All the recent foreigner drug busts

Do all foreign teachers do drugs? you talking about MJ, or nicotine or crack or what?
What a question! I’m sure MANY would take the fifth, if we had such protection here.
AND I would wager that most have TRIED maryjewwanna, based on Western statistics, and many would ENJOY them here if they could GET some, or if it were OFFERED them; and even MORE would PARTICIPATE in such activity if it were more readily AVAILABLE, and not CRIMINALIZED. :stuck_out_tongue:
Taiwan has unfortunately followed the U.S.’ general example by criminalizing what is a natural GIFT, in terms of medicine and hemp, a wonderfully useful material that even their ‘forefathers’ grew in crops, used as ship rope, clothing, and wrote the US Constitution on.

youtube.com/watch?v=Reh4_AP_ … r_embedded

yaoshema - I’m not exactly sure what “take the fifth” means. It’s some kind of measurement for bottles, isn’t it? What is it in normal language (ie liters)?

You can buy hemp products easily and legally, you just can’t buy it and smoke it.

[quote]Do all foreign teachers do drugs? you talking about MJ, or nicotine or crack or what?
What a question! I’m sure MANY would take the fifth, if we had such protection here.
AND I would wager that most have TRIED maryjewwanna, based on Western statistics, and many would ENJOY them here if they could GET some, or if it were OFFERED them; and even MORE would PARTICIPATE in such activity if it were more readily AVAILABLE[/quote]

Guys, are you still here or were you all arrested over the weekend? :astonished:

I’m not cool enough to be offered drugs.

[quote=“cfimages”]yaoshema - I’m not exactly sure what “take the fifth” means. It’s some kind of measurement for bottles, isn’t it? What is it in normal language (ie liters)?

You can buy hemp products easily and legally, you just can’t buy it and smoke it.[/quote]

It refers to the American 5th amendment in the US constitution. It deals with the right to avoid self incrimination. I’m not sure it is still relavent anymore, the US constitution has lost a lot of its meaning in the last 8 years or so.

[quote=“Gman”][quote=“cfimages”]yaoshema - I’m not exactly sure what “take the fifth” means. It’s some kind of measurement for bottles, isn’t it? What is it in normal language (ie liters)?

You can buy hemp products easily and legally, you just can’t buy it and smoke it.[/quote]

It refers to the American 5th amendment in the US constitution. It deals with the right to avoid self incrimination. I’m not sure it is still relavent anymore, the US constitution has lost a lot of its meaning in the last 8 years or so.[/quote]

Thanks Gman. Definitely not relevant in Taiwan then.

I was sent this from a friend in Taichung… some parts of this are very interesting…

Last week a foreigner who has been in Taichung a long time and is well known to bicycle industry people was arrested and this is part of a massive clamp down of westerners who have been able to abuse the legal system here forever due to the fact the Police are too lazy to do anything about it.

They in usual Taiwan style have now gone 120% the other way are supposedly offering cash rewards for people to report any dope smokers / drug users.

This guy is nagged up in jail and it will be at least 4-6 weeks before he can speak to any family and at least seven years in jail for using dope. If you are ever slightly tempted to give it a go when in Taiwan, then rest assured if you get caught or reported, then you are looking at some serious punishment.

Don’t even think because you are from the West you can buy your way out or get a good lawyer, the law here works in very different ways and when they say seven years, they mean seven years.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

Last week a foreigner who has been in Taichung a long time and is well known to bicycle industry people was arrested and this is part of a massive clamp down of westerners [/quote]

Another one or is this the same golf/english teacher dude? If it’s a new chap, what is his nationality?

Perhaps we should get Brian Funshine to sing this song I wrote and the police can play it when they’re making their raids to let the dealers know they’re onto them. :thumbsup:

Should be the same guy, because I also heard “7 years”. Only connection to the bike industry is that most of the bike guys are big golfers.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]They in usual Taiwan style have now gone 120% the other way are supposedly offering cash rewards for people to report any dope smokers / drug users.
[/quote]

Well that’s it. I’m going to be able to retire and run away to Tasmania with Buttercup. To all my Taichung friends: No hard feelings, right?

What happened? Did they build some new prisons and there werent enough Taiwanese to put there? Whats up? Why would they want to house and keep a whole bunch of people?

The Schedules and Items of Controlled Drugs are here: nbcd.gov.tw/home/english_ver … aws01.aspx (May not be the updated Mandate. Laws were recently amended)

Drugs and the Justice System

How do the Taiwanese authorities categorize the arrests relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, and manufacturing of narcotic drugs?

Unlawful Possession

Are most of those arrested for drug offenses charged with possession rather than with the sale or manufacture of drugs?

If your housemate/roommate has copious amounts of unlawful drugs in his possession and is arrested, will everybody in the house be charged for aiding and abetting a criminal?

Sale

A Taiwanese acquaintance got busted with 50 plants. He is facing 6 years. Sounds like 6-7 years is the norm.

Use

What are the implications of failing a drug test here in Taiwan?

Deportation?
Jail sentence?

Manufacturing

Guessing this one comes with a heavy penalty, as it may be seen as the source of all illicit drugs.

Feel feel to add info to the list

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

Last week a foreigner who has been in Taichung a long time and is well known to bicycle industry people was arrested and this is part of a massive clamp down of westerners [/quote]

Another one or is this the same golf/english teacher dude? If it’s a new chap, what is his nationality?

Perhaps we should get Brian Funshine to sing this song I wrote and the police can play it when they’re making their raids to let the dealers know they’re onto them. :thumbsup:

[quote]
Riding in the City of Taichung
Taiwan Buxiban, Monday morning deal
Fifteen Saffies and fifteen Canucky teachers
All lining up for their weekly meal

CHORUS:
Good morning Taichung how are you?
Don’t you know me I’m your Foreign son,
I’m the dealer they call Mr. Canoooky :laughing:
I’ll be popular with all the expats when the day is done.

Dealin’ pot and seeds with the foreign gentry
Pass the bag, teacher needs some more.
See that man drinking the whisbih?
Watch out, he could be a local NARC whore.

And the sons of welfare mothers
And the sons of Khaosan Road
Ride their scooters home to their xiojies in need.
It’s time for rumpy pumpy after smoking the weed!!!

[/quote][/quote]

NICE twist on an oldie but goodie :

Good morning, America, how are you?
Say, don’t you know me, I’m your native son
I’m the train they call the city of New Orleans
I’ll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done

The guy who was arrested last week had nothing to do with the bike industry… He may have been friends with folks who do work in the bike industry, but he certainly didn’t work for a bike company… I only know him very indirectly through friends of friends and had no idea he was augmenting his income herbally, but rumor is that he was far from discreet in his operations… Regardless I hope he gets a fair deal and this doesn’t ruin his life, I really don’t see the victim in this scenario, other than the profits of the ubiquitous Taiwanese gangsters who sling pills and powders from every two bit KTV and disco in Taichung, entirely unmolested by police…

anybody seen jimi around? aint seen him online in a few days?

Stay safe with alchohol :slight_smile: (in moderation please) say no to drugs

I really don’t know why you’d fuck around with illegal drugs here. Several years in a Taiwanese jail or death are both very long times. Get over-the-counter drugs if necessary. I’m so paranoid about the whole possibility of someone trying to use me as an unwilling mule that I have been known to get my bags shrink-wrapped before coming back into Taiwan.

Well as I said it’s just what was sent to me. I don’t know the people involved directly or indirectly. It’s just what I was sent in an email.

I don’t know what you consider a fair deal if you get caught dealing drugs is? Doubtless if convicted some penalty plus deportation at the end. I guess his life in Taiwain is ruined if convicted. Sounds like a good thing I don’t visit those two bit KTV’s and discos around Taiwan.

Of course many foreigners teach English here. Parent’s will rightly be concerned after all this news being in the local press that their kids English Teachers may be invloved with drugs. Teachers are valued in Chinese society and what they do reflects on the rest of the community.

Taiwanese teachers are valued here in Taiwan. Many of the rest of us (including/especially those of us who are certified teachers working in the Taiwanese system) are treated with a complete lack of respect and lack of professional courtesies. The above quote only applies to us when we fuck up. The rest of the time, it’s dance monkey, dance!

Of course this whole drug bust thing is blown way out of proportion, but if it were widespread, then that would only be the Taiwanese watching their chickens come home to roost. If they want quality, they should pay for it. Instead, they get any Canadian backpacker with no background check because he’s cheap. What do they expect?

They now exoect there’s a good chance of the furriners teaching English to be drug users

so why dont you market yourself as a drug free furriner teacher?

Maybe can get back above the falling pay scale, like

1500-2000 nt/hr = fluent mandarin foreigner with MTESOL/Cert…
1000 nt/hr = drug free foreigner
7-800 nt/hr = fluent mandarin foreigner with MTESOL/Cert… plus druug habit
500 nt/hr = qualified local/ unqualified furriner
300 nt/hr = unqualified local
150 = unqualified foreigner with drug habit