Zoe Lee, Taiwan’s First “Weed-only” Lawyer

Actually they’ve done studies on this. Stoners are safer, more likely to drive at or below the speend limit, and to be super cautious while driving. I’m not saying that being stoned doesn’t impair judgement just that going 30kph in a 60kph zone isn’t really going to cause as much damage as someone high on ketamine or ice doing 160kph in a 50kph zone.

Personally I would prefer going back to using marijuana to treat my spine and epilepsy rather than the cocktail of shit I’m currently on.

1 Like

I was a passenger in the car of a totally stoned driver when i was about 22. I said he should ease up on that while driving. He said “It makes me safer.” Ten minutes later he pulled out of a t junction in front of a car. He misjudged the distance. Boom! He broke a few bones everyone ok apart from the normal whiplash stuff. Statistically irrelevant , but just think it is best to drive completely clean. Also some of the strains these days are so darn strong. I think Holland regulates THC content now.
I am all for legalazing it ASAP though. However , I would like drivers tested.

1 Like

I hate stinky tofu. And hipster beards. But I wouldn’t seek to make either illegal. Come on, man. Live and let live unless it’s something genuinely threatening or harmful to you.

4 Likes

As marco already said, DUI is already illegal. In reality any impairment while driving is, being tired included.

The argument weed is fine to drive is also moronic. It is not. The arument is that people should not be made a criminal for using it. That said, when taiwan courts say cutting off your mothers head is fine so long as you are high, then people tend to panic. logically. This, however, isnt a drug problem so much as justice problem (of which there are MANY in taiwan!!). It is quite infuriating how these things get made into a soup of nonsense to promote a narrative that doesnt really even exist anymore.

All that said, weed should be legal just based on the fact of its industrial and nutritional use. Its an amazing food and can EASILY replace many less efficient species. If we got rid of.wine because it can be fermented and give people narcotic effects, what would people say?

Stupid fucking logic. There is no way to agree with this outside of you just want to.control peoples basic rights. Literally no other justification. And for gain. i dont do drugs, except i do like beer socially. I dont like drugs. and generally speaking i hope people use less of them. But we cannot deny facts and common sense for our own sellfish preferences. thats what dictators do…

If there was ever a culture in history that could benefit, medicinally and nutritionally, from both canabis and psilocybin, it is Taiwan. That is also a fact. Whether or not we like it.

2 Likes

The problem is the tests they do can detect weed from 3 days ago. So it’s a little bit of a gray area. There’s also the issue of conducting a sobriety test. If I was to do one I would probably fail as I wouldn’t be able to balance for shit and my hand eye co-ordination is testy at best. I also appear drunk most of the time but I haven’t touched a drop for 20 years as it brings on my epilepsy. But I can ride a bike no hands at full tilt going up a steep hill. Go figure.

Only with legalization will they develop proper tests (chrystaline tests much like alcohol breathalyzers) to get accurate readings. It does make you wonder why opiates are not included in those roadside drug tests though. Like you can just go to the chemist and get your methadone dose and be highAsF and drive down the street and it’s totally legal.

1 Like

What a character .:grin:
Fighting a major uphill battle.
I miss the odd joint but I don’t partake in Taiwan, legal consequences are too horrendous.
Really a pity cos that stuff could literally grow like a weed here.

4 Likes

Same. There’s a point where it’s just not worth it. Taiwan demonstrates that point regularly.

1 Like

I saw that in an old thread. Must be true.

Thailand - 2019 - Medicinal Marijuana

[Thai government aims to ride high on global cannabis wave - Nikkei Asia]

South Korea - 2019 - Medicinal Marijuana

[https://mjbizdaily.com/south-koreas-medical-marijuana-law-to-go-into-effect-in-march/]

Well, certainly not the first. But hopefully the best.

Surprised Korea legalized it for medicinal purposes. When I worked there, the students were much more likely to spout the “marijuana is a hard drug and will kill you, devil weed” bullshit than students here in Taiwan, who seem more open minded and more curious about it than fearful.

1 Like

Thailand has recreational now, right?

Edit - I thought the six plants thing allowed recreational use. I guess you need to send the flowers and seeds to the medical marijuana facility. What a rip off!

Taiwan is a long way from being the cool kid.

Whoah did I miss something. So are tourists now allowed to smoke weed in Thailand ?

Decriminalisation and legalisation are not the same.

Not comparable at all.

Tourists will be eligible for medical marijuana. Maybe you’ll be able to go into a clinic, complain about something and come out with Thai stick.

2 Likes

Why?

Because it’s drug?

So is aspirin and caffeine. You have to do better than that.

3 Likes

My lower back hurts for about 15 years. Only thing that helps is a lot of stretching. Pain killers mess with my stomach, balms help a bit. Chiropractor a bit. However , when i took some weed for that in Europe it helped a lot!
So now in Taiwan i have a drawer full of legally acquired Benzodiazepines , Cataflam etc.
I could never legally get all that in Europe but a bit of Afghan hash easily acquired and only warnings are issued at most if stopped.I guess any useful medicines we can grow for free just decrease profits of big pharma.

1 Like

Weed is a lot more addicting and a lot stronger.