APRC After Gold Card - What are the rules?

Yes. As long as you have stayed more than 1.5 years from the first GC issue date.
And you have to proof financial assets or special skills and talents

Do you have a source for this?

You can refer to the conversation in the Gold Card Family in Taiwan Facebook group (need to be a Gold Card holder).

A holder asked about keeping the tax benefit if moved to APRC and it was explained by the National Taxation Bureau (contact info in the fb post if want to also reach out)

in order to enjoy the tax benefit as gold card holder , I have to ensure I have to extend my gold card expiration date for another 2 years. So after 3 years , once I get the APRC approval , I need to keep the soft copy of the gold card with new expiry date, then during the tax submission for 4th and 5th year , I can show the proof that my final gold card expire date still fall within the year for the tax declaration. With that I can still enjoy the tax benefit.

Of-course it would be good if the National Taxation Bureau announced it on their website or somewhere than just mentioning the rule over the phone.

1 Like

I need to retract the statement after further checkup. Iā€™m unable to confirm that the tax benefit remains when move from Gold Card to APRC (although the previous statements where made by the National Tax Bureau), therefore I recommended for certainty if want to continue to receive the tax benefit then remain on a Gold Card.

why not, after extension, simply stay on gold card for 2 more years then, before the switch to APRC?

1 Like

For anyone that has switched over from the Gold Card to the 6 month job seeking extension, do you retain your health insurance while on that type of ARC?

Why are you trying to switch over in the first place?

That is a downgrade. The gold card has open work privileges and an easier path to an APRC. Both of which do not require a job seeking ARC.

I think youā€™d have a hard time getting out of it tbh.

Presumably because they just need to complete the three-year period before being eligible for an APRC, and the job-seeking extension is free (I think; itā€™s cheaper than a second gold card anyway).

Some people do this. Itā€™s also useful if they got their first gold card based on salary but no longer meet the requirement.

1 Like

this makes sense to me.

Iā€™m about to hit the 2-year mark on my GC

1 Like

I just applied for my 6 months job seeking extension. Told to pick it up after 10 days. They also going to take my gold card. Can I ask them to keep it?

My big mistake is not applying the same extension for dependents. They said you could apply at the same time and save a trip. Iā€™m guessing the requirements will be the same for dependents.

Overall took less than 30 minutes. Helps that I went to the APRC office (different section in Taoyuan) to confirm my eligibility and the procedures.

Also applied for criminal record certificates for APRC. Website is a bit funky - keep getting error that the ID format is invalid. You have to specify that you want an English version of the report. This will allow you to enter passport number, upload passport image, and specify your English name. Asked for 2 copies ($100 for first copy, then $20 for the next, total $120). Supposed to pick up after 2.5 days,

1 Like

In 10 days time when can pick up the ARC, would that cut the Gold Card short of 3 years?
The NIA officer shouldnā€™t cut the Gold Card short of the 3 years though rather issue the extension effective from the time the Gold Card expires in accordance with the law. Until then your Gold Card is still active.

Article 13 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals

Where a foreign professional who engages in professional work in the State, or a foreign special professional who has obtained an Alien Resident Certificate under the provisions of Article 8 Paragraph 2 or an Employment Gold Card under the provisions of Article 9, before the effective term of their residency or Employment Gold Card has expired, still has need to reside, they and their spouse, children under the age of majority, and children over the age of majority who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, may apply to the NIA for an extension of residency.
Where an application for extension of residency as referred to in the preceding paragraph is approved, and an Alien Resident Certificate issued, the Alien Resident Certificate shall have an effective term of six months starting from the next day following the expiry of the original Alien Resident Certificate or Employment Gold Card; if needed, before this period expires, they may apply again for one further extension, for a total extension of residency up to a maximum of one year.

1 Like

I need to go back and make sure of this!
The person processing my request said the extension will be valid today! Reducing the gold card to less than 3 years!

Am i screwed?

Thank you!

No, since the law is on your sideā€¦ he likely realized that anyway once he tried to process it on the computer system.

1 Like

@pin2xbo Any updates on your application? Which date did the ā€œextensionā€ ARC had in the end?

You are a great use case for us all :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! I went back and made sure the 6 month looking for job ARC extension has an expiry date of 6 months AFTER my GC expire. The issue date was earlier than my GC expiration, but that was fine. Kind of have to fight for it and made sure they understood that i cannot have GC that is less than 3 years. Supervisor called and agreed finally.

I double confirmed with the APRC office to make sure I can still apply for APRC. She looked on the system and confirmed.

I got my new ARC after 10 days. It is the regular blue ARC. Kinda sadā€¦

I got ā€˜scoldedā€™ for not doing family extension all at once. Less headache for them i guess. We didnā€™t but itā€™s because we were renewing a passport and want the new ARC to reflect the new passport. Travelling soon.

Now i am just waiting for my GC to expire.

Iā€™m considering again whether I want to switch from a gold card to an APRC this year ā€“ in the last couple of months, Iā€™ve gone from not wanting to to contemplating it, and I guess if Iā€™m going to do it I may as well do it this year so I can be among the small group of foreigners that the Taiwanese government hasnā€™t excluded from the tax rebate.

This might be a niche question that nobody except immigration knows the answer to, but does anyone know whether 9B/gaofei income counts as ā€œincomeā€ for APRC purposes?

Based on previous tax years, I have some amount of discretion whether I declare a decent portion of my income as 9B-98 rather than overseas salary/wages (5F) ā€“ as in, I think it falls under 9B-98 and the tax office hasnā€™t disputed that so far, but Iā€™m guessing theyā€™d also be fine with me declaring it as 5F and paying additional taxes on it. Iā€™m probably above the limit either way (still need to check when Iā€™ve finished collating my invoices), but it would be more borderline if 9B-98 income doesnā€™t count for some reason.

Iā€™m planning to go check with the tax office and immigration early next week before I file taxes, but in the meantime, does anyone know?

1 Like

I asked the same question over here and didnā€™t get an answer

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s interesting. Is 9A professional practice income or something?

If I make it to immigration this week to ask, I can ask them about that too.

2 Likes

Yeah, other professional income.
Thanks

When would you be applying if you do? Mine would be in October. Iā€™m worried not about the process per se but about the nonsense that some officer might come up with. Gonna apply in KH and my experience with the public service here so far hasnā€™t beenā€¦ erm ermā€¦ ideal.