Food you miss back in your country?

I miss meat pies too. Especially the butter chicken ones that seemed to becoming popular.

Had Dominoes Pizza here once recently. No hurry to do it again. In NZ it was getting close to being the regular Tuesday night meal as that day it cost around a quarter of what it does here.

I miss decent cheese and wouldn’t mind cheesecake either.

I need zuccihini so badly…but the thing is I won’t go to Taipei until August…
Is there anyone knows where can I buy it in Taichung?
thx. :slight_smile:

It’s been at our local market in the past year. Not sure about the seasons. I think it was around this winter. It’s called “jie gua.”

節瓜~thank you so much, Tempo Gain. :bravo: I googled it and found out there’re green & yellow one. I didn’t see yellow zucchini in oz. Will try to find green zucchini soon:-)

Cottage Cheese.
Ravioli.
Espresso.
Tomatoes, with flavour.
Real Beer.
Potatoes, real ones.
Same for corn.

Oh God, yes.

Not shawarma, but street tacos.

My wife is been trying to grow jalapeños for the last 6 months without big success, but today I ate the first (and only) 1 jalapeño she grew, she wanted to mix it with a 3 minute beef noodles thing and I was like… c’mon…

She made me an amazing dish, pork with potatoes (on white rice :p), almost like my mom’s, best thing I have tried in months. Well she just started cooking again, when we were staying with the mom in law, she wouldn’t let her touch her kitchen stuff.

your rice plaintain looks very delicious

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Cottage Cheese.
Ravioli.
Espresso.
Tomatoes, with flavour.
Real Beer.
Potatoes, real ones.
Same for corn.[/quote]
GingerMan style…missing you,blast from the past :sunglasses:

節瓜~thank you so much, Tempo Gain. :bravo: I googled it and found out there’re green & yellow one. I didn’t see yellow zucchini in oz. Will try to find green zucchini soon:-)[/quote]

It is a winter vegetable.

I think in the US, squash and zucchini are summer veggies. I get my FB page swamped with all the friends and relatives who tried their hand at backyard gardening and show off the results… varied results, I may say.

You’re right, although I’m sure I remember my mother forcing me to eat it during winters in New Zealand as a kid. It certainly doesn’t get as cold there as many parts of the US though.

Yep!

This one:

or this one?:

:cry:

I saw zucchini and summer squash at the super in Far Eastern’s “The Mall” today (Taibei). Pricey, though.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Cottage Cheese.[/quote] Wellman’s, almost $200 per tiny container I think

[quote]Ravioli.[/quote] Mayful, reasonably priced, Mr. Paco’s – spinach and ricotta, among others

I saw zucchini and summer squash at the super in Far Eastern’s “The Mall” today (Taibei). Pricey, though.

:slight_smile: thank you, guys. I can eat zucchini anytime in oz, but it’s much more expensive in winter…around 11 AUD for 1 kg. I always bought 3-4 when I went to Coles & ate at least 1 per day.
how much you’ll describe pricey in tw? vege & fruit are quite important to me. even the cherry tomato 3.98 AUD for one pack, I always bought 2 & almost ate every other day. Coz I was so afraid to get sick…lol.
I suppose I will buy even 50 NTD for one coz it’s healthy food:-)

Tanhou, the organic supermarket, ahs zucchini for 70nts. That I consider pricey. City Super also carries zucchinis and squash. Occasionally, you can find them at traditional markets for like 30nts… but it is a matter of luck.

At a traditional market, you can fill a bag of veggies with 200 nts…unless there is atyphoon, then all the price go up. Just buy what’s in season. You can also order a supply of organic vegetables at the big organic stores, like Cottonfields or Santa Cruz, or on line: they fix you up with a box full of what a family would eat in a month.

What is being called Squash in this thread by the North Americans is known as Marrow in Australia and New Zealand.

I remember the first time I ate Cottage Cheese, and I thought WTF is this…

now I miss it weekly…