2020 Cycling Goals

This year’s kms were more than previous ones, less than I’d hoped but enough to not be ashamed when wearing my bike nerd T-shirt.

I should make a shout out to Giant. My 2004 TCR Zero (i.e. naked frame and fork, add your own Campag Record).

We’re easily past 250,000 km this year. The clear coat has chipped off in many places especially around the bottom bracket The rivets that hold the brake cable guides have been replaced twice. Sweat does that! Worn out two carbon wheels too. Broken at the brake rim. Once you’re down to less than 1 mm thickness those potholes will get you in the end

But she’s still as fast and stiff as ever. Still rocking 7 kg and 50:34 compact on an 11/27 cassette. My favorite climbing bike!

2 Likes

Pleeeease share picturesssssss

I should add this was my race bike for a long time and has seen several serious crashes as a result. Been upside down more often than recommended. But even hitting shit like guard rails and cars, it’s still an awesome bike. Totally over engineered! I expect another 20 years of service

For comparison, my other bikes are (in order of how much I ride them), a 1994 GT Zaskar mountain bike single speed with slicks fir pub cruising, a 1984 San Rensho track bike, a 1982 Colnago Super (sunny Sundays only) and a 1994 Greg Lemond.

1 Like

The Zaskar is an absolute classic. Raw aluminum frame, Bomber air shocks. Fly saddle. Front disk. Rear v. Brakes

I’ll race you up any mountain on this single speed. It’s so good!

I think I have it at 42-17 which is a great ratio for Taiwan

1 Like

Been trying to figure out who “you” is and if I have any advantages except for my lighter bike I I were to take you up…but I can’t find any :laughing:

Obviously you is you, @ranlee

My goal for 2020 was to get out on the bike at all, and I managed about 1000km which is pretty good. Depressingly I feel like my heyday of 5000km a year commuting each day in all weathers is behind me, along with my 20s now, but for the last couple of years I’ve been off the bike after a loss of confidence :frowning: - anyway achievement unlocked!

Goal for 2021 is to go on a cycling holiday somewhere, covid-permitting the far east albeit unlikely this year, but Wales/Ireland/France/Scotland (again) are all on the list also. And get some of that base fitness back.

2 Likes

Been looking at a new bike, just because it’s time.

What in the sweet potato is going on here? SRAM Force for 5,000GBP? That’s mental, is that the going rate these days? Apart from the blueteeth rear end (which just seems ridiculous to me) that’s a highly-inflated 2,000GBP bike. Or am I just out-of-touch/a tight-arse?

It’s the new electronic force, so if comparing to the force of old it’s not really apples to apples. That said, I have no idea what bikes in that class (top end frame with e-force) go for now…my guess is something similar.

Also, there’s a tremendous demand now for bicycles and it wouldn’t surprise me if manufacturers have adjusted their 2021 pricing accordingly.

1 Like

Curious to know how this happened? Did you take a bad spill? Put on weight? I’m at a very confident stage, but I somehow suspect that that’s not going to last.

4,999 GBP is roughly 178,000NTD

Frame - 70,000 NTD - ish
SRAM Red eTap - 63,000NTD
Carbon disc wheels - 25,000NTD
Other carbon Giant components take up the rest of the quota.

Sounds about right.

Giant also came out with their Contend line…worth a look for something for budget friendly.

100% sure I’d lose any uphill distance under 6km :laughing:

I overdid it, basically. Commuted via bike for two years whilst competitive rowing (averaged 13 hours cardio per week by the end of it). One of the ladies in the club fluttered their eyelashes at me and convinced me to spend a sunday rowing a half marathon distance with them. I never felt the same after that.

Basically had aching muscles and felt tired which never got better until i fainted in the toilet a week or so later at work. Doctors couldn’t find anything, then i had a stomach ache for about two years, at which point i decided to try to get back on the bike. Then my appendix went. It was fun lol

Doctors eventually were 50/50 on it being a stomach ulcer or a nervous breakdown.

All fine now though, I think? :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like sometimes too much of something is never good. Glad you’re doing better and can get back on the bike!

I have officially accomplished…the only accomplishable goal that I set for myself yesterday. Last year I was at 8070.1km for the year and I am at 8190km as of yesterday. I have about 60km to finish in the next two days, so I will surpass my initial goal by just a little.

As for traveling somewhere outside of Taiwan to cycle, that was clearly unattainable after March, so…we will have to skip that one this year.

2 Likes

This.
Not to pump your tires too much but, “Ranlee is going 100k+, uphill, the least I can do is 50k on flat” was my mantra this year. Keep doing your thing.

2 Likes

Thanks mang.

Personally, I prefer to climb. There’s just something about the suffering and how it really gets my mind off of the everything.

Ok, let’s be honest, I climb, so I can enjoy the free mileage while descending.

1 Like

Deleted. Wrong thread. I moved it to 2021.