

1 Like

I wonder why some of these foreign Youtubers get so many views and subs. It feels disproportionate. Some of them are just ordinary guys doing ordinary things. Would anyone watch their stuff if they were living in their own countries? Why do Taiwanese viewers seem to be so interested in foreigners living in Taiwan? Or is their content being pushed and promoted by channels I don’t know about?

1 Like

I don’t wonder at all. One side enjoys :panda_face:, the other :butter:. I find the combination most unappetizing myself, but different strokes.

I have no idea what this means …

Sorry about that. They pander to an audience that enjoys it. That’s why videos about riding a scooter being amazing and stinky tofu being the 8th wonder of the world ‘succeed’.

1 Like

Travel vlogging is a big thing - this is a subset of it in my eyes. For the Taiwanese watching, there is definitely an element of reality TV with it for sure.

Yes. To elaborate, I hate most travel vlogging. The pandering in TW stuff is just one kind.

One that’s even harder to watch are kid couples in their 20’s flying to vacation spots for a couple weeks, ‘sampling’ culture at the surface, then giving their analysis.

“Here’s our hotel room, here’s what a nice restaurant looks like here, oh this food is good, so is this food. Conclusion, this is a great country to visit, people were nice, lots of different things to try, plus as you can see, my girlfriend has boobies.”

Of course this can all happen in the context of countries with some serious social welfare and political issues, not to sound too old manny. It grosses me out though, it’s a kind of exploitation of culture, often ignorantly dishonest at that, for youtube cash.

5 Likes

Most likely they pay Youtube for that, people will see the video in their recommendations list because the uploader purchased this service. Most people won’t watch the full video, they will watch a minute and skip.

This cracked me up :smile:

I think a good number of Americans, at least, like these channels because many don’t travel outside of their country. The U.S. is extremely large and varied, so why bother leaving for an exotic experience?

I’m American, and before I moved to Taiwan I had done extremely little international travel. I was fascinated watching these people’s adventures overseas, even if that just meant showcasing a foreign mall and bidet toilets.

If these videos excite new generations to leave their bubbles and see for themselves that the U.S. isn’t the center of the universe, I’m all for them (Again, this is an American viewpoint).

6 Likes

This is worse, you tube is full of videos like this and it is impressive this video has more than 4 million views just to see how someone eats and hear the noise of eating lol !!!

I believe the reason for popular garbage videos is simply the business model of Google/Youtube. It’s profit over everything. More people are likely to watch garbage, so those videos are promoted over and over again (side bar suggestions, home page).
The aim is not to promote quality but to make the largest profits possible. For creators who want to make living of it this means you have to create content that sells, not something that is of high quality. Of course high quality content sells too, but how often is it pushed aside by garbage content?

Like another poster said, pandering. They translate everything into chinese (if they can speak chinese even better) they never say a word out of place about taiwan. They never even give real opinions anymore, don’t want to piss anyone off by accident.

Being a youtuber in taiwan is the realm of serious ass kissing.

3 Likes

Can’t f**king stand those “Oh my God, Taiwan!” type videos. Some 20-something in Taipei drinking milk tea for the first time (reaction! OMG yummy!) or eating beef noodles for the first time (reaction! OMG great!). It’s like come on, man. Have intercourse with a donkey or something. Impress me!

6 Likes

Well people demand garbage, youtubers produce it. I’m not sure how they decide promotion, I assumed it was just demand driven and based on views?

Makeup videos, go check how many views those get, then click on some important world news or something, then get ready to question your existence.

2 Likes

That guy need a fist in his face, anyone know who this is?

1 Like

You watch a video about traveling or Taiwan, they suggest a similar one and they will keep recommending until you stop watching them.

Davie504 lives in Taiwan with his Taiwanese girlfriend. He’s quite a famous youtuber (and makes great content)

3 Likes

He lives in Taiwan?
I thought he only mentioned that she’s from Taiwan.

By the way, if you like Xiao Fei and don’t mind watching all Mandarin videos, then you should also try 烙野孩

1 Like

The first thing I did when I found out that I would be moving to Taiwan was get online and try to learn as much as I could. This took me to youtube, where I discovered several Youtubers. So far my favorite ones have been Prozzie and Lifeintaiwan, among others. I knew a little bit about Taiwan when I got my job offer, but not much. As an outsider looking in, their videos have been very entertaining and informative in getting a taste of daily life. (I’ve also gleaned alot from Forumosa).

What are your opinions of these expat youtubers? Any recomendations?

3 Likes