Arachnida of Taiwan

Oh, I got one of those next to where I park my car, they weave complicated webs. There were two of them, then one day I noticed only one remained, but it increased about twice in size. A little later it went back down to it’s original size but created some sort of sack in the middle of the web which it’s fiercely guarding now. I expect there will be lots more of them to come.

Does anyone happen to have experience breeding, or observing reproductive behaviour, in jumping spiders? We have a new project and this is one of my main target groups.

Terrible photos, sorry, but this is the firat orange/red ant mimic jumping spider i have found. Only seen bluish black before. Cellphone pic after all day in 36 degree sun…so not so great quality. But it was super cool. Maybe 5mm.

1 Like

My friend had this crawl out of his trumpet case :scream: What is that version ?

Should be a Lycosidae / Wolf Spider. They hunt other bugs and don’t build webs.
Scary due to their size, but harmless (unless you bother them).
They’re guardians of the night, protecting us from other creepy crawlies.

Fun fact: the first time I saw one it was in Australia (because when it comes to bigass spiders of course it has to be Australia). It was in the middle of the night and I heard some “tik tik” sound on the wall of my room but I was sure it wasn’t raining. I turned on the light and I was welcomed by the sight of a wolf spider the size of my hand crawling around on my wall, and it was so big I could hear its steps.

1 Like

Small motherfucker that I could take a picture as a consolation prize after the frog I was after jumped away from me:

DSC_2470%20-%20Copy

raising the colour stakes with an Aussie favourite: Mopsus mormon

also, many species of peacock spiders.

What does Taiwan have in reply?

1 Like

Probably Dolomedes horishanus, found in Taiwan and Japan.

one of the fishing spiders, hunts on and under water.

1 Like

Did you take those pictures? that second spider is just incredible. I’ve seen similar spiders to the first one in TW.

No, shamelessly borrowed those pictures from real experts. I’m an ‘expert’ on scorpions of Australia, and some spiders, mostly trapdoors and other Mygalomorphae (i used to study their venom proteins and how they affect nerves). … but jumping spiders are so cute they are my hobby.

That does sound like a good reason to move.

actually, they’re about the least dangerous scorpions anywhere in the world. None of them will kill you with their venom. Even the insects they eat are mostly killed with their claws, rather than venom. Australia dropped the ball on that one, i think.

1 Like

IF they were your real hobby you wouldn’t need to steal others’ pictures :smiley:

Oh, BTW, there’s an easy challenge for you in the plants of the day thread:

I’m surprised nobody has give it a try @tempogain did and failed.

Here is the same aqua hunting spider. It lives in my livingroom vivarium and just shed its skin. Greenish.

Taiwan has those colors, and theyre this [______________________________________] big!

Never actually seen a cool green jumping spider here, but your blue and red one we do have in taiwan in those colora. Though the head was black, the abdomen was if similar colors to yours in different patterns.

Ok maybe they were this [_] big. About 2mm that ive seen.

1 Like

I spent a while in Arizona and Scorpions are fascinating creatures. Had to be careful to check my shoes every morning . Going out at night in the desert , with UV lights was incredible. There were thousands everywhere . Not sure which variety they were although Bark was mentioned ?

1 Like

Wow man, that would be a site to behold. Thousands of glowing scorpions at night! Probably not easy but did you get a pic of the general surrounding?

Im a tech dinosaur, so excuse me. But what did you use for a portable black light? Ive always wanted a good bright, light weight, one for night time field observation.

Your bark scorpion is a way bit tougher than our lone taiwanese bark scorpion. But ours can reproduce with itself, so take that bark scorps haha.

I really do not know what the lighting set-up was . I do know that without that light , you would have struggled to see them . Actually it was a little daunting …suddenly seeing just how many there were …scared me to death !
Never thought of scorpions as being so concentrated in one area . It was 20 years ago …no pics…except of cars , sorry. Been here a long time but never seen a scorpion :neutral_face:

Ya i hear you. I love them and breed them but if i saw a hundred outside with a blacklight where i was sleeping id be uncomfortable as well!

The taiwan species lives in cracks in areas covered by sun, wont flood and has food (probably mostly ant and termite). So usually people see them under bark on dead trees. Im in forestry so see them sometimes. but still not super easy to find, although they are actually common. Size and habitat make it so you probably wont ever come across one.

1 Like

You’re talking about whip scorpions, or real scorpions?