Anyone want to join me in complaining to EZ Way about foreign names on Shopee etc.?

It’s in the local culture to be able to use the Roman alphabet to spell your name .

2 Likes

I don’t find this to be much of your business, tbh (although I have previously explained it elsewhere).

Ordering some stuff on Shopee with a Chinese name vs. an English name has little to do with “integration” - I’m just trying to order some stuff on Shopee, and I think I should be able to do that with my actual name. This is also accepted by EZ Way and Taiwan customs.

Incidentally, I have had a Chinese name before (when I lived in China). There just isn’t one on my ARC, and I don’t want one on my ARC, and I especially don’t want to deal with all the shit that comes along with being forced to get the new number then having to update it everywhere else, not to mention having to find the time to go to immigration at least twice and wait however long it takes to update an ARC. It’s a whole lot of hassle just to order something on Shopee.

If you want a Chinese name, go for it. I don’t. Similarly, if Chinese/Taiwanese people want to go by an English name, I’ll use that, and if they prefer to go by their actual name, I’m happy to use that. It’s the person’s choice.

And as Brian said, the Roman/Latin alphabet is also used here. It’s not like I’m asking Shopee to let me enter my name in Burmese.

1 Like

Another update. Only 24 days after my initial e-mail to Shopee and a mere 20 days since complaining to EZ Way, slashing their already ambitious lead time of 20–30 working days by an astonishing 10%, I got the notification today that my real-name verification is finally complete.

But there’s a but:

shopee

Shopee has entered my real name as 安德魯, i.e., An-De-Lu, rather than my actual non-Chinese name. I did actually enter 安德魯 myself at some point while I was frustrated with the system – it wouldn’t let me proceed further because that’s not the name on my ARC so the details didn’t match up, and it wouldn’t let me delete or overwrite the name either. I’m guessing that Shopee got the name from there. It’s not the name on my EZ Way profile either.

I’m loath to bring this up with Shopee again and wait another 20–30 days for them to fix it, so I think I’m just going to place the order, choose cash on delivery, and see whether it comes through despite the name mismatch between my Shopee and EZ Way profiles.

Do people reckon this will cause a problem?

Yet another update:

Yeah, that didn’t work. Shopee cancelled my orders again because the name info they’d manually entered after 24 days didn’t match that on the EZ Way system. Obviously.

So they’ve asked me to send a screenshot of my registration info on EZ Way. This is something I’ve done twice already. :neutral_face::gun:

3 Likes

I feel your pain. Hang in there!

1 Like

Their response to that e-mail providing the screenshot of my EZ Way registration info was to ask for yet another screenshot of the Shopee page showing my real-name verification (so just 安德魯 and my phone number, which they updated themselves).

I already preemptively sent this yesterday with my initial e-mail. :weary: :gun: :gun:

I had the same happen to me. The problem seems to be that I have an English name on Shopee and a Chinese name at EZ Way. That being the case, there is no way to do verification as such.

I waited 3 weeks for something out of China (pre-paid). Then it was turned back at customs. I did get a refund but … not my item.

The stupid saga continues. Shopee’s response today:

非常感謝您的來信,關於您反應的事項,與您說明:

很抱歉造成您的困擾,因目前蝦皮APP的關務署實名認證無法填入英文名稱,
因此先前僅協助您將蝦皮 APP 內的 關務署實名認證更改為驗證成功,
目前需要請您至 EZWAY APP 內修改您的名稱為【安德魯】,以利後續您完成下單,再勞煩您,謝謝。

若您後續還有任何疑問,歡迎您隨時與我們聯繫。

Machine translation:

Thank you very much for your letter. Regarding your response, I will explain to you:

Sorry for your troubles, because the real-name authentication of the Customs Administration of Shopee APP cannot fill in the English name.
Therefore, I only assisted you to change the real-name authentication of the Customs Administration in the Shopee APP to a successful verification.
At present, you need to go to the EZWAY APP to change your name to “安德魯”, so that you can complete the order in the future, thank you for your trouble.

If you have any further questions, you are welcome to contact us at any time.

So in other words, they’ve made me wait a month while they manually update my name on Shopee to a name that doesn’t match the name on my ARC and EZ Way, and then suggested that I should update my ARC and EZ Way to that name for the order to go through otherwise it’s not possible to order.

Of course, if I’d added a Chinese name to my ARC and EZ Way, there would be no need for them to spend 20-30 working days to manually update my name on Shopee in the first place because the system would have been able to accept the input. :thinking:

1 Like

Final update, hopefully. I think I might have got it sorted.

Shopee won’t budge on its “thank you for your e-mail, our system only accepts Chinese names so resident foreigners without Chinese names can sod off, hope that helps” policy, but I cc’d EZ Way on my last complaint to Shopee last night, and they subsequently agreed to just add “安德魯” to my EZ Way profile despite that not being on my ARC.

I guess they were bored of hearing from me, but they’ve been a lot more helpful than Shopee, somewhat surprisingly.

So it seems the order should go through now, fingers crossed.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Have you ever bought anything off shopee.tw?

I think that means messaging their support desk

Edit. Whoops I just realised this is a year old lol

It is, but the same fucking issue has now happened again when I created a new EZWay profile for my APRC and new ID number last week, whereupon my old profile became unlinked from Shopee.

Shopee still only accepts Chinese names (edit), and now I need to go through all the bullshit again. An added issue is that I don’t think Shopee provides customer service over e-mail anymore and everything needs to be done in the app in Chinese.

I’m intending to file an MOI discrimination complaint and also complain to the Consumer Protection Committee this time, but I didn’t work up the energy yet.

2 Likes

Where?

For the customs/EZWay profile binding, as I said in the first paragraph and the topic of this entire thread…

Even for Taiwanese?

And what’s wrong with foreign names? Doesn’t your ARC list your foreign name?

EDIT I just read your whole story and saw that it was EZ Way which insisted you use your Chinese name. This sounds like an EZ Way issue, but Shopee.

If the government uses romanized names for ARC holders, then EZ Way should follow suit.

What would be interesting is if a Taiwanese aboriginal complained…

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah, I meant “only accepts Chinese names” or “doesn’t accept foreign names” of course. My mistake.

No, it’s Shopee that requires the Chinese name, not EZWay.

EZWay allows only English/romanized names to be used (for people who aren’t from Taiwan, China, HK, or Macao), but Shopee doesn’t then let you link the EZWay profile to Shopee without a Chinese name, so you can’t order anything from abroad.

What EZWay did was a workaround after I kept complaining about it and Shopee refused to fix it to allow English names. EZWay itself has been allowing English names only for non-China/HK/Macao foreigners since 2021 or so.

1 Like

I think this might be a more pressing case Taiwan's Indigenous people allowed to use romanized name on IDs | Taiwan News | 2022-04-15 12:18:00

@Satellite_TV what do you think?

Here is a facebook group to bring the issue to Redirecting...

1 Like

I’d be totally fine if those people started complaining too.

Though I’m not sure their issue would be with Shopee? It seems like EZWay still requires Chinese names for Taiwanese citizens, so even if Shopee allowed English names they wouldn’t be able to register an EZWay profile anyway?

Will send that page a message anyway, thanks!

I mean, you could complain to pretending to be a Taiwanese aboriginal; filing a complaint [to a non-gov’t company] under an alias isn’t against the law.