Typhoons 2016

It was raining and blowing and feeling far more like a typhoon in Taipei this morning when I left than when I arrived in Tainan a few hours later. I imagine that trend will reverse itself in a few hours or so.

Waking up Hoping it was non working day but …it was working day
Judging from my location A - it was not raining and no wind so didn’t wear my big rainy boots.

Arrive at my work station and here we have gusty weather and all my toes are soaking wet inside my flat red shoes.

A bit windy and some rain here in Yilan, but nothing to worry about. Today could be rough for the South-West, winds on that side will be weaker but rain may be an issue. Even Tainan has been called off (from the afternoon).
China might have it worse, though. Very often even when a typhoon becomes much weaker after passing through Taiwan, the Chinese coast shows a lot of damage and flooding. This one kinda dodged Taiwan for the most partr, and even if our mountains are weakening it, it’s still headed directly for Taiwanese Xiamen.

Malakas has been upgradded to typhoon. Will definitely affect Yilan/Taipei, though it’s too early to guess how much that will be.

The forecasters are warning about strong winds, even in Taipei. Chec out the CNN report, there is a link to James Reynold’s shot in Kenting. It can get pretty ugly.

Plus it is just starting. We have Malakas behind this one. So keep boots and raincoats handy.

RIP red shoes? My light blue sandals died after Friday’s deluge.

morning Icon,

Yep probably RIP to my red shoes :disappointed:
Anyway, can’t check news on TV …:smiley: i dont have time to call for cable connection.
(me and kiddo) basically depends on our mobile phones.

And I also depends on Forumosa friends to update the news here :grin:

I am far from the TV set at work, but I have news alerts on LINE and several news apps -you can watch TV news live on some of them. ETToday, for example, is quite graphic.

Local news are a must for typhoons and other localized accidents. This is when it would come handy to have a real English radio station, for instance.

But, all things considered, I’d settle for DULAN DRIFT! Where are you, man? :sob:

Riding my scooter to work today was a bit challenging. The wind gusts were pretty strong and hitting sideways.
And I even have to ride with both hands on handlebars! :grinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ort_Zhvs-84

Hello Icon! It’s relatively ok here in Taidong but it must be hell on earth in Pingdong! Gusts up to 320kph supposedly and now they are getting 100+ mill of rain per hour, and over 500 mil this morning. That’s already landslide level.

Interestingly, the typhoon has crept much further north than the JTWC forecast and the eye is now nestled into the south coast. If it has second thoughts and decides to stall and then head north as one model still predicts, then Pingdong will be an utter disaster area. Places like Kenting must already be smashed to bits by the wind alone.

:happyrunningaround:

Your holiness! Glad you made it across the river. good to have you back.

Yeah, my worst fear is that this thing pulls a Nari and/or stalls, considering there is another one right behind it and may get funky interactions.

the wind was so strong, the red port side mark, which is a small metal light house shaped structure, at Taidong’s Fukang harbor snapped in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_OYXkP5Bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7GWNiQdw-c

Next one still edging closer

Jeez, I walk in the house last night, and the TV news is on, sorry, TV “news”, and they’re showing the exact friggin windyty footage I’d been looking at on my work computer all day.

I’m like “You fuckers are even less about the whole value add deal than usual, aren’t you?”

Haha, yeah that’s what I thought. Maybe the weather gods were listening.

I hope this one leaves and goes to China asap and the next one makes the u-turn faster and goes to Japan instead as early as possible.

I don’t know, it keeps turning away from him! Circling around him like, taunting him. Maybe it will create a giant circulating spiral that will have the desired effect though.

boss heard the howling winds … …
boss say: just in case please don’t forget to take your laptop home.

I got this via e-mail:

Mid-Autumn Festival is approaching, so that everyone can get an early start on the holiday, we will release all Asia associates earlier today.

Yay?