Typhoons 2016

I apologize if my wording came through as being insensitive to the people living in the South…that wasn’t my intention. I’m not wishing death or destruction to anyone anywhere during this typhoon…Since Meranti’s predicted path by many weather stations seems to be through the South of the Island, I was just hoping that it doesn’t make a 90 degree turn to the North…I’ve been planning this trip for a long time as it’s my Honeymoon…trust me, if it was any other day, I would be glad to get a typhoon day off :grin:

Ho ho, good eye, I never noticed that.
Holy crap, GFS has things getting pretty purplish for the north mid-morning tomorrow.

CNN summarizes our itsy bitsy problem:

The tropical storm-force wind field from Meranti stretches more than 350 miles (560 km) from one end to the other; Taiwan is only about 230 miles long.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/12/asia/typhoon-meranti-weather/

Already rain and strong winds here in Taitung

Stay safe!

We’ve had wind coming from the North the whole day. Suddenly, 10/15 minutes it started to blow from the South, the temperature dropped a lot and now it’s raining quite heavily. And the rain is REALLY cold.

http://www.dgpa.gov.tw/ndse.html

Some new start to show up, Taidong/Pindong unsurprisingly will be off tomorrow.

Eh, guys, Malakas typhoon will start affecting us on Thursday. By the time Meranti hits China, Malakas will be arriving in Taiwan from a North-Eastern path -headed towards Japan.

Hence, all the island will be affected, by either one or both typhoons. One hits down South, the other will try its best to take care of us North.

Stay safe. Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.

That northern band seems to have struck here in Neihu, Taipei. Let the fun begin… stay dry, everyone!

Zhongshan, Taipei, is getting hit very hard right now with rain.

Incoming flash flood.

Harsh intermittent showers and heavy gusting out of a piss yellow sky in beautiful Zhonghe. Very pre-typhoony.

Until you described it as “piss yellow”, I was enjoying the same odd light in Danshui! And yes, suddenly heavy rain out here too, at the end of an otherwise lovely day.

You know what they say about people who refer to rain as piss yellow don’t you? Oh my bad, piss yellow sky! never mind

CIMSS AMSU: 892 hPa 179 knots Bias Corr: 0 (MW) Date: 09130950

Last year Soudelor peaked at 900hPa, Dujuan at 925 hPa (lower value = stronger). It looks like this Typhoon dodging Taiwan will be greatly appreciated.

<Analysis at 12 UTC, 13 September>
Scale -
Intensity Violent
Center position N20°25’ (20.4°)
E122°55’ (122.9°)
Direction and speed of movement WNW 25 km/h (13 kt)
Central pressure 890 hPa

Hayan at peak intensity was 895. Early forecast about Meranti being a Cat 3 were completely wrong, I’m really glad Taiwan will dodge the worst part of it.

Typhoon already hit Orchid Island, knocked out power for 3000 people.

Landfall after midnight. Worse for the South between 6 and 8 am.

In Lanyu? That’s very far from the typhoon’s center, wow.

Good night

Batten down the hatches southern folk, she’s a blowin!

I guess it’s too early for the weather watchers on Forumosa. I was expecting a little update this morning. Maybe in an hour or two. Wake up dudes!