Appreciation of Physical Attributes

This has probably been mentioned before, but I can’t understand why people here go in for plastic surgery to “correct” their eyes. I don’t know the English for it, but I’m sure many of you are aware that getting your eyes cut so that you have shuangyanpi (something like “double eyelines”) is a very popular surgery here.

Now, I can see getting a little tummy work done or adding some hair to the shrinking forest on top of one’s head, but getting your eyes cut seems a bit overboard. I find danyanpi to be just as attractive as shuangyanpi.

I’ve never been one to be attracted to a particular “type.” For me, a woman’s beauty is derived from a variety of sources. A kind heart and a sharp intellect really enhance a woman’s beauty, in my eyes. So too can small-mindedness and selfishness detract from an outwardly gorgeous woman’s beauty.

So if the eye surgery is very popular here in Taiwan, Taiwanese women also traditionally have thin eyes, too?

I’ve heard about that surgery. Some Japanese, Taiwanese, Hong Kong, Korean, Singapore, Vietnamese girls have their eyes done…

Just for curiousity…technically, can someone’s small eyes be :shock: cut to be made big?

If that’s true, it seems REALLY scary! Do they really cut the edges of the eyes and stretch them or making double eyelines just make small eyes appear big? Is it sort of illusion?

Personally, I am absolutely against ALL kinds of plastic surgeries, unless someone’s born with a deformed body part.

As the subject of this thread is on “appreciation of physical attributes”, I’m talking about this kind of superficial aspect…

For me, both men and women look truly beautiful when they are devoted to something they are passionate about…sparkling eyes, passion and energy they exude…They simply shine.
That’s why maybe ALL the DJs look so attractive to me when they mix or scratch music :smiley: :sunglasses: :wink: LOL.

Point of clarification- isn’t it the eyelid that gets cut for shuangyanpi plastic surgery, not the eye? That’d be a wee little feat if they were actually cutting the eyes themselves

I knew a Korean girl who said literally half of her college classmates (30 of 60 girls) in Korea had had the surgery done, the pressure to have plastic surgery there must be incredibly high

Neo wrote:

I guess you are right…but then why are they so keen on making just a line above their each eyelid?? I don’t get it…

:?: :?: Couldn’t it be that she was exaggerating?
I have lots of Korean friends and as far as I know, NONE of my Korean female friends have done that kind of surgery as well as other types of plastic surgeries. :wink:

I doubt it was an exaggeration.

Plastic surgery clinics are more common than Burger Kings in Seoul. High proportion of Korean men are very chauvinist. The pressure for plastic surgery is indeed extremely high.

If that’s true, it’s sad…that a woman has to alter her appearance to please her man’s eyes.

There’s a saying that birds of a feather flock together. Maybe all my Korean friends are not that vain.

The ratio of beautiful women in Korea is astounding. There’s a city called Daegu, where you find about 8 to 9 out of 10 girls on the street look like models. It’s famous for apples and most of the Miss Korea winners come from that part of Korea.

I suggest you search Google for the terms: korean girl eye surgery

Click here and here.

As in the rest of Asia, South Korea’s primary cosmetic obsession is with the eyes. Having bigger eyes is every girl’s dream, and it can now be realized through a simple $800 operation, in which a small incision or suture is made above the eye to create an artificial double lid. Teenagers as young as 14 are doing it, and eye jobs have become a favorite high school graduation gift from proud parents.

Clinics are busiest during winter vacations, when high school seniors are preparing themselves for college or for entering the workplace. The majority come for the eyelids, but nose jobs are also becoming popular among teens. “Teenagers are plastic surgery experts,” marvels Dr. Lee Min Ku, a Seoul surgeon whose patients are mostly in their teens or 20s. “They tell the doctor, using scientific words, which surgery method to use.” But despite the medical knowledge they bring to the clinics, many teens still show their age. “They end up handing you a magazine,” says Lee, “and asking for T.V. star Kim Nam Ju’s eyes.”

And one more: People outside of the Asian culture do not understand the pressures Asian women experience in order to look a certain way. Kim says that the media play a big role in defining beauty in Korea. “Everybody wants that model-look with that perfect face and perfect body. They don’t even eat,” said Kim. “The average weight in Korea is like forty-some-odd kilograms, which is like 105 pounds.” Some Asian women even go as far as reshaping their calves to have longer legs or shaving their jawbone for a slimmer face.

Skulls & Bones Society :smiley: …yuck!
One thing these teenagers don’t know is that if they don’t eat, their bones will be weakened and that they can’t grow in height, either.

When I used to work in Hong Kong, I found many univ. girl students there replace their lunch with water!

At the place where I work, lots of office ladies are too thin, and eat ridiculously small lunches. A few of them look like they’re going to faint come late afternoon! What’s the rate of anorexia here, compared to Western countries?

[quote=“spacegal”]Couldn’t it be that she was exaggerating?
I have lots of Korean friends and as far as I know, NONE of my Korean female friends have done that kind of surgery as well as other types of plastic surgeries. :wink:[/quote]
She was describing it rather matter-of-factly, so I don’t think so. I was the one surprised, not her.

She even said that one of their family friends had it done and that when her father saw the results, her father even suggested maybe she should get it done.

Maybe your Korean girlfriends just don’t want to admit that they’re not naturally that beautiful :laughing:

I thought many Korean girls have rather big roundish eyes?!?! 8-)[/quote]
Korean girls traditionally have thin eyes. hmm… I heard that many of them these days have eye surgery to get larger/rounder eyes.[/quote]
I think the variety of beauty is a kind of pleasure to visions. I like the soul in the eyes. It’d be the best praise I can hear of if someone days," You’ve got spirit eyes." :shock:

She was describing it rather matter-of-factly, so I don’t think so. I was the one surprised, not her. She even said that one of their family friends had it done and that when her father saw the results, her father even suggested maybe she should get it done. Maybe your Korean girlfriends just don’t want to admit that they’re not naturally that beautiful :laughing:[/quote]

I think some Korean girls are not the only ones who are obsessed with shuangyanpi.

As for my Korean friends, although many of them have BIG SINGLE-lided eyes, they are all beautiful (inside and out), warm-hearted and altruistic and I miss them a lot! BTW, I think hooded eyes can be also sexy as hell. :sunglasses:

It is said to be a general phenomenon that many Asian girls are obsessed with wanting to look like TV actresses, not only in Korea, but also in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, etc.

Many Taiwanese girls wear parasols, some even on a cloudy day to keep their skin pale!!!

I recently saw from “Ripley’s Believe it or not” that a number of girls in Beijing and Shanghai undergo leg-extension surgery to elongate their legs and height - it made me feel dizzy and nearly throw up.

Ahh, I am tired of talking about girls’ beauty. Why don’t we talk about guys for a change??? :smiley:

Well, hey, if that leg-extension surgery were (a lot) cheaper, I’d do it. Last time I looked, it ran about US$75,000 and took months for the bones to grow out. (This was the Russian-developed procedure where they break the legbones and use an external brace to stretch the legs out as the two broken ends try to grow back together.)

I don’t need anything extended, thank you! :laughing:

I do

Limb extension surgery is really dangerous. I read a WSJ article on it and also saw a TV program on it. It was originally designed for little people who want to have a more “average” height, not for vain competitive people trying to become “above average”. They basically break and re-break your bones over several months using a screw, and as the bone is separated, new bone regrows in its place, extending it. The article I read had many horror stories of Chinese people trying to become taller but ending up screwing themselves over because of something that went wrong. One girl couldn’t walk for life. etc etc. I’m sure we would all like to have something changed about ourselves, but with all the risks involved with medical procedures, I just feel lucky that I’m healthy and don’t have some sort of life threating disease or a defect from birth.

Classic case of “a little knowledge is dangerous”. Health system in China seems a bit like the Wild West.

I saw something similar – a short girl who needed an extra inch or two so she could realise her dream of being an air stewardess. :unamused: And to think, she could have just got a job in Starbucks and done pretty much exactly the same thing, only without the problem of popping ears.

Skulls & Bones Society :smiley: …yuck! [/quote]
My little lady eats more heartily than I do, and she weighs in at just 41 kg, or 42 kg when she bloats up – which is my idea of the perfect weight for a Taiwanese girl of average height. I certainly wouldn’t call her “skinny”, just elegantly slender and charmingly waiflike. Her four sisters, each the proud mum of a small child, are just as slim, or even slimmer, than she is – in fact, she complains that she has the biggest backside among them. She also has a pair of well-rounded and distinctively womanly boobs.
And that is reason number 47 why I love living in Taiwan so much.

I’m well aware of the risks. I just want to get back the height I lost as a result of an accident.

i’d say girls everywhere are obsessed with wanting to look more beautiful. i certainly wouldn’t say it’s an asian phenomenon…