APRC Application Checklist (part 2)

The checklist in the top post is not showing anymore?
Do you guys have it updated?
My time to apply for APRC is coming and it’d be very helpful!

Their instruction page is not enough?

Instructions for Foreigners to Apply for Permanent Residency
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/152932/

3 Likes

I read through this and noted something: When I applied in 2013, as a single person who had worked in Taiwan for 5 years, I was also required to provide tax records for the previous year (or perhaps all 5 years, I can’t remember now).

In these instructions I only see that as a requirement for “Anyone applying for permanent residence as the spouse of an R.O.C. (Taiwan) national.”

Has the tax record requirement been dropped, our did I just miss seeing it?

The format of the instruction in English is not very readable.

That is

1. Required Documents
    (6) Proof of financial assets or special skills and talents. Not required for applicants pursuant to Paragraphs 3, 4 and 5 under Item 4.
  1. Anyone applying for permanent residence with circumstances other than the one stated in the preceding subparagraph shall meet one of the following conditions:
    (1) Having an average monthly income in Taiwan in the previous year that is more than twice of the Monthly Minimum Wage promulgated by the Council of Labor Affairs;
    (2) Having chattel or real estate in Taiwan with a total value worth more than NT$5,000,000;
    (3) Having a certificate issued by the ROC government that certify people with specialized professionalism, techniques or have passed a technical test.
    (4) Other condition(s) recognized by the National Immigration Agency.
1 Like

Wow, if that’s referring to tax records somehow, you’re right, the English is clear as mud.

1 Like

I think it is not necessarily to be a tax record, but usually it may be the easiest way to prove.

See? My friend was told that having a house was not enough, as it did not prove they had the cash income that was enough to support the family.

Well, I tend to trust more this derelict website than the messy government information… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One more thing we agree with:

1. Translations in government websites are not up to date. I remember that the NIA one showed the old address in the English website…for several years. It’s regulations were also several years behind.

2. The translation work is not accurate nor complete.

3. Government websites are designed to be as user unfriendly as possible.

5 Likes

Does anyone know if the free stay you get after quitting / finishing a job counts toward the five years? Ex. Work 1 year, then 3 week gap on the free stay period, then work 2 years – does that count as 3 years total or do you lose that first year?

It looks like a post on this thread from back in 2015 confirms the free stay counts toward the 5 years since you’re on the same resident visa…

The ‘free stay’ only counts if immigration switches your visa to the 6 month looking for work arc. You lose the initial time if for any reason the arc is cancelled. Visitor visa time doesn’t count

if the free stay means a short over stay, they might allow you to keep the same ARC if the overstay duration is short, like several days, with a fine and subtracting 1 year from your 5 year count.

Can anyone verify what the 5,000,000 NT$ in “chattel” is in Chinese? And what exactly constitutes chattel?

I’m wondering if cash or stocks would count? And if they would have to be in a Taiwan account (and for how long)?

I’m no lawyer, but chattel is moveable property not attached to land. I think stocks are considered chattel but cash isn’t, although I believe they grant APRC based on cash holdings as well. I’m pretty sure it needs to be in Taiwan regardless of what kind of property it is. Having that bond is what encourages you to be a responsible citizen.

1 Like

chattel 動產
Article 67 of Civil Code

Article 67
Personal property is any thing except real property mentioned in the preceding article.

real estate 不動產

Article 66
Real property is land and things which are constantly affixed thereto.
The products of the real property, if they are not separated therefrom, constitute a part of the real property.

If you are asking on the folowing financial condition,

1. 國內之動產及不動產估價總值逾新臺幣五百萬元者

It says they should be in Taiwan.

1 Like

Thanks. The Chinese is much clearer.

a responsible “permanent resident”

2 Likes

I have a question about income from abroad. What if most or all of your income comes from working for companies in your home country while living in Taiwan? Would they accept foreign tax returns as proof of gross income?

Quick question about the criminal history report. It says I need a national level clean criminal history report for the past 5 years. I’ve not left Taiwan for over 5 years. Do I still have to go through the FBI (for America) to get it, or can I get a police clearance from Taiwan?
I assume I still have to get it from the FBI, so what’s the current best way of doing that? I see in the original thread, I have to have my fingerprints done at the NIA, mail that to the FBI, they send it to someone in the US, I send the documents TECRO needs to that person in the US, and that person sends it all to TECRO, and they mail it to me in Taiwan.
Is that the only way of handling it? Can I not do it without getting a friend or family member involved?