Taipei Summer Universiade 2017 :facebook:

What you were smelling wasn’t Chlorine but Chloramines…Chloramines are the combination of Chlorine in the pool and sweat, oils, urine, faeces etc. If a pool smells strongly of “chlorine” it’s not because it’s well treated, it’s because it’s well polluted. The more a pool smells, the more Chloramines there are and consequently the less Chlorine remains to disinfect the pool. The “other Olympic standards” are likely swimmers showering before getting in the pool and not peeing in the pool. A clean pool has very little odour.

1 Like

Foreign athletes are shitting in our swimming pools: CONFIRMED

2 Likes

Anyone know what that was this morning. I look down and my street was closed and they were like roller skating or something

Road skating race.

They’re doing it again tm morning, or at least the road is closed again for something. I guess I do get a pretty sweet view of the whole thing.

Japan was just too strong, it feels like Russia and Japan are a fair bit above all others.

The ending was really sad, some Taiwanese girls on the bench were starting to cry halfway through the last set because there was really no way to win. Hua Yang couldn’t stop crying at the end of the match and covered her face with towels. It’s a pity they had to face such a strong team in the semifinals, if they ended up against Ukraine they would be in the “real” final.

:heart_eyes: she’s from Yilan! YES.

Still need to edit all the pics, I got home after midnight -_-

1 Like

Taipei 2017 Universiade - 世大運 - Taiwan vs Japan by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

Taipei 2017 Universiade - 世大運 - Taiwan vs Japan by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

1 Like

Was that the little league world series?

I am really happy for the enthusiasm Taiwanese show, especially for their own athletes but not exclusively. Foreign participants are also cheered and their remarkable efforts and exploits do not go unnoticed.

Yeah, last night in the huge Javelin showdown (2 locals vs der German) the Taiwanese crowd was quite happy to roar on all three throwers. Of course when Cheng pulled out the “12th biggest throw of all time” things got cranked to 11.

P1410906

My “spirit of the games” shot. This is Ugandan runner Annet Chebet running in the women’s 3000 meter steeplechase. Seven times the women went over the water jump, seven times Annet went in the water. What is significant is not that she soldiered on, finishing a lap and a half down on the field, but that there was never any question she wasn’t going to finish the race and finish it with great dignity, head held high. Needless to say she got a huge ovation from the local crowd.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a track and field competition get that much hype.

What was more amazing was Cheng’s final (was it his final?) throw and he almost threw himself with his javelin. Definitely one of the highlights of the games.

He threw himself a couple of times but not on that final throw as I recall. Every once in a while you get a field event that goes into overdrive like that. The roar from the crowd as they saw how far that spear was flying was extraordinary.

A completely opposite event was the women’s hammer throw. First throw of the night a Polish girl monstered it and broke the Game’s record, game over.

Time for some gymnastics today, followed by the female volleyball finals.
If Taiwan gets the bronze I’ll stay until the ceremony, but if they end up in 4th place I don’t think my heart could bare the weight of staying there 2 extra hours taking pictures filled with sadness.

I’m curious, what was so bad about the media/photographer area for track and field?

I would understand if there was only area for you guys near the finish line, this way you only shoot the finishes of the running events, but none of the “field” events.

On a side note, I had dinner with the family on Saturday and Universiade was the hot topic. For 60 year olds, they all thought the games were an epic waste of time (and money). They saw the level of play was not as high as they expected from a level down from an Olympic level event. Stating that the SEA games were being held as well as some World Championships of Badminton (or was it ping pong) over in Glasgow, UK.

The most blasphemous statement I heard was that universities put out a sign up for students to come so as long as you had some experience with the sports, you could come. Yes, because very college student has 6 pack abs and amazingly fit bodies…because they feel like it.

My relatives all thought since they are not actual student athletes, they just came here to party. And since FISU punishment isn’t harsh for drinking and acts of stupidness in the athletes village, they could…do whatever the hell they wanted without major major consequences. They’re college students…in a foreign country on someone else’s dime, of course they’re going to eat, drink and do stupid things.

1 Like

Tennis Match Yesterday morning at the New Tennis center

20170827_100832

Regular media did not have access to the field, we had to take pics from the spectators area. In other venues like Nangang, the volleyball arena and others I was able to shoot next to the athletes.

20170827141731_IMG_2979

I’ve just been to nangang for gymnastics and I was next to the athlete’s floor.

1 Like

As usual, ther eis this segment of the media that likes to boast the “foreigners are evil” line. Aside from the French lover bit, there was an gasp scandalous piece on drunk foreign athletes standing in teh middle of the roads close to teh village taking selfies. Not the wisest thing to do at 3am, but with no traffic. Drunk college boys, gee, color me surprised. As if we had ot diowzens of drunken adults and middle agers playing Fast and Furious every weekend -and weekdays too- just in our neck of the woods.

As to the qualiofications, geez, it is almsot insulting. I did hera teh “false athletes” bit referring to local ones, but at least the foreign ones forom the ol country must qualify with cvertain times and scores. There were fights in otehr countries when people were chosen over otehrs in spite of betters cores due to “connections”, but ours qualified in country, teh regionals and then could come here. As a matter of fact, one of te guys was very dissapointed as he had made better time before and expected to have a better performance here. Heat, jet lag and otehr factors like food and such prevented him from giving hsi best. “But that is no excuse”, he told me. “I will train harder and make a better time”, he promised.

And yes, the body types ain’t just someone they grabbed off the street. Insulting indeed.

I guess venue control is crucial at track and field. They want a minimum of people in the arena at any one time, i.e. not even athletes have access outside of their event itself. Partly to do with doping controls, partly because its very stressful running multiple events at the same time in one arena. You’ve got javelin’s flying and starting blocks needing to be removed in a 10 second window. Not even coaches are allowed in.