Asian fixation or men just being men?

I’m just glad the underemployed, plain-looking Canadians started coming here instead of pouring into America grabbing up our gullible, misguided womenfolk :slight_smile:

There are WOMEN in Amerika? :astonished:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”] However, I’ve also met my fair share of men here who have a quantity, not quality approach to the local women (and lie to the girls about it- oh sweety, of course you’re the only girl I’m dating!), frequent brothels (ahem- philosophically I have nothing against this. … Sometimes, these douchebags seem louder and more visible than their solid, decent counter-parts.

… We are, after all, in Asia, and this board is, after all, frequented by white men…living in Asia…[/quote]

While such behaviour may be hard to behold, it also needs to be recognized that there are white blokes behaving very similarly with white girls back where you grew up. And with girls of whatever colour they can feast their lecherous appetites on. And black guys and Asian guys and guys of all hues and ethnicities doing the same. And Taiwanese guys doing it here in Taiwan, and in China and Southeast Asia and wherever else they have the opportunity to do so. And men everywhere doing it with women everywhere.

It’s in men’s nature to play the field, to fornicate as much as they can with as many women as they can find to accommodate their lascivious ravening. Some men have the character and moral code to desist from such behaviour when the opportunity to do so is there, and some – probably the majority, at least when they’re young and hyper-horny, and not restrained by the diktat of the pulpit – do not.

It’s not a white man thing, it’s a man thing.[/quote]

Nevertheless, it is, in my experience, the case that Taiwan attracts such men in the same way that Thailand attracts paedophiles. I read enough “I’m here, now where’s the pussy?” first posts on the D&R board before I stopped bothering to go there, to get that impression. Taiwanese women have a reputation for being all those things that your post exemplifies, a reputation your post perpetuates, and any douchebag reading it would be packing his bags.[/quote]

But which of the things that I listed are, in your opinion, bad? Are sparkling eyes bad, and more likely to lure over creepy predators than decent young men who wish to hitch up with that girl of their dreams? How about wispy waists? Glowing radiance? Entrancing allure? Pert breasts? Sweet affectionateness? Warm thoughtfulness? Breathtaking gorgeousness? A slender body? A gentle nature? Perfect proportions? Anything else?

Which of those qualities would you not like to possess yourself, and not wish to hear anyone using as descriptions of you? I’d be pretty glad to hear ladies saying any of those things about me. Except the pert breasts one. Though the manly equivalent would go down pretty well.

In fact, it’s all more Mills and Boonish than the kind of “come and get your fill of huge-titted, wet-pussied, cock-sucking, nympho harlots” kind of message (so common all over the internet and elsewhere these days) that would be more likely to attract the coarser members of our gender. Don’t you think so?

And who, anyway, would be so silly as to take my post literally? Isn’t it pretty evident that I’m just expressing my positive feelings about the kind of woman I’ve had the great pleasure to share many happy times with while I’ve been living in Taiwan, and that the fellow I was addressing should also be able to make friends with, and doing it in deliberately exaggerated language for the sake of effect.

Isn’t my lyrical praise somewhat better than the endless posts we get on here moaning and complaining about the squeaky-voiced, infantilely immature, grotesquely made up, Hello Kittyish, clingy, superficial, unadventurous, LV bag worshipping, skinny but flabby psycho xiaojies that are lying in wait to trap and sow horror in the lives of innocent foreign men who venture onto these shores?[/quote]

I feel hypocritical saying this as my oldest son and I were talking just the other day about how beautiful Taiwanese women are, but well, stereotyping is stereotyping even if you’re being exceptionally nice and waxing lyrical about it. Personally, I’d love to be described in such a way, unlikely though that is to happen, but if British women were described like that I might feel someone had set a standard I couldn’t live up to. And I imagine that Taiwanese women wouldn’t appreciate being portrayed as sexually passionate due to the expectations that that would cause foreign men to have of them.

Old posters know you and where you’re coming from, but this new poster clearly didn’t.

Bullshit. Like likens to like. If you’re getting lumped in with these mythical beasts then its YOUR problem. I don’t, and nor do any of the people in my social circle. And it is a LARGE circle. Don’t, for even a split-second, imagine that ANYTHING you do or say has ANY impact on how I live my life or how I am perceived by the people that matter in my world.
Of course, there are fanatic Muslims or neo-Nazis or white supremacists or, heaven forbid, AZN BOYZ!!! who would like to do me harm on account of my skin, but those fuckwads are so far off my radar that they have NO bearing whatever on me.

Bullshit. Like likens to like. If you’re getting lumped in with these mythical beasts then its YOUR problem. I don’t, and nor do any of the people in my social circle. And it is a LARGE circle. Don’t, for even a split-second, imagine that ANYTHING you do or say has ANY impact on how I live my life or how I am perceived by the people that matter in my world.
Of course, there are fanatic Muslims or neo-Nazis or white supremacists or, heaven forbid, AZN BOYZ!!! who would like to do me harm on account of my skin, but those fuckwads are so far off my radar that they have NO bearing whatever on me.[/quote]

I would never suggest how you are perceived by the people who matter in your world, or your large circle for that matter. I do suggest, however, that most Taiwanese have little experience with westerners and use stereotypes to help understand the unknown. This is no different for other races in other countries that have limited contact with other groups. If you think you’re somehow immune from being viewed through stereotypical lenses by the general public because you have a large social group or choose not to let a mythical beast be part of your problem, then i would be surprised to hear you’ve lived in Taiwan a long time.

Is this thread suggesting that western men can only hook up with western women? Or that western men shouldn’t hook up at all because of one person’s morals?

There are some scum out there but they would be scum regardless of where they live.

As for me I like attractive, athletic women regardless of where they are from but I find myself surrounded by Taiwanese women because of where I live. I think it’s natural that I would date a Taiwanese woman.

OK. So you live in some out-of-the-way rural community, I’m guessing. I’ve lived in Taipei and New Taipei for 25 years, and in MY experience, my words ring absolutely true. “Little experience of westerners?” Guffaw! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Is that something along the lines of “they’re coolie hat-wearing buffalo herders! Cut them a break”?

OK. So you live in some out-of-the-way rural community, I’m guessing. I’ve lived in Taipei and New Taipei for 25 years, and in MY experience, my words ring absolutely true. “Little experience of westerners?” Guffaw! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Is that something along the lines of “they’re coolie hat-wearing buffalo herders! Cut them a break”?[/quote]

Touche sandman, touche. I’m sure Taipei is a bit better on western exposure. But what percentage of those in Taipei and New Taipei have actually spent very much quality time getting to know a westerner in an informal setting? I’m guessing it would be pretty low. Like it or not the general public is still going to immediately recognize you as a foreigner, and their brains will use racial profiling to assess you whether they even realize it. That part of your non-verbal communication is not in your control, but other forms of communication are. If you refuse to let stereotypes affect the way you portray yourself to others then that’s great :thumbsup: Sometimes when i do something like hold a door open for several people coming in behind me others look as if to size up what i’m doing. I’m guessing it might have an impact on their list of behaviors for foreigners. It’s already a cultural stereotype that westerners are more polite about things like that. Is it true? Maybe. But it’s still just a stereotype. I’ve seen Taiwanese do the same thing on occasion. Are stereotypes useful then? Maybe and maybe not. But i realize i represent “white people” here whether i like it, or not.

[quote=“Abacus”]Is this thread suggesting that western men can only hook up with western women? Or that western men shouldn’t hook up at all because of one person’s morals?

There are some scum out there but they would be scum regardless of where they live.

As for me I like attractive, athletic women regardless of where they are from but I find myself surrounded by Taiwanese women because of where I live. I think it’s natural that I would date a Taiwanese woman.[/quote]

Well, the OP was kind of miffed at Omni’s comment because it implies that local women are all one-dimensional men-pleasers and that non-local women are mean-hearted selfish bitches, and then instead of discussing why the comment may have been taken that way it blew up into a huge shitstorm of men alternately saying things like ‘how DARE you question my lifestyle choices?’ ‘I can’t help it, it’s all my penis!’ and ‘Well done, you’ve pissed us all off’. Apparently, it was a personal attack on all men in Taiwan with local partners, and not an attack on an opinion.
This is why we have a women’s forum.

(Actually, I’m not being fair as there were plenty of intelligent replies on here as well. Though it is fairly interesting to note that so far, the only two confirmed posters with boobies think OP had a point.)

To be honest, I rather liked Omni’s comment. I found it slightly insulting in that it implied that a) women are here to please a man’s senses and b) non-local women didn’t have a feminine bone in them (as the list is pretty much an accurate list of all the classical traits of femininity) but it was also freaking hilarious. Good luck finding someone who fits that description :roflmao: Gentle-natured? Sweetly affectionate? Eagerly Pleasing? Lovingly Attentive? Unless you’re restricting this description to bedroom behaviour, I don’t imagine that would be the average local’s description of the average local woman’s personality, so where are you finding these girls? (I can think of a grand total of ONE friend who might fit that description.)

I suspect that young Omnilocqacious was being IRONIC. Too bad that he didn’t list that virtue when describing Taiwanese ladies. :neutral:

That’s the awesome thing about a quote being taken out of context, I suppose.

I’ve skimmed this thread and I just wanted to chip in my two cents. I have read a book or two on this topic. People look at this issue with a lot of wrong lenses I feel like. What we are discussing is a relationship between two people. Using generalizations about entire nations/ethnicities doesn’t make sense when talking about something as subjective as a two way relationship. Everyone’s relationship is different. The problem with “yellow fever” as a social phenomenon is the overt/subtle racism that is often perpetuated by both parties. (white men & asian women) People have preferences when looking for a mate, some stronger than others.
:hand: I believe you are entitled to whatever your preferences are (ethnicity, style, demeanor etc), provided they do not change the way you would otherwise treat a person. i.e. its okay to prefer asian women over other women, but if you treat them like objects, or treat them differently because they are asian, you are guilty of racism, however slight or glaring it may be. :hand:
I guess to test this you would have to have dated someone from group A and group B, with your preference being for one of them and trying to objectively gauge how you interacted with them and why (this sounds impossible unless you have a photographic memory or your partner doesnt mind being part of a social experiment…)

OK… :unamused: So, why did the OP ask the question? :unamused:

OK… :unamused: So, why did the OP ask the question? :unamused:[/quote]

He didn’t. Omni suggested the title.

OK… Geez.

The point I was trying to make is that it seems odd, to me, to make the sort of critical comments the OP (of this thread) made and then to post the comment “To each his own, I suppose.

I quoted the guy in my reply… TG’s interjection was irrelevant to my point… Whether the OP started the thread or the thread was split, the OP did raise the issue and make the criticisms. My question re why ask the question was meant to mean why raise the issue? if indeed the OP adheres to the “To each his own, I suppose.” notion?

I don’t think that Omni was being ironic. But I think it is ironic that this thread has turned into a discussion of race or ethnicity when there was nothing about either in his post.

Omni, as we know from his posting history is a gentleman with a keen appreciation for the fair sex, and an enjoyment and gift for written expression.

Had his life’s path happened to land him in Kenya, or Bombay, or Belarus, instead of Taiwan, I suspect he very likely would have written something similarly lyrical and appreciative of the women there!

I didn’t get that impression from Omni’s post, at all.

OK… Geez.

The point I was trying to make is that it seems odd, to me, to make the sort of critical comments the OP (of this thread) made and then to post the comment “To each his own, I suppose.

I quoted the guy in my reply… TG’s interjection was irrelevant to my point… Whether the OP started the thread or the thread was split, the OP did raise the issue and make the criticisms. My question re why ask the question was meant to mean why raise the issue? if indeed the OP adheres to the “To each his own, I suppose.” notion?[/quote]

Gotcha. :slight_smile:

I didn’t get that impression from Omni’s post, at all.[/quote]

Yes, he said nothing of the sort.

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]
Well, the OP was kind of miffed at Omni’s comment because it implies that local women are all one-dimensional men-pleasers and that non-local women are mean-hearted selfish bitches …

I found it slightly insulting in that it implied that a) women are here to please a man’s senses and b) non-local women didn’t have a feminine bone in them … [/quote]

Where is there a single word in my post that implies or comes close to implying, or presents even the slightest shadow of implication, that such wonderful ladies are to be found ONLY in Taiwan, and that ladies in every other country can only compare unfavourably with them? It’s simply not there, and it can’t be there, because it’s not what I think.

I might also say, in similar vein: “If you come to Taiwan, you’ll be able to enjoy hiking in gorgeous, magical, majestic uplands, and you’ll be able to swim in enchantingly lovely waterfall pools surrounded by nature at its most sublime and inspiring.” So does that imply that there are no equally delightful places in my original homeland (the British Isles) or anywhere else in the world? Of course it doesn’t! I know, and you know that I know, that there are equally lovely places in every part of the world, including the British Isles.

So where is the difference between praising the charms of some of the landscape and praising the charms of the some of the people who inhabit it? Why should the former clearly not imply an unfavourable opinion of landscapes elsewhere, but the latter be supposed to imply an unfavourable opinion of people elsewhere. There’s absolutely no rhyme or reason, and not the slightest shred of logic, to any such assertion!

[quote]
Good luck finding someone who fits that description :roflmao: Gentle-natured? Sweetly affectionate? Eagerly Pleasing? Lovingly Attentive? Unless you’re restricting this description to bedroom behaviour, I don’t imagine that would be the average local’s description of the average local woman’s personality, so where are you finding these girls? (I can think of a grand total of ONE friend who might fit that description.)[/quote]

Honestly and truly, I had close friendships of every kind and degree with many ladies like that during my 18 years here as a bachelor. I never, ever had an argument or any kind of unpleasant experience with any of those ladies. I should also mention that the girlfriend of several years who I left behind in England, and would almost certainly have married if I’d stayed there, also possessed exactly those same characteristics.

But it could just be that I have a weakness of character or understanding that causes me to see and dwell on the good in people rather than the bad.