Beer Alert & Directory V - Roaring 20s edition

I mean, it’s centuries old, but maybe on Makgeolli or whatever was the preferred drink during the Joseon dynasty.

Interesting. 九尾狐. Needed to check what I knew to be Chinese roots in that.

1 Like

Frankly, it sounds like they’d already figured out distillation (although perhaps hadn’t figured out how to throw away the methanol).

1 Like

I just don’t think medieval Koreans were into (or were even aware of) beer. But they definitely had other (much stronger) alcohols they drank. Makgeolli Is a delicious rice wine btw, highly recommend it.

3 Likes

Very decent ale from the island of Jeju in Korea. Very full taste. No bitterness. Buy 2 get 1 free at 7-11. A bit over 200 nt.

2 Likes

Same brewery (Kabrew) also at 7-11 now with a “Royal Pride IPA”, which I prefer to the Jeju one. Good value deal in any case.

2 Likes

I had this one the other night. I had to dump it. Probably one of the worst beers I’ve ever had and I almost never dump a beer. Korean beer living up to the stereotype. I’ll stick with the Canadian Hop City from the local HiLife.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21537/118358/

1 Like

Would say that both R Pride and Hopbot are pretty mediocre IPAs. But in Taiwan, beggars cant be choosers.

1 Like

R Pride had a funky smell and metallic aftertaste. Hop City is an average IPA. Best I’ve had here is the double IPA from 掌門。

I posted about that a couple years ago in one of the old beer threads. I don’t remember much, except I also wasn’t impressed.

FIFY
Taiwan has world-class beer all over the place

True, there are some nice Taiwanese breweries. Cost is rather high though compared to CPI, so for the daily grind of the limited offers at convenience stores, needs must.

And there are ways to meet during the pandemic and enjoy a drink with friends.

4 Likes

Woo-hoo. Cold delivery!

5 Likes

Interesting. How does that work?

I was under the (unfortunate) impression that delivery / mail order of alcohol is verboten in Taiwan.

Order form here:

Looks like you need to do bank transfer.

2 Likes

文青不要喝 is a pretty damn good beer. Some of those others are iffy or nasty.

1 Like

Yes, those micro-brewers better be proactive on deliveries, otherwise their cash flows will dry up very fast.
A (significant) number of microbreweries in the U.S. went out of business during COVID-19, because a big part of their income were walk-ins buying their beer or just having a few rounds in the pub. Many microbreweries don’t have the sales channels to big grocery stores.

1 Like

9 Likes

Beer in Pingtung? You mean the brewery near Hengchun?