Youtubers in Taiwan

Yes he does. Not exactly a secret - he mentioned it in his FAQ and has featured Taiwan in a few videos.

3 Likes

I like those two guys too. I also watch a lot of Luke Martin. A foodie channel, and he doesn’t do exclusively Taiwan but him and his girlfriend (seems more like an in-all-but-name wife to me) do frequent Taiwan based videos. Also, serpentza and laowhy86 do a collaboration channel called ADVChina. Those two talk about Taiwan while driving/walking around. Their older videos they were in Vietnam and of course China.

1 Like
2 Likes

What can you learn from them? how to be fat losers?

Besides english teaching job related stuff you’d be better off finding things out for yourself. When i first came to china and taiwan there wasn’t as much to go off, finding things out myself was a lot more fun.

3 Likes

I took a look at the lifeintaiwan one. Seems like most of his viewers are likely local. Most viewers were in Taiwan but way to many to be foreigners.

1 Like

Yes he likes to educate taiwanese about western culture, such as going to a booze up and walking around the streets with a beer in your hand. :beers:

1 Like

In terms of travel vlogging in Taiwan, my favorites are still Xiaofei and Wes Davis.

Bonjour Louis can be fun as well

Ku’s dream is fun when he takes first time visitors to experience Taiwan, but with the pandemic on that’s more difficult

3 Likes

Love these kind of videos, very immersive. Makes me miss Taiwan even more.

Before youtube, I learned everything I could from Michael Turton’s blog then a lot of figuring out stuff in my own.

Xiaofei has to be the most original foreign youtuber as none of his content is the stereotypical eating beef noodle soup crap. If only I could live in my van on the beach in Taiwan, life would be grand.

Though I think the most popular foreign youtuber is likely Hailey 莫彩曦 for obvious reasons. Put every single Taiwan a** kissing stereotype you can think of into a channel with a couple straight out of Pleasantville and you’ll get over a million subscribers.

8 Likes

Someone posted this somewhere…

The fact that prozzie is in the top half of that list should should show the level of what we’re working with here…

3 Likes

Drunken musings and ramblings around Taichung (and elsewhere) evidently do have a market.

He should never have broken up with Christine though!

Guy

4 Likes

Same. Before I went to Taiwan, I also watched many videos to see what its really like over there.

I think Taiwanese see waiguoren walking around and then one day youtube recommends a video by an expat and they get curious.

It could be as simple as that - curiosity.

1 Like

The vast, vast, majority of viewership for all Taiwan foreigner blogs are Taiwanese. I find it very interesting that this is the case.

Talking with Taiwanese friends, there is definitely a wanting to know what is going on with those crazy foreigners who live here sort of thing going on … A sort of curiosity as to how our lives differ, why we chose Taiwan, many things really.

4 Likes

Ok i watched the video, prozzie did end up towards the bottom at the end of it where he rightly belongs (not hating on him, but his videos are the ramblings of a newb at best), but why is that horse faced arrogant jonas guy so high up?

I reckon taiwanese see his videos with his gf and are sold a dream of ending up with a guy like him and i just have to say WHY.

1 Like

I have been watching Logandbeck lately, and it is not all that different. However, he makes a good video, covering a lot of ground in that time, and keeps it under 10 minutes - a key to a good Youtube video. I enjoy how he goes to some different places and does more “normal” Taiwan life type things as well.

He reminds me a little bit of Unspeakable, who is super popular amongst the young folk. There is a definite formula to success, and it has something to do with short shots, and intensity (and some “fool-like” stupidness). I do find it that older people (over 40) often find watching that style of video difficult however.

1 Like

He transitioned into a type of news show. His old niche was completely taken over by Wes Davies.

1 Like

Wow! There’s only room for one of these guys in Taiwan? :grin:

Guy

It’s a pretty small market. Expat or not, it is extremely tough now for Taiwanese youtubers. All traditional media and celebrities are also gunning for the same youtube audience. Just look at Uğur Rıfat Karlova. He obviously is a TV celebrity, yet his channel ranks pretty high in that video. If exisiting youtubers don’t up their production quality or figure out how the audience’s taste is changing, they will end up with a lot of subscribers but low video clicks.

Whew! I had assumed there was an informal “only one foreigner at a time” rule in place. :grin:

Guy