Baseball - CPBL the only league to have opened in 2020

Uni has a spot for one more foreign player.
They haven’t used their last spot.

1 Like

If they really have the budget, they should get Robinson Cano instead. Not only do most Taiwanese fans know him well from the Wang Chien-ming era Yankees, Cano’s father also used to pitch for the Lions.

2 Likes

That would be cool. I would love to see Cano in Taiwan. Fans in Taiwan watched him come out the minors with Wang.

1 Like

KBO games are now being shown on ESPN. They initially offered Taiwan, but Taiwan refused because it didn’t want to show them for free.

Which is odd and myopic, since they’re showing them for free anyway. Why not let the entertainment and sports leader share your brand?

Go Taiwan! I can count on you to discard your first-mover advantage.

2 Likes

I remember going to a game once and a CPBL security guard refused to let a CPBL team scout use his radar gun. That’s Vintage CPBL right there, a gift in their lap but out of needless defiance against nothing turning it down.

1 Like

What’s in the best long term interest of baseball in Taiwan might not be the best short term interest to ball club owners.

1 Like

The German Bundesliga is going to restart on May 15. I must say, I haven’t really missed watching any sport. If anything, the whole pandemic thing has made me realize how unimportant spectator sports really are.

And of course, how hopelessly overpaid sport stars are. Doctors and nurses deserve some of that cash for sure.

1 Like

:confounded:

I’m not even sure it’s in Taiwan baseball’s best interest. It would be nice to cast a little light on ball here, but once the big leagues are back interest will return to zero. Why should the product be given away for free when there’s a market for it?

Miss the distraction?

:u6709:

:cool:

1 Like

On the salary thing, yes, doctors and nurses do far more important jobs.

However, there are more doctors and nurses than highly paid athletes. When you consider the number of physicians per 10,000 people (24~27 in the US) and star athletes per 10,000 fans, there’s just a lot more physicians out there.

People want to see star athletes, and very few become one, usually for a very short number of years. So, I think they are paid that much for a reason.

They’re already giving it away free. You can watch games on Eleven Sports.

The only scenario I can imagine is that Eleven Sports has already bought the rights to it, and isnt willing to relinquish.

2 Likes

To watch it in Taiwan, I assume, which would not be the same thing.

I can watch them liVe on Twitter from DC.

Yeah its been that way since I started kinda paying attention. I’d think even for them they would see the opportunity in this though.

I’d love if the kbo and cpbl would merge

I heard they locked US IPs from watching it on twitter. Now you can only watch the game through Line Now at 2.5 dollars per game.

I’m watching it just fine, without a VPN.

1 Like

Any guesses on how Wang Po-Jung hits when things get rolling again? He didn’t exactly kill it in Japan…

he is killing it in spring training.

1 Like