Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

Most every case I’ve seen has been a black person doing the attacking. What’s interesting is the articles never mention the attacker’s race anywhere (but have a photo) – if it were white people doing the attacking you can bet it’d be mentioned, along with the story of… “white supremacists”

1 Like

He’s talking about the present day:

What an insufferable twat…

9 Likes

For the record, I’ve been subjected to physical threats and called countless names for being Asian in America by middle-aged, obese low-income white folks (I live in the South). It’s really funny reading this thread about the denial by so many. Perhaps it’s less about racism and more about the systematic manipulation of people with societal grievances by those in power.

4 Likes

I think that’s a part of the character.

Exactly, the promotion of the model minority is a way to pit one disenfranchised group against the other.

1 Like

Don’t stick your chin out dude. All it takes is one clean shot.

According to this UNIVERSITY OF Maryland professor, 75% of hate crimes vs Asians are committed by whites.

This is sad to hear. Seems not the best time to be in the USA, is it worse in your area or just everywhere now?

I think that’s a little disingenuous: “The study, which examined hate crime data from 1992 to 2014, found that compared to anti-Black and anti-Latino hate crimes, a higher proportion of perpetrators of anti-Asian hate crimes were people of color.” You seemed to have left out this sentence right before the one picked.

Lol OK dude.

Most people who commit hate crimes against Asians are whites, but hey, at least blacks and Latinos are more likely to be killed by whites! Feel better, Asians?

I mean but what about the other 25%?

It doesn’t seem to say much if 75% of the hate crimes were from whites when whites are also 75% of the population roughly.

The problem is really when someone claims those crimes are committed only/mostly by one group of people, and starts snarling at every white/black person they meet on the street.

They’re 65% of the population, but I was just providing hate crime data that wasn’t available from before.

You somewhat misrepresented it though by saying “According to this UNIVERSITY OF Maryland professor, 75% of hate crimes vs Asians are committed by whites.” First of all, it considered cases from 1992 to 2014, some ways in the past. They note there were only 329 hate crimes against Asians in their data over that period, a small sample size, and the data had “substantial missing values”. Whatever it does tell us, I’m not sure we can extrapolate to what’s been happening recently.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7790522/

2 Likes

I just checked that is’ 73% from the most recent census.

And as @tempogain mentioned, it’s a small sample size to a known flawed way of reporting hate crimes. I mean, the videos of blacks attacking Asians recently, would they be classified as a hate crime? I think it would probably be classified as just violent crime, which I mentioned blacks commit against Asians at a higher rate than any other race.

1 Like

60%

72% white alone.

That’s if you don’t have a Hispanic category.

Since the hate crime data counts Hispanics, you have to have it to have apples and apples.

You can easily test to see if 329 observations are enough. If it’s not enough, you won’t get a small enough p-value. I just tested it on Python using an exact binomial test.

245 of the 329 hate crimes on Asian were committed by whites.

Since Asians are 5.9% of the population, and Asians can’t commit hate crimes against Asians, whites are 64.1% of the non-Asian population.

from scipy import stats
stats.binom_test(245,n=329,p=0.641,alternative=‘greater’)
Out[25]: 3.772370311671305e-05

The p-value is MUCH, MUCH smaller than 0.05.

Which means whites clearly commit hate crimes against Asian larger than their proportion in the population.