APRC After Gold Card - What are the rules?

I’m not in any immediate rush - my gold card is valid for another 2 years 9 months anyway (if I’d thought about this before, I might just have extended for one or two years rather than wasting the money).

I’ve already passed the three year mark anyway, just need to get the tax certificate I guess. So if I decide to do it, I should be able to do it next month (or next week).

Don’t forget the (local) police check!

1 Like

I have an honest look about me so probably won’t need it, but yeah, I could get one of those too, just in case.

(Is that something you have to do as a separate step, even when you’ve been in Taiwan constantly for the last several years, or does immigration just get it themselves? If the former, is it a big hassle or just something that takes a couple of days?)

From my understanding, being in Taiwan for at least three years will only void the requirement to provide a police check from one’s country of citizenship. The one from Taiwan is still required.

However, you can apparently get the Taiwanese one from every police station after ordering it online.

1 Like

I just called the Taipei immigration office to check about this. The first person didn’t know and gave me the number for her supervisor.

He said that the tax codes included are 50 (Taiwan salary/wages), 5F (overseas salary/wages), 9A (professional practice income), and 9B (gaofei). (He actually wasn’t sure about 9B and needed to go check with someone else, so hopefully that’s correct!)

5 Likes

This is helpful. Thanks

Yes but it’s really easy. You just take your passport or gold card there, pay 100 and come back in two days

1 Like

“There” being your closest police station (or any police station?), I assume?

Na the one in Ximen they told me to go to. The main one

1 Like

@Andrew Use the link here and you’ll know where to pick up.

1 Like

Thanks for that! Is it necessary to apply for two copies as you did, or was the second copy for something else?

No. I just wanted a copy as they will take it. Or you can just scan/print it yourself.

1 Like

And I’m guessing that the English version was just for your own reference? Presumably immigration accepts both English and Chinese and doesn’t require an English version?

There’s no way to ask for Chinese copy as a foreigner.
The only identification you can upload is either passport, or Taiwan ID.
It didn’t take my ARC number.

NIA will accept English, non-translated version. The English version actually has Chinese translation in it.

1 Like

I recall when I did it, only the Ximen one was available. Though now I see when you apply online there is options available.

https://eli.npa.gov.tw/E7WebO/E701/E701A01A_01_1.jsp

@pin2xbo You did the heath check too, right? Is it the same as for a normal ARC?

Yes. Same as normal ARC.

Health check and home country police report is needed if you are outside Taiwan more than 90 days within the last 5 years.

For goldcard it is within last 3 years. So, if you are first time ARC holder, and your first ARC is a gold card, and you came to Taiwan more than 90 days after the goldcard issue date, then you are also subject to health check and home country police report. Even if after entering you haven’t been out of Taiwan more than 90 days. I think this is stupid.

The hassle is the home country police report needs to be authenticated by TECO office, and then translated and notarized here in Taiwan.

I’m not sure about this part - isn’t it that the 3 years needed to qualify for an APRC as a special professional begins when the person enters Taiwan, not when the gold card was issued? So they would still need to have stayed for three years after that point to qualify, no?

Are you sure about this? The wording on their site says:

" A foreigner who has legally and continuously resided in the R.O.C. (Taiwan), and who has not left the country for more than three months at a time, may be exempted from submitting a satisfactory health examination certificate and a police criminal record certificate issued by their country of origin."

No. From issue date and as long as you stayed one and a half year within the validity.