And yet another consequence of Taiwan Parenting Issues (spoilt, lack of belt)

Someone has been watching too many movies.

2 Likes

After the knife attack on the Blue Line years ago, I sometimes look at suspiciously looking people on the MRT and think about how to take them down in case they start attacking people. The chances (of anyone attacking) are really remote I think.

1 Like

Shoooooot, even our dogs get in on the gun action.

2 Likes
1 Like

I wasn’t bragging about my streetfighting prowess. Simply stating that in Taiwan it’s very rare for people to fuck with you. And if they do, it’s usually very cautiously. Could also be that I’m nearly 60. Filial piety and unwarranted respect for old people, maybe.

Yes. It just shows how fucked up some of our own countries are.

I have a friend that was attacked and then run over because he laughed too loudly in a pub.

I was attacked by a group of lads as a teenager. My crime was to go on a run past where they were drinking.

My big brother was attacked for waiting at the wrong bus stop.

Taiwan is great. The UK is terrible for this kind of shite.

4 Likes

Probably more logical to worry about some food scandal knifing your kidneys than a crazy person on the mrt.

4 Likes

It’ll apparently be around 40 C (!!!) in Paris today. :astonished:

Guy

My nephew does exactly that in his high school. Every semester he needs to choose a topic for independent learning in a specific field and keep detailed notes of his activities. At the end of the semester he needs to give a PPT presentation and submit a research paper. They have a few periods each week to do some of this research/experimentation at school, but it’s mostly done in their free time.

Here’s a pattern-
Murder rate per 100,000:
Taiwan 0.82
US 4.96

3 Likes

Correlation does not equal causation.

Spoiled I’ll agree with. Unrealistic expectations in regards to children. Studying to learn to pass a test but not really knowing anything beyond that. Definitely. Blame shifting for childrens poor performance. Most likely to happen from the helicopter parent/grandparents.

I sort of compare Taiwan kids with Japanese kids. Japanese kids are given responsibilities and live in an incredibly safe environment. Yet Japan still has the same sort of trouble with unmotivated kids growing up into unmotivated adults.

Part of this is that they understand just how expensive the society they live in is. And that their abilities to fully participate in that society will never be a reality.

In Taiwan kids pretty much grow up inside their apartments with their parents. The vast majority of their interaction with the outside world is going to school and then anchingban. That’s it. Occasional trips out with their parents or school trips. They get dropped off at school, at least for almost their entire elementary school life, and picked up from school by someone from their anchingban. They do whatever it is they do in their afternoon babysitting classes and then get picked up by a parent.

Part of this is due to the history of attacks against kids and young women in Taiwan. People fear their kids will be the next victim. Gang violence also doesn’t help. And is more common than we hear about even in the local news. But usually restricted to people between the ages of 15-30.

The biggest problem is the first born son syndrome. I’ve seen it too many times to care about it anymore. And it’s not restricted to Taiwanese or Chinese culture. It’s still fairly common where I hail from. Kids, especially within a family unit pick up on this type of favoritism pretty quickly and see how the chosen one can do no wrong while they themselves are criticized for rather banal things.

2 Likes

That’s why I live here Taiwan, had enough of the U.K. constantly watching your back, everything being stolen and I come from a country town.

4 Likes

Everything gets stolen. Everything. No one trusts anyone in public and In society here.

Just had lunch yesterday with my fiancée cousin. She just finished her undergrad at Imperial College and we were talking about our experience in higher education here. Yes, the UK has world leading Unis but we were both surprised that most of the students are not British and the foreign students on average out perform native born students.

Something is seriously wrong here.

1 Like

https://www.moms.com/negative-parents-influence-child-more-than-positive-parents-says-psychologist/

1 Like

I don’t see how most of the students could be foreign students. Maybe it was the course your friend took? Engineering, law etc. maybe.

Foreign students outperforming the home students I can believe.

As far as the thieving goes, there aren’t enough police. About 20 cops on duty, at any one time in my city, my mate who is a cop told me. Considering half will be doing paperwork or other non crime fighting duties at any one time, the chances of being caught are virtually nil. He reckons that 99 percent of trouble is from the same small percentage of people. Generations of the same families who don’t give a fuck. They also know they won’t get caught. My mate told me directly that the only way you will get a cop to come out is if you say there is a robbery/attack in progress. Come back from holiday and your house has been robbed? Here is a crime number.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this in top programs and in STEM and Finance/Accounting.

We had a 50/50 split of men and women (went to a top 5 finance masters program) and there was only 4 British women. I guess the rest are busy with their only fans :joy:

3 Likes

They don’t want to catch ‘em.
I had my bike stolen outside a shop within 3 minutes, I go to local police station Sunday closed for lunch 3 hours. Large market town Beverley.
I go back to shop and asked about CCTV. Very helpful young manger asked what time and where was bike. 2 hours later calls me saying, we have the lad who knicked it in video but can’t see his face. Wearing colourful Distinctive sneakers and cap and backpack.
I’m at police station after lunch 3 lunch break, not a police officer regular stand in guy, nice bloke but just says you won’t see it again.
Manager at shop sends them video clip after I have crime report number.
Next morning the police call me say they have video but can’t see his face so forget, I say what if I use clip put it on the Beverley Facebook- cop was horrified at the thought OH NO I WOULD NOT ADVISE IT!
I say someone local would recognise his clothing.
He said: don’t even think about “he’ll say he lent them clothes to a mate “ :frowning_with_open_mouth:
Then forget about it your not from this area , think yourself lucky you didn’t lose your wallet.
End of conversation.

3 Likes

If people think taiwanese parents are too controlling or taiwanese children have too less freedom then clearly they havent been to other countries like india. But the again , this part of a culture or a country is not often represented in media and can only be experienced mostly by spending time there.

2 Likes

Bezos is the only one in that list that is correct.

1 Like