Zoom Consumer Confidence

By now, everyone is aware of how the TW gov has poopoo’d Zoom. Understandable, for sure.

Here is a very long article on the history of Zoom goof ups.

Personally, I love Zoom and have upgraded to The Pro package. Now I have to switch to Hangouts if I want to VC with just about anyone in Taiwan.

How can Zoom restore local confidence in their product?

Will you continue to Zoom?

• Absolutely
  • Sparingly
  • Eventually
  • Nah
0 voters

Thanks for your thots.

1 Like

Never used it. Didn’t even know about it till like now.

5 Likes

We use MS teams . It’s a lot more professional product. Still I’d like to use zoom occasionally so would schoolchildren I think .

2 Likes

Errr… did you intentionally spell it wrong?

2 Likes

I use WebEx, but Zoom is good for easily setting up a video call with someone who doesn’t have FaceTime or isn’t on Facebook.

2 Likes

Things I like about Zoom:

1. So easy to use and to get new users into VCs.
  2. Recording VCs
  3. Breakout Rooms*
  4. 450NT a month to upgrade

*This feature alone allows you to have 10 classes of 9 on 1 (or some other config) at the same time in 1 room. That’s a whole school fer craps sake.

Less important, but still very impressive:

Interface bells and whistles like annotate, raise hand, whiteboard, transcripts of chats.

alas, the only problem with it is they were lazy with their product’s security and jumps onto Chinese servers to accommodate the surge from the great lockdown.

So, does Webex, Cisco, MS Teams, Slack, Skype, Hangouts offer anything even close to this. My top 4 points are deal-breakers, especially #1.

I tried it but with all the security issues, I’m sticking with Google meet.
Pretty much the same thing

1 Like

meet? or hangout? What’s “meet”?

Oh, I see…meet is part of Suite. Looking into it now. Does it have breakout rooms and recording ability?

It has recording ability… For break out rooms, I just got my students to make their own. So as far as I know, it doesn’t. I’m still pretty new to it though.

I think some features might be offered for free now only because of the virus. Not sure if you’ll need to pay for them later

1 Like

So, I have been informed that we actually have a G Suites account. And Meet.

Gotta say though, that breakout room tek is pretty cool. So much potential. Like running work stations and the host(s) can bop around from room to room. Ya, gotta say, thinking Zoom still…damn the torpedoes.

3 Likes

I downloaded and set up Teams but it isn’t comparable to Zoom. It is very comparable to Slack.

In Teams, you can set up Zoom for your web conferencing. But I didn’t see any conferencing in Teams per se or from any of the Teams reviews I found online

What am I missing?

MS Teams is better for internal work with colleagues. It’s a more controlled environment with a lot of functionality for chatting, sharing files and projects as you mentioned. There are conferencing functions on MS Teams. WebEx is another popular one.

Yes, but can you do video conferences?

I don’t share many files via Zoom. I use Zoom to share screens - slides, mapping, documents.

Yep you can do video conferencing, meetings, we use it everyday, share screens , recording which then becomes Microsoft streams which you can share the link etc. There may be different packages…

Ok. I may look at it again sometime.

When installed it last night, I instantly recognized it as an alternative to Slack. And when I searched online for the conferencing, I only confirmed my impression of it as a Slack alternative.

I’ll check this out

2 Likes

Possibly but I never used slack. It’s useful and very reliable and integrates with outlook and MS software super smoothly. Mobile functionality is good too.
WebEx and ON24 is what we use for outside webinars.

2 Likes

I used to use WebEx a lot. Zoom is a cousin of WebEx, so my transition to Zoom was seamless.

Thanks again to @Toe_Save for introducing Zoom to me last year. You will never know just how much Zoom has helped me over the past 12 months

3 Likes

Gonna be moot if no one in Taiwan will use it though.

So, furthering this discussion:

We’ve had a knock about with some alternatives, the poll clearly indicates zoom should probably forget Taiwan Client Satisfaction.

Still…they will persist.

As a thought experiment, what would you suggest they do to regain their brand?

1 Like