Youtubers in Taiwan

So now this apparently can get you a Gold Card (culture and arts category):

Guy

1 Like

Wow, asskissing pays off.

What was her job beforehand? english teacher?

1 Like

Just to be clear, I have no opinion about this news article other than to say: good for her.

Presumably the Taiwan state has made it own calculations about what soft power moves can further its interests. If this helps more people to get to know more about Taiwan (and not just follow Beijing’s narrative), then good.

Guy

2 Likes

From a tourism point of view, fair enough.
But all these foreigners videos are aimed at taiwanese. They have learned the formula: speak chinese or use chinese subs and kiss ass. And you can get an audience.
None of them are actually aimed at foreigners.

It’s not too different to what’s happening with chinese foreign youtubers, they are all supporting the chinese government now because its netting them a chinese audience.

1 Like

Have you watched Richards’ channel?

Guy

No, did he get a gold card? all the ones i’ve seen are aimed at taiwanese.

1 Like

She. As indicated in the Focus Taiwan article linked above, she received a Gold Card. As an American, she doesn’t need to fight to get a green card. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

lol, i thought you were talking about another channel. I skimmed one of her videos, same formula drivel. Im guessing she is more popular than the others due to being a young blonde woman.

1 Like

No man, I remain laser focused. :rofl:

Thanks for your take on things. My take is that if she’s able to make this work, good for her.

Guy

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to start a channel but I feel bad filming other people going about their lives, and walking around with a camera pointed at myself makes me feel like a douche.

2 Likes

You can always get your foreign friends together and have em react to ~strange Taiwanese things~. That always seems to work on Youtube.

3 Likes

I agree. From what I’ve read it seems that one can get a Gold Card simply if their previous income was high enough. At least this woman…

Recognizing Hailey’s efforts in raising the profile of Taiwan on the global stage, NIA said the YouTuber, who published her first YouTube video on Taiwan in 2018 and currently has 1.2 million subscribers, has fostered a greater understanding of Taiwan as well as promoting the image of the nation in the international community through her videos.

I’m not judging getting a Gold Card based on income. In fact, I hope even more Gold Card approvals will eventually make getting Taiwanese citizenship without renouncing current citizenship a reality.

This youtuber however was not awarded a Gold Card based on income. The Focus Taiwan article linked above instead states:

Hailey [Jane Richards], better known in Taiwan as “Mo Caixi” (莫彩曦), was issued the card for her expertise in culture and the arts, the agency explained in a press release.

Guy

1.2m subscribers is quite impressive, especially considering most of her viewers seem to be locals.

If half of her subscribers are Taiwanese, then over 2% of the entire population of Taiwan have subscribed to her channel.

1 Like

ha, this is my 5 yo’s favorite channel, so I’ve watched a decent amount myself. As a beginning YouTuber, I’ve found it interesting to analyze his style as well.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make but I guess it got muddled. Others can get the card by just having the right income, but she actually did something to promote Taiwan to get it. Either way is fine if it means more opportunities to make a life here in Taiwan.

1 Like

For various reasons, I find the “income” route to be of limited intuitive value.

But since it’s not the case with this youtuber, I’ll leave it at that. :grin:

Guy

Since this thread is mostly about the content of Taiwan-related youtube channels, discussion of the immigration/labor law side of things may be more suited to another thread here:

1 Like

Lol. I guess what i really got from them is a feel for the place- the geography, things to do, what people are like, some scenery…and yes they do partake in open container-ing around town a few times haha.

Yes, they talk alot about the english teacher aspect of things, which I mostly skip over because I’m an engineer and I dont really care about that. The only place I’ve found a little bit of info about engineering work environment in Taiwan is here.

I will check him out

Dude, I fell into a wormhole of their China videos after discovering them through Prozzie. I like SerpentZA particularly. They both have ALOT of content. Prozzie seems like he doesnt really take youtube seriously.

1 Like