Proposals for Taiwanese flag

Convinced by some of the key starting points of a good flag design. For example, basic colors and geometry, and that a 5 year old should be able to draw it from memory.

When haven’t I been convinced with those points?

If you are referring to your cross design, then I point you to rule 2 of Roman Mars’ 5 flag design laws from that video:

1. Use meaningful symbolism.

There’s nothing wrong with your green cross design. I think it looks elegant, but there’s a problem with its symbolism. In previous discussions of this thread, the issue was never about the design aspects of the cross, the main issue is how is the cross a meaningful symbolism for Taiwan? Also, if a cross is to be used, there are existing proposals featuring a cross that are equally well designed.

See page 14
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … &start=130

It’s like what Josh Parsons says about the basic tricolor design, if you are not in Europe, don’t use it.
otago.ac.nz/philosophy/Staff … /meth.html

I think the same applies to the cross. It’s not suitable for Taiwan to adopt a religious symbol as a feature of the new flag.

by the way, the green cross of white field design is unsurprisingly already been used many times before:

It’s the Flanders’ flag during the 3rd crusade
crwflags.com/page0950belgium … cross.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernandina_Beach,_Florida
It’s called the Latin American Patriots’ Green Cross of Florida flag, used by a bunch of Americans who wanted a piece of the Spanish territory, they invaded the Amelia island and called this the Republic of the Floridas flag.

It’s also a feature of the South African Navy flag
crwflags.com/fotw/flags/za-navy.html

their admiral flag

It’s a feature of the Portuguese Navy flag
crwflags.com/fotw/flags/pt~rank.html

their Admiral flag

It’s a fake flag design in the Wealth of Nations boardgame

crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fic@won.html

2 wave symbols and 4 wild lilies.

referenced this design concept:
govt.nz/browse/engaging-wit … esign/7297

I was actually trying in add things to the V flag, but half way through it decided to see what this would look like…

Why would a 5 year old need to draw it from memory?

Well it’s a good design, but we can’t use it for our nation’s flag.

news.yahoo.com/justices-render-d … itics.html

So, the United States Supreme Court has upheld Texas’ refusal to issue license plates with the Confederate flag. While Taiwan continues to allow folk to come up with a non-ROC flag. I applaud the ROC’s continued willingness to have this debate on whether the ROC should exist at all.

Does Taiwan issue license plates or other government issued documents/materials with non-ROC flags on them (can you get a licens plate with a PRC flag on it?) If not, I’m not sure what connection the Texas case has to the issue of whether Taiwanese are allowed to design their own proposed flags or discuss the dissolution of the ROC. The Texas case only says that the Texas government is allowed not to issue license plates with the confederate flag on it; the case doesn’t allow Texas to prohibit people from designing alternate Texas or US flags for their own use/interest, or from discussing the dissolution of either Texas or the U.S. (In fact, I think the Texas State Constitution even specifically allows for the State to be broken up into smaller component states if the people so choose). I’m glad that Taiwan has freedoms of speech, but I don’t see the connection of the Texas case.

NEW ARRIVAL

1 Like

The hell…? It’s not terrible, but it does have some design problems (the emblem is too small, and the triangles don’t fit well with the floral part), and I’m left scratching my head over what it all means. Also…is that orange and green? My color vision isn’t very reliable, but my spider-sense is tingling over this combination.

Hansioux, your latest one is pretty good. The black and blue looks a bit dark, though–I wonder whether green and blue wouldn’t look better (aside from the symbolic aspect)? Also, the New Zealand flag proposal has four stars because of the Southern Cross, but Taiwan isn’t actually in the southern hemisphere. Maybe three lilies instead of four? Also, the whole design still looks a little busy–you’ve got two basic elements competing for attention. Maybe you should use just one of the frilly wave patterns…? Or maybe the flag should be a simple vertical bicolor, with a white lily as the dividing element (offset towards the hoist if you like)…?

The emblem in the previous post shows only one variation of the concept.
Strip away the emblem is the underlying basis like this:
lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eVPm … ormosa.png

Allowing for the political institution to evolve, the concept may also adapt to become like this:

I posted my thoughts in Chinese in the google plus Taiwan flag design community, but basically I like this design. The design without the emblem is too plain. The one with just the “Tai” character design in between vertical green bars doesn’t look as good as this one. I am typically not a fan of green + orange color design, the one with a large “Tai” in the middle made the green + orange stand out.

This one however seems just right, with one problem… The Kokonoegiri (九重桐 Paulownia fortunei) design while beautiful, has a very imperial/colonial feel to it, as it should since it was the emblem of the Taiwan Prefecture during Japanese period. I don’t think that’s a good element to have on the future flag of Taiwan. Could you render a flag with the same design with just the “Tai” character design?

Looks like an elevator button. Going up, or going down?

Yeah kinda. It’s like this:
From the Mountain to the Sea
Ilha Formosa Proud and Free
Fight for a Nation Just and Peace
Guard our Homeland Evergreen

Hmm, don’t know if this is a translation but the third line seems a little awkward to me.

Could I suggest: Our Just Nation, full of Peace

I know. I just wrote it impomptu to go with the flag. But sure. You get the idea.
How about “Build our Nation Strong for Peace. Guard our Homeland Evergreen” etc etc.

Well, if Taiwan doesn’t adopt your song, maybe Evergreen Shipping will.

1 Like

reads like the English translation of Lupang Hinirang.

1 Like