Zarqawi dead?

Breaking news: Zarqawi dead
The president of Iraq is about to announce news re his death.

Only links up to now (OLD ONES THOUGH)

google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 … gle+Search
google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … +killed%22

got links?

cnn.com

Let’s see the body.

jdskeptical

CNN.com…oh…them…well, it is thursday…

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5058304.stm

CNN.com

Let’s see the body.

jdskeptical[/quote]

Let’s not, please.

I honestly hope that, if true, it’s not going to be a repeat of Sadam’s son’s whose bodies were on display for all to see for hours and hours on CNN.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be happy if al-Zarqawi is dead/captured, but maybe it could be confirmed by the US staff rather than showing us the body on TV.

Maybe that’s just me.

I hope the Iraqis got him.

Apparently Zarqawi was one of the victims of the mindless killings in Haditha.

Erh, not really, but the timing is good innit?

[quote]Top terrorist Zarqawi ‘dead’
From correspondents in Baghdad
08jun06
IRAQI Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has announced the killing of the al-Qaeda chief in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, Al-Iraqiya state television reports.

“The prime minister announces the killing of Jordanian Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the head of an organisation known as Al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia,” the television reported.

The report said Zarqawi had been killed south of Baghdad.

The US military said it would have no comment until after the prime minister had spoken publicly.

Meanwhile Reuters reports that Zarqawi was killed in a US air attack in Baghdad, according to an American ABC news report.

“Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed in Baghdad during a bombing raid,” ABC said.

A Pentagon press officer could not immediately confirm the report.

More to come [/quote]

HG

They were applauding the news when it broke.

I’m not sure what it will mean. More thugs trying to grab power. I’m sure it will be sold as “breaking the camel’s back” but again, I’m skeptical.

Start having a few days without roadside bombings and I’ll be happy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad this fucker is dead and I hope he was looking out the window when the bombs hit.

cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/ … index.html

Good riddance, if true.

I heard he surrendered several weeks ago.

OK, so let him be dead … than another, maybe worse frak will fill the void … enough of them over there …

[quote]Zarqawi killed in Iraq air raid

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi appeared in a video earlier this year
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has announced that militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed.
“Today we have managed to put an end to Zarqawi,” Mr Maliki said, sparking sustained applause.

The Jordanian-born leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq was considered the figurehead of the Sunni insurgency. Reports say he was killed in an air raid near Baquba.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq has been blamed for scores of bombings that have killed hundreds of Shias and US forces.

The head of US-led forces in Iraq, General George Casey, said Zarqawi’s body was identified through fingerprints and facial recognition.

Zarqawi has also been accused of leading the rash of kidnappings and beheadings of foreign workers.

Unconfirmed reports suggested he was seen on one video posted on the internet personally cutting off the head of one hostage.

Mr Maliki said intelligence from Iraqi people had helped track down Zarqawi, who had a $25m price on his head.

“What happened today is a result of co-operation for which we have been asking from our masses and the citizens of our country,” he said.

The prime minister urged Iraqis to join politcal dialogue rather than violence, vowing to “carry on on the same path… by killing all the terrorists”.

The BBC’s Ian Pannell in Baghdad says this will be seen as a major victory for the new Iraqi government and US forces but it remains to be seen what effect, if any, it has on the ongoing violence and death rate in the country.

[/quote]

Who got the US$25m?

Jeb caught him.

Jeb caught him.[/quote]

“Why that wern’t nothing but pocket change fer me boy”

Good to hear that they’ve once again killed the “No. 2” in Al Qaeda.

Interpret that as you wish.

Zarqawi, a Jordanian, has been a key player in instigating the violence between the Sunni & Shi’ite factions in Iraq.
Interesting to see what developments this will cause.
All I can say is…who’s next?