Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

Still, garbage in, garbage out. Hate crimes are not well documented or consistent, especially against Asians. I would be careful taking too much from the data on hate crimes.

The recent violence seems to be a different deal, most of them would probably not be documented as hate crimes.

What makes you say that?

Federal laws to start documenting hate crimes started in the 90s, which is where you starting point is from your post. It’s up to local LE on if they even want to participate in documenting hate crimes, a significant amount of local LE don’t. Even those that do participate in documenting them, it seems the majority report 0 while some quite a few. So we don’t even know if the ones that do make an effort to do so. It’s rather strange some places has 0 and some places have many, very inconsistent. Some local LE has reported 0 hate crimes since the 90s…

Doesn’t seem like a good data set to work with.

1 Like

For our purposes though, if they are underreporting, are they underreporting hate crimes equally for all races?

If some are reporting zero, then it means they’re underreporting for all races.

Can’t say. How they collected data is very inconsistent is my point. And even more so when you consider self reporting of crimes. I’m guessing Asians living in poor minority neighborhoods don’t report as much. And as I’ve mentioned before, quite of bit of my encounters of racism are actually from other Asians. I’m not sure how often those kinds of hate crimes even get reported.

My guess is the percentage of hate crimes against Asians is probably rather proportional to racial populations. And it’s probably going to depend on where you are. I’ve encountered virtually no racism in middle income to upper income places from whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians. I’ve pretty much only encountered them in poorer areas where uneducated whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians live.

1 Like

That’s all relative. It’s only about 15 cases a year over the period. They note themselves they had trouble just gathering enough data to get any kind of meaningful result, and they had to make allowances for it. But, I’m not saying it’s meaningless. I’m saying it’s in line for expectations from the population as a whole (whatever that proportion was from 1992-2014, don’t forget, and however “white” was defined in every data item).

Also you keep using present tense but it’s significantly in the past when we’re talking about a new situation now. We’ll need data about what’s happening now. Despite the anecdotal evidence (something that study seems specifically intended to argue against, a potential bias problem), I won’t be surprised if things are broadly in line with population numbers in the end. But I have seen a lot of anecdotal evidence and continue to, so not sure. Another question is where crime ends and hate crime begins and how much it matters.

Old women, disabled man attacked in separate incidents on consecutive days outside of a church in Oakland, CA.

What f’ing sad state of affairs.

Anti-Asian racism has been prevalent in US and other western countries since colonial era w/Yellow Peril fear mongering perpetuated by Sinophobia which continues to this day, hence the incessant anti-China rhetoric by western msm.

Expect these attacks to increase if delta variant or other virus mutations continue to deprive Americans of their ‘personal freedoms.’

Attacked or robbed? Looks like thieves waited for the easiest victim. Your description makes it sound like they were attacked because they were Asian.

What is the anti Asian angle here?

Elderly Asians are seen as ideal victims by muggers because they’re relatively wealthy, less likely to fight back, and have a preference for cash.

Yes, not necessarily. But there’s a good chance they’re being chosen because they’re Asian. And in many urban areas in the U.S., there’s been long-standing animosity between blacks and Asians.

I’m sure those guys would steal from their own family. Are they black? I couldn’t see their faces.

They might have been targeted because they carry cash etc but surely this thread is talking about attacks for no other reason than race, not robberies between races.

Otherwise we must say that if you steal from an old person, you’re ageist, from a woman and you’re sexist, etc etc.

Yes.

I get what you’re saying. The attacks could be racially-motivated (because of the factors I mentioned above) rather than racist. Or the fact that the victims in both cases were Asian could be a coincidence, but I think the chances of that are relatively small.

1 Like

The attacks were in ChinaTown. So, likely targeted to people in the area for the reasons Milker said. The reporter also said they were driving around many places. Still a f’ing shit move.

A law that was passed in the 1800s, which was completely eliminated fifty-six years ago?

That’s funny, since blacks are more likely to be killed by other blacks. Especially considering that 56% of murders are committed by blacks. It’s hard to beat an outright majority.

According to this FBI data, of the 2,491 murders of black people reported in the U.S. in 2013, 2,245 perpetrators (90%) were black and 189 perpetrators (7.6%) were white.

But do tell us again how blacks “are more likely to be killed by whites!”

A large part of the problem is “woke” DA’s refusing to press hate-crimes charges against blacks, thereby distorting the percentages of hate crimes. Mean words by a white guy = “hate crime”, being beaten to death by blacks = “nothing to see here, these aren’t the crimes you are looking for, move along, move along.”

Ask the Koreans and Chinese about the Japanese some time, maybe?

Look at those white supremacists wearing blackface! That’s cultural appropriation!

3 Likes

It’s not. It’s about violent attacks against Asians. These people are deliberately targeting Asian people leaving church. Indeed, they probably would steal from and injure their own grandmother, but who cares why they did it anyway? They did it. It just shows how stupid the idea of “hate crimes” is basically.

1 Like

It’s “Crime” vs “really bad crime.”

Makes no sense.

1 Like

Crime+

Crime*