Zen and the art of fzr150 maintenance

Hey Guys! I have just got myself a FZR after reading this forum alot. and I am new to bikes as well. It is a '97 model and it has a very noisy exhaust. Is there a good sound exhaust that is cheap and powerful as well?
Also how much does it cost to get a digital Speedometer for it? i have seen alot of those on the net but not sure how much it will cost to change them.

Thanks

[quote=“shoyamato”]
Also how much does it cost to get a digital Speedometer for it?
Thanks[/quote]

Why would you even waste money on that? FZR’s are very old bikes. I have been here a long time and I have never once seen a digital speedo for that bike. There are many aftermarket exhausts for the FZ/FZR, but to be honest that only one I can recall is called the “Sniper” which sounds decent. The best ones I have seen are custom pipes, most of the other pipes are just exhausts. The stock FZ/FZR has no power, and an exhaust just gives it a decent sound still with now power. They should be re-named screaming turtles. If you want to spend money on your FZR, then save up and find a shop (I know a couple) that will rebuild it to a 250cc. Then is will at least have some power.

Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from told me he rebuild the engine so now it’s 204 cc but how can I tell ?
How do I tell them about this sniper exhaust in chinese. How much will the change of 250cc?
Oh will the cops bother me if stop?

[quote=“shoyamato”]Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from told me he rebuild the engine so now it’s 204 cc but how can I tell ?
How do I tell them about this sniper exhaust in Chinese. How much will the change of 250cc?
Oh will the cops bother me if stop?[/quote]
You will not be able to tell the capacity from the outside of the engine. No idea about the exhaust and if you are already at 204cc it’s probably not worth the extra expense to go to 250cc. Since the engine looks stock from outside, you won’t have any problems if you are stopped, and the cops are not going to bother you about the muffler unless it’s really stupidly loud. You might have a problem at inspection time so keep your stock system if you still have it.

I’m with rk on this one. It’s not worth throwing money at a bike that will never be fast. If you wanted quick and under 250cc you should have bought an RZ* or NSR.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“shoyamato”]Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from told me he rebuild the engine so now it’s 204 cc but how can I tell ?
How do I tell them about this sniper exhaust in Chinese. How much will the change of 250cc?

I’m with rk on this one. It’s not worth throwing money at a bike that will never be fast. If you wanted quick and under 250cc you should have bought an RZ* or NSR.[/quote]

Wouldn’t a digital speedo just be bling (i.e. a waste of money) even if the bike was fast?

About the only good reason for using one is if you are junking the whole factory instrument cluster for some reason (like it won’t fit inside a fairing) or if replacing the front wheel with one of different diameter or no provision for cable speedo drive. Otherwise, it’s pretty pointless. OEM speedo always read optimistically but you just need to measure the delta one time with a GPS device of some sort if you want to know how fast you are actually going and what your real mileage numbers are.

[quote=“shoyamato”]Thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from told me he rebuild the engine so now it’s 204 cc but how can I tell ?

With the FZ/FZR a 250cc is a big difference than the 200cc in many ways. If you did do a 250cc conversion the cops wouldn’t know, because you will still use your same engine case. It will cost you at least 30k to do a 250cc, maybe more. There is no way to tell if your bike is a 200cc unless you take it apart. Like I said, I don’t know too much about exhausts for FZ/FZR’s, but I do remember the “Sniper” exhaust. They actually say Sniper on the side of them. I recall though, that those exhausts are nothing special. You probably won’t any kind of power from an exhaust for your FZ/FZR, but it will sound decent. If you want a decent sounding exhaust, then find some local performace scooter shop. They should have something for your bike.

Hey thanks guys for all the inputs.
yeah i know its bling for the digital. i thinking of changing cause the one it has on now is kinda dead as the RPM one is going kinda crazy. so if i do change a new one i thought of maybe taking in the digital one.
Rk: is any of your place that you recommend all in Taipei? cause i live down here in Yunlin county.
Thanks so much again for all the inputs ^^ helps alot ^^

[quote=“shoyamato”]Hey thanks guys for all the inputs.
yeah I know its bling for the digital. i thinking of changing cause the one it has on now is kinda dead as the RPM one is going kinda crazy. so if I do change a new one i thought of maybe taking in the digital one.
Rk: is any of your place that you recommend all in Taipei? cause i live down here in Yunlin county.
Thanks so much again for all the inputs ^^ helps alot ^^[/quote]

Of course Taipei would be your test bet, but there are guys that pimp out their scooters, and motorcycles all over this island. Remember Taiwan is small, so there should be some small performance shops around. If you can’t find an actual shop that just sells parts, then keep your eye out for a mechanic shop that sells after market parts like scooter exhausts, pulleys, etc. They should be able to find you an exhaust for your bike. You could always find something on yahoo acutions too, but you might need a Taiwanese to help you buy it.

Just want to say thanks guys ^^

Hi guys. I have a question about my headlights for the bike. I notice my lights are not bright enough. and i was told that HID will be very bright for my bike but i also heard that the HID will fry my circuits for the FZR because it is an old bike. So what should i do?

And also i was wondering about putting a GPS on my bike and i think i need the cigarette light thing from the car parts? how do i go about and do that?

gps power link:

[quote=“shoyamato”]Hi guys. I have a question about my headlights for the bike. I notice my lights are not bright enough. and I was told that HID will be very bright for my bike but i also heard that the HID will fry my circuits for the FZR because it is an old bike. So what should I do?

And also I was wondering about putting a GPS on my bike and I think I need the cigarette light thing from the car parts? how do i go about and do that?[/quote]
Do not try to retrofit HID lamps into the OE housings. You will not be able to control the spread of light and will just blind others with it. You will also put an unsupportable load on your wiring, voltage regulator and alternator, which easily result in all of them failing.
I have seen a lot of older FZR models with heavily scratched and yellowed headlamp lenses which makes them very inefficient. They can be polished clear again.
Easy answer is to slow down a bit at night so you don’t out-ride your lights.

Hi again.
I was looking and R1 casing. goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21009298345812
will this work on an fzr? or anyone would recommend a place i can get it in Yunlin county? or perhaps detailing site i can get it done. I saw a place call Hey Boom! which is in Taipei. but i was wondering if there is anyone near where i am in Yunlin
I was hoping to make my bike to look like the R1 and with monster tech detailing on it.
Any ideas?
:slight_smile:

Noticed an FZR with an in-line filter on its oil cooler circuit today. I don’t know if the oil-cooler is standard on the FZR, but I seem to see quite a lot with them on. Makes sense given their rep for overheating on the second cylinder, esecially if the engine capicity has been upped. I don’t remember noticing one with a filter on it before, though.

Looked like (and may in fact have been) a large fuel filter, though in that case its perhaps going to be a bit too fine for the more viscous oil , and seems likely to reduce the oil coolers efficiency.

I’d thought of doing something like that when I had a Zing (maybe with a Frantz “toilet paper” filter, though that is perhaps too much of a flow restriction?), since the Zing probably doesn’t really need high oil-cooler efficiency so much, but I didn’t know where to get one.

Are there special filters sold for the purpose? Are the gains (in filtration) likely to outweigh the losses (in cooling)?

What say the experts?

[quote=“Ducked”]Noticed an FZR with an in-line filter on its oil cooler circuit today. I don’t know if the oil-cooler is standard on the FZR, but I seem to see quite a lot with them on. Makes sense given their rep for overheating on the second cylinder, esecially if the engine capicity has been upped. I don’t remember noticing one with a filter on it before, though.
[/quote]
The very first models had no cooler, but it was added in the first update in the second or third year of production. I have never heard of these rear cylinder overheating episodes of which you speak.

[quote=“Ducked”]
Looked like (and may in fact have been) a large fuel filter, though in that case its perhaps going to be a bit too fine for the more viscous oil , and seems likely to reduce the oil coolers efficiency.

I’d thought of doing something like that when I had a Zing (maybe with a Frantz “toilet paper” filter, though that is perhaps too much of a flow restriction?), since the Zing probably doesn’t really need high oil-cooler efficiency so much, but I didn’t know where to get one.

Are there special filters sold for the purpose? Are the gains (in filtration) likely to outweigh the losses (in cooling)?

What say the experts?[/quote]
This is the FZR thread. If you want to have a discussion about in-line oil filters then make a new thread. Thanks.

The FZR’s have oil coolers. The FZ’s don’t.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Ducked”]Noticed an FZR with an in-line filter on its oil cooler circuit today. I don’t know if the oil-cooler is standard on the FZR, but I seem to see quite a lot with them on. Makes sense given their rep for overheating on the second cylinder, esecially if the engine capicity has been upped. I don’t remember noticing one with a filter on it before, though.
[/quote]
The very first models had no cooler, but it was added in the first update in the second or third year of production. I have never heard of these rear cylinder overheating episodes of which you speak.

[quote=“Ducked”]
Looked like (and may in fact have been) a large fuel filter…

What say the experts?[/quote]
This is the FZR thread. If you want to have a discussion about in-line oil filters then make a new thread. Thanks.[/quote]

I have only ever seen an in-line oil filter on an FZR, and AFAIK there aren’t many other bikes widely available in Taiwan that come as standard with an oil cooler circuit to which one could be fitted. This therefore seems an appropriate topic for an FZR maintenance thread.

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21010212732270#auc
I saw this in Yahoo Auction. what do you guys think? is it worth it ^^

no way…$16,000nt for just the fairings…that wont be legally allowed to be put on the bike…gross. the stock fairings look way better and will fit trouble free