Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

It’s an interesting sea change. When I were a lad it was a running joke that skin colour was only mentioned when the bad 'un was black.

This is why, unless it helps with policing, mentioning skin colour and ethnicity etc should be avoided. But it always is now. Same with politics and sport. Once it gets in it’s there forever and it creates a lot of unintended consequences.

Andrew Yang had a pretty fascinating interview with journalist/author Jay Kang. It gave me some insights into Andrew Yang as well as reflected my view on the Asian American identity.

As someone who reported a lot on the often neglected Asian American communities, such as Tibetan Americans in Oakland, Kang is very aware of the disconnect between the more privileged, highly educated Asian Americans, and the actual majority of Asian Americans who face much tougher struggles in their daily lives. Many people from the former group embrace the model immigrant mantle, have more of a voice in the media, and often assumes the spokesperson role and attempts to speak for all Asian Americans while ignoring the experiences of the later group.

Kang points out that in his 20s, Andrew worked as an activist for Asian American charity groups. It’s something that Andrew never brought up on the campaign trails. I often feel Andrew was way too comfortable with the model immigrant label, and often leverages stereotypes like “good with math” to ingratiate himself with non-Asian American voters.

Anyway, I think there’s some path in the middle for the both ends of the Asian American community to find solidarity in one another and work with other activists to bring some actual change. It ain’t going to be easy though.

After watching that interview, youtube also recommended this film review to me.

1 Like

Another white supremacist attack on Asian Americans. It’s so sad that nobody stands up for the victims…

1 Like

And a murder of a University of Chicago student. The race of the perp is never mentioned, which is all you need to know.

There is a rather large elephant in the room that the media aren’t mentioning, isn’t there?

We’ve got to take to take our country back from these anarchists. It’s hard to watch this horrible treatment of people not bothering anyone at all. Have they identified the attackers this video?

4 Likes

Not that I know of. And this is Philly, so I doubt there will be any consequences.

It makes me angry and sad. As long as there are no consequences, it will continue and get worse. It will be interesting to see what Eric Adams, the next NYC mayor, will do to reduce crime. The BLM people are already nervous about him which makes me think he may be very good for NYC.
BLM Activist Threatens to Riot If New York Mayor-Elect Eric Adams Reinstates Plainclothes Street Units. NYPD Wants to Label Him a Domestic Terrorist In Response.

4 Likes

Well, he can’t do any worse than the previous mayor, literally.

1 Like

Well sometimes they might not know who it was, I did a search on the murder victim and this came up.

What a waste of life, killed him and sold the electronics for 100$

2 Likes

Yes, terrible story. Student spend a lot of money to go to school and I guess money in the city then dies for 100$. Those cities from the stories seem very scary. Chicago, Washington DC, Philly I see lots of scary news and stories.

2 Likes

That a disproportionate amount of African Americans and Latinos are more severely impacted by COVID and lack financial and mental support?

And lacking financial support is a reasonable excuse for beating the shit out of an Asian on a train is it?

1 Like

Violence isn’t justified, however, situation isn’t going to improve unless systematic discrimination in educational resources, job and housing opportunities are also resolved.

And until progressives stop teaching people to hate members of other races.

2 Likes

So this is your nation? If yes, any better cities to recommend, seems lots of news about bad cities like New York, Washington DC, Chicago, LA,ect and would also like hear where is good (if any?)

I don’t remember that part of the lecture in my progressives brainwashing camp. I guess I was playing games on my smartphone without paying attention in class again.

I assume you pursued a STEM major. If you’d gone to a liberal arts college, things might have been much different. :open_mouth:

It’s the chapter on soft bigotry of low expectations where instead of condemning the riots last year, people say “but you understand why they are doing it” or more overt racist comments like “we can’t have voter ID because black people can’t get ID” Or in your case transferring blame from where it is deserved to societies fault for discrimination.

Liberal racism comes in a different form to the overt racism we are more familiar with, but it is certainly there too. Harder for some to recognize.

1 Like

Unless it’s against white people…then it’s just good old-fashioned racism.

3 Likes