Are countries finally going to start pushing back against China?

A related story also posted here:

Along with the discussion of $$$ are some details about PRC political warfare is unfolding in Pacific Island nations, including in this case in the FSM.

Guy

2 Likes

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/10/iran-saudi-arabia-resume-relations-china-mediation

China making nice nice.

More reporting on developments in the Pacific, this time from Nicola Smith at the Telegraph:

Guy

1 Like

As if Taiwan doesn’t bribe the same countries

Do you think the people and government of Belize have a deep love and connection to the ROC

Although it is one of the best flags

You left out the allegations of stalking officials and having meetings with selected civilians who are appointed “representatives” of the FSM unbeknowst to the elected government of the FSM.

Based on your response I doubt you even read the Nicola Smith article. Prove me wrong. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

I didn’t read the article

Just saying in general, as if Taiwan government doesn’t also bribe officials in these countries

Vindicated! :partying_face:

But yes I agree that $$$ has long been a tool in the ROC foreign affairs toolbox.

The fact that the outgoing President of the FSM named a precise dollar figure for swtiching recognition to Taiwan will almost certainly make it harder, if not impossible, for our government to move forward (the political cost will be high—being attacked for chequebook diplomacy—even though there are other good strategic reasons to have diplomatic relations with our Pacific neighbours).

Guy

1 Like

Yeah the nitty gritty of checkbook diplomacy must be pretty murky and necessarily kept out of public eye

Probably not just development loans and aid, but also Rolex’s and Rolls Royces for officials

I’m speculating, but can’t imagine the taiwan side doesn’t also do a lot of under the table stuff as well

2 Likes
2 Likes

This video suggests the opposite of the thread title. It makes me wonder if the U.S.'s strategy is to bait China into spreading itself thin economically by funding projects in countries which the U.S. had done likewise in the past.

It worked before. :idunno:

1 Like

Please excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about the USSR? If that’s true, I thought the CCP was claiming to be smarter than that.

And I’m have a feeling they’ll keep being smarter and not piss anyone really important off. If they wanna go solve the Iran Saudi Yemen thang, go right ahead. I hope they bring dollars. Lol

1 Like

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/03/15/american_power_and_the_defense_of_taiwan_887323.html

1 Like

Their editors ain’t so great. Taiwan is a country and not 1 island. People gotta stop following the narrative we are being told to follow by truly horrible people (ccp). poop.

1 Like

South Korean - Japanese ties are evidently warming. Look at these guys hanging out in Tokyo. Well played, Beijing!

President Yoon Suk Yeol and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida have bonded over a couple of drinks at a popular eatery in Tokyo, a person familiar with the exchange said.

The two leaders, who held summit talks earlier in the day Thursday [March 16], visited Rengatei, a Western-style establishment known as the birthplace of Japanese pork cutlets and “omurice,” or omelets on fried rice, where they shared glasses of beer to begin with.

Yoon then suggested they add soju, traditional Korean distilled liquor, to the mix as a symbol of harmony, the person said, and Kishida likened the taste to the taste of the friendship between South Korea and Japan.

The two leaders later tasted a Japanese sweet potato liquor.

Source: Yoon, Kishida bond over drinks at popular eatery | Yonhap News Agency

Guy

1 Like

The US motor industry is not pushing back against China
Buick and Lincoln 2021 sold more cars in China than the US.

1 Like

It is not 2021 anymore.

Mid-range autos from abroad are on their way out, as shown in this report:

Foreign luxury cars however will almost certainly continue to cash in.

Guy

1 Like

Ok you’re right it’s not 2021 any longer, pic came from USA motor magazine dated for March 2023. Some of us still read paper publications.
Clearly Renault are pulling out for poor sales.
Find me how Buick and Lincoln sales are for 2022-2023 if you can.

Contradictory to your first statement.

The Chinese obviously have no idea when it comes to quality engineering, USA built motors are shite. Nothing can compete with the perfect skilled engineering from the Japanese. I am a fully qualified motor engineer.
Then again Japan is not particularly friendly with China but I guess not stopped its exports.
However unlike the USA they wouldn’t big mouth it if they did.

1 Like