Food you miss back in your country?

I miss good, cheap sushi. Maybe I just haven’t been going to the right places.

there’s a stand near Taipei Yuan-Huan, another one around Wan-Hua, they are small, open, and cheap, greate quality.

sushi are indeed cheap in the US, probably the cheapest anywhere.

Second for that place in the little alley next to the doomed Taipei Circle. :thumbsup:

If you can’t find good cheap sushi in Taiwan, heaven help you.

Maybe he’s looking for avocado sushi? My brother was bragging that he ate sushi for the first time… none included fish.

damn, now I want some avocados…

damn, now I want some avocados…[/quote]

The really good ones? Costco.

My last place of residence was Vancouver. Every block has a sushi joint with big selection, big cuts of quality fish, and low prices. Here I’ve been dropping in on all sorts of places but I always leave hungry and dissatisfied after dropping 500 or 600 NT. As I said, maybe I just haven’t found the good, cheap sushi places yet… I probably haven’t any idea what they look like. (And no, I am not talking about just avocado rolls.) Recommendations are welcome, or maybe I need to use the search and get a little more focused in my wanderings and explorations…

Vancouver must be a lot cheaper than a couple years ago.

The really good ones? Costco.[/quote]

Yeah, but I don’t want five or six. I want one, maybe two. PM me if anyone wants to split a bag at the Neihu or Xizhi stores.

The really good ones? Costco.[/quote]

Yeah, but I don’t want five or six. I want one, maybe two. PM me if anyone wants to split a bag at the Neihu or Xizhi stores.[/quote]

I noticed Wellcome had avocadoes the other day. I didn’t buy any so no idea of the quality but I can’t remember seeing them in there before.

You guys remind me the good taste of Japanese sushi with avocado & prawn…& tuna & tempera…
around 2.5 AUD/each for take away. I always bought 3 & ate them right away with the soy sauce.

I agree with some people that said your taste bud changed. I lived in Southeast Asia before and moved to USA. For about 10 years I missed the food in Southeast Asia. However, when I came back and ate those so-called-dreamy food. They all tasted like MEH! And I came to think “Why the hell I missed these food so much all those years.”
And now, I’m living in TW, I thought the food here is okay. I’ve been staying here a bit over a month, and I have not find any food that is “OMG I’M IN HEAVEN” kind of experience. The juices from local supermarket tasted like crap! So watery and bland. And Yes! I miss Taco Bell, authentic Mexican food from the local taqueria (please don’t confused this is NOT the same food ok?! :no-no: ), In and Out Burger, Ike’s Sandwhich, Ghirardelli chocolate, full size ikura and uni sushi (not half ikura and half zuchini… WTH is that sushi called? so cheap looking!!! :raspberry: ) and spicy tuna roll. And Oh! Arizona Green tea ginseng. Oh~ I’m very homesick! :cry:

Don’t worry. Taiwan has plenty of processed foods like those which will soon eat their way into your heart. Possibly literally. :laughing:

I’m probably quibbling too much, but as best as I can tell the avocado is actually a Californian addition to sushi. Sure, it’s part of “worldwide” sushi now, but not really a part of “Japanese” sushi.

Ah, Vancouver. Figures. These guys keep giving me a hard time when I quote the guides about “the best Asian food outside of Asia”. I agree that good sushi at a reasonable price seems harder to find that what it should for an island, with allegedly plenty of seafood, and to top it all that was under Japanese rule 50 years. But still cheaper than Japan, and Japanese people love Japanese food here.

Well, yes, the normally available sushi chains here suck really badly, but they are “cheap”. The good susshi places can be a bit pricey. Alternatives? There is the infamous Linsen North road places, the older the better. That is usually the best rule: if they have been around 50 years, they’re good -but might not be cheap. For instance, on the corner of Zhongshan and Chang An West road you have the “first sushi restaurant”. Not bad at all. There is one near my home where the waitresses must be 60 years old or more, yet their sushi is plentiful and huge portions. And in Hsimending, heaven knows how long the sushi place with a real toy train as conveyer belt for sushi has been around!

But the largest pieces, the freshest and most delicious sushi is, as per Auntie Peng’s opinion -yours truly-, is the one I mentioned: close to Taipei Circle. No restaurant at all, just a stall in an alley. Sitting arrangement is… original. get off at Zhongshan MRT and walk towards Dihua street. It is the alley before the Taipei Circle -a huge glass structure, hard to miss. To the right you will have Ninxia night market, to the left, this alley restaurant I am talking about. Ah, found it: taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003521325

In Vancouver, Salmon imports themselves into the darn place…

Since the 50s. It was Taiwan’s first sushi bar with a conveyor belt.

Since the 50s. It was Taiwan’s first sushi bar with a conveyor belt.[/quote]

Same conveyor belt still there, I suppose, as well as the cobwebs on the stuffed blowfish that threatens to impale a patron or two.

I’ve decided to organize icon’s suggestions for myself and others:

[quote=“Icon”]
Well, yes, the normally available sushi chains here suck really badly, but they are “cheap”. The good susshi places can be a bit pricey. Alternatives? There is the infamous Linsen North road places, the older the better. That is usually the best rule: if they have been around 50 years, they’re good -but might not be cheap. For instance, on the corner of Zhongshan and Chang An West road you have the “first sushi restaurant”. [/quote]

According to the address this should be it:

Map:
maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=%E7%A … 21,0,3.86

Google review thingy:
plus.google.com/105542195440330 … zh-Hant-TW

Address: 台北市中山區長安西路10號

Insufficient Info.

[quote=“Icon”]
And in Hsimending (Ximending), heaven knows how long the sushi place with a real toy train as conveyer belt for sushi has been around![/quote]

This place looks pretty great:
mtchang13.pixnet.net/blog/post/4 … 8%EF%BC%81

Map:
maps.google.com/maps?q=%E5%8F%B … wbsmm2KLsQ

Google review thingy:
plus.google.com/111882132189050 … t?hl=zh-TW

Address: 台北市萬華區峨眉街53號

It’s said there’s a long line for weekends, and some people complain about the service, but most people give great review for the food itself.

[quote=“Icon”]
But the largest pieces, the freshest and most delicious sushi is, as per Auntie Peng’s opinion -yours truly-, is the one I mentioned: close to Taipei Circle. No restaurant at all, just a stall in an alley. Sitting arrangement is… original. get off at Zhongshan MRT and walk towards Dihua street. It is the alley before the Taipei Circle -a huge glass structure, hard to miss. To the right you will have Ninxia night market, to the left, this alley restaurant I am talking about. Ah, found it: taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003521325[/quote]

This one I’ve also mentioned:

Map:
maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=%E5%B … 1,0,-0.85

google review thingy: plus.google.com/112987422611481 … t?hl=zh-TW

Address: 台北市大同區南京西路250巷8號