Best steak in Greater Taipei for less than 1000NTD

I love steak; I hate getting ripped off! Where is the best possible steak VALUE in a Taipei area restaurant?

Oooo, me too please

My wife says ā€œRed Onion Steakā€ on Nanjing East Rd. between Guangfu and San Min? Sheā€™s been to a lot more of the expensive ones than I have.

blog.yam.com/slenderjane/article/26152190

This may be a little over NT$1000. Check out the menu in the link. I guess they have some promotions (i.e. the third person eats for free).

Thereā€™s a shop at the Tonghua street nightmarket, a little more than halfway towards the Keelung Rd. part. The interior is painted a hideous pastel yellow and it has a yellow/purple theme.

They have bigger than your face steaks for 199 or 250 or something like that ļ¼ˆ14 oz. I think?), with spagetti and an egg. Not the best steak in Taipei, but the best steak to money ratio maybe. You can find these sorts of shops at most nightmarket or university areas. This one had steak that wasnā€™t rubberized, so I thought Iā€™d give it a mention.

Looks like they have 2 locations at least:
ē“«ē‰›ē‰›ęŽ’
Zi3niu2niu2pai2 (Purple cow steak)

台北åø‚大安區č‡Øę±Ÿč”—19之1號
No. 19-1, Lingjiang St., Da An Dist. Taipei, Taiwan
02-27071739
å£«ęž—å¤§ę±č·Æ52號(å£«ęž—åœ“ē’°)
No. 52, Dadong Rd., Shilin Dist, Taipei, Taiwan (in the ugly building with a bunch of food right next to the MRT station)
02-28891555

I second Lupillus recommendation at Tonghua market. Iā€™ve eaten better steaks there than at more expensive places.

I also like this one close to Xindian. It is very old school, but the food is plenty for 750nts you get the steak -very tasty, really impressive-, drinks, scargots with cheese, soup, bread, salad, etc. Not all you can eat but a bit classier. They also have a cheaper alternative now, weekday lunch speacials, which Iā€™m told are quite good.
Pictures here: wretch.cc/blog/apeline/32850511
and here: blog.xuite.net/phoebe1974/coffee/31728190

[quote]ē‰¹ē“„商åŗ—名ēر 舊識č„æ餐廳
電話 02 -29120022-
地址 台北ēø£ę–°åŗ—åø‚갑ꬊč·Æļ¼“ļ¼˜č™Ÿ
[/quote] Xindian, Minquan Street, number 38, second floor.

Do not confuse for the one across the street thatā€™s on a first floor. Thatā€™s hideous by comparison.

well this ā€œsteak housesā€ are nearly everywhere. A famous chain is ā€œFamily Steak Houseā€, one is next to Zhong Xiao Nanjing E. RD MRT station. You choose your meat (Chicken, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Fish), medium, raw, cooked whatever and pay from 200 to 400 depending on the meat. It includes noodles, veggies and an egg and an ALL YOU CAN EAT side dish buffet (salads, fried stuff, desserts, drinks). I like it an usually choose beef, medium medium (they have different mediums :sunglasses: )and pay around 300.

Youā€™re not serious, are you? ā€œFamily Steak Houseā€ is utterly vile and hideous. Fucking NOODLES and CORN? We wonā€™t even mention the ā€œsteakā€ on your plate. Tastes and looks like goat. Take a leaf from Dragonbonesā€™ book: Buy and make your own. :2cents:

1 Like

OK, you have this NT$1000 slab of costco ribeye in your kitchen.

How do you make it a good steak?

I wonā€™t claim this is the best place for steak, but itā€™s one of my favorites.
Yaki
B2 of the Eslite building at Taipei City Hall MRT.
Itā€™s something of a Japanese fusion joint. Portions are small, but good, and at the end of the meal, Iā€™m just properly filled.
Order the C meal: soup, garlic bread, salad, fish app, steak (8 oz, I think) with red wine or mushroom sauceā€¦ both of which I skip for plain salt and pepper, mashed pots (often a bit cool for my taste), and a really nice cup of coffee. Costs something like NT$450 (maybe its NT$550, now).

well I like my family steak house near taiwan ocean university in Keelung and the meat was always good :wink: All the steak houses are more or less the same for the same prices, just the sides are different

You donā€™t say how many ounces you expect to get for under NT$1,000. I think for western style food - especially steaks - Chiliā€™s is hard to beat. Not cheap but at least not stingy with the sides. 12oz steaks thankfully cost under NT$1,000 though.

Stretching limits here but title is ā€œGreater Taipeiā€ what the hell someone might be passing by one day. Best cheapie steak I ever had was in night market on road to wulai, after gas station and long narrow bridge, just before where main road crosses over river. Taipei end of this market thereā€™s a steak guy selling pots of warmed medicinal wine as well. Both very tasty, friendly couple.

Just remember the news a few years back about how they staple together apiece of meat of a certain size by taking small leftover cuts and pasting -yes, pasting- them together with glue -yes, glue- and putting them in a mold to dryā€¦ My Home Steak was among the guilty ones, some of Family Steak, and others. So cheaper cuts will be detrimental to your health, seriously.

Just remember the news a few years back about how they staple together apiece of meat of a certain size by taking small leftover cuts and pasting -yes, pasting- them together with glue -yes, glue- and putting them in a mold to dryā€¦ My Home Steak was among the guilty ones, some of Family Steak, and others. So cheaper cuts will be detrimental to your health, seriously.[/quote]

What?

:ohreally:

No. I donā€™t believe it.

I like this place. A wee bit out of the way, but a cracker operation.

Just remember the news a few years back about how they staple together apiece of meat of a certain size by taking small leftover cuts and pasting -yes, pasting- them together with glue -yes, glue- and putting them in a mold to dryā€¦ My Home Steak was among the guilty ones, some of Family Steak, and others. So cheaper cuts will be detrimental to your health, seriously.[/quote]

What?

No. I donā€™t believe it.[/quote]

What? Youā€™ve never heard of restructured steaks? Problem here was the binding agent was actually too much like glue. Recently in teh news they stressed about the harmful effects these binding agents have on the digestive system.

Here: chinapost.com.tw/news/2004/1 ā€¦ rs-ask.htm CP is mild on the issue as usual but it will give you an overview.

This is what I get for warning the newbies. Avoid this by ordering a single cut, like ribs.

What?

No. I donā€™t believe it.[/quote]

What? Youā€™ve never heard of restructured steaks? Problem here was the binding agent was actually too much like glue. Recently in teh news they stressed about the harmful effects these binding agents have on the digestive system.

Here: chinapost.com.tw/news/2004/1 ā€¦ rs-ask.htm CP is mild on the issue as usual but it will give you an overview.

This is what I get for warning the newbies. Avoid this by ordering a single cut, like ribs.[/quote]

ā€œThere were reports of food poisoning caused by burger beef in the United States about 20 years ago because the beef was not well cooked. DOH officials said they have not received any reports of food poisoning traced to restructured steaks.ā€
What the hell does that have to do with anything?!

Itā€™s the China Post, dear. Take everything with a pound of salt and overall reference. For instance, from that piece, we know there was some cases of restructured meat. The rest is all that fills the pageā€¦

Icon, thatā€™s quite terrifying. Do they do that to chicken too, or just beef? I usually only order chicken at those place, because usually no steak is better than bad steak.

And you guys have now given me a whole nother set of reasons why Iā€™m wishing I lived in Taipei right now!

Thank youā€¦There isnā€™t anything else that will compare in this price range. Period.