Biden’s Southern Border Policies

President Biden has moved quickly to dismantle some of former President Trump’s signature immigration policies, halting construction of a border wall, stopping the swift expulsion of children at the border and proposing a pathway to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the United States.

But he is clinging to a central element of Mr. Trump’s agenda: relying on Mexico to restrain a wave of people making their way to the United States.

Anticipating a surge of migrants and the most apprehensions by American agents at the border in two decades, Mr. Biden asked President Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico in a video call this month whether more could be done to help solve the problem, according to Mexican officials and another person briefed on the conversation.

The two presidents also discussed the possibility of the United States sending Mexico some of its surplus vaccine supply, a senior Mexican official said. Mexico has publicly asked the Biden administration to send it doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which has not been approved for use in the United States.

1 Like

Nothing to see here. No kids in cages or caught with the covid. Noop. Just colorful playpens and soccer balls.

This all sounds like Cuomo to me. The uh, facts would be harmful if they got out in that they’d illuminate our gross incompetence.

1 Like

Has he flattened the wall yet?

I’m enjoying seeing your newfound moral compass! A lot of us have been upset about this for years now.

Letting floods of people in from a country whose cities have the highest murder rates on the planet isn’t going to end well for the U.S. Eventually Mexico’s problems are going to become America’s problems.

Thursday’s slayings in central Mexico added to the 86 police officers who had been killed already this year, according to Causa en Común, a Mexican anti-corruption group that focuses on public security.

Last year was the deadliest year for police since the group began tracking deaths in 2018, with at least 524 officers killed.

Like most crimes in Mexico, the majority of police killings go unpunished, security analysts say.

“The feeling that’s left is that it’s possible to attack an agent of the state without consequences,” said Alejandro Hope, a Mexico City-based security analyst. “If we can’t protect the lives of the police, how can we ask them to protect ours?” — NYT

The way America can solve the problem is end the war on drugs and decriminalize them.

It’s the drug trade driving all the homicides.

1 Like

Legalize Fentanyl? Seems like a Hail Satan pass to me.

You can decriminalize but control drugs, or you can continue locking people up for it and try, I emphasize, try to secure the border. It will not work as people don’t just go migrating because they feel like it.

Maybe if America stops acting all imperialistic and try to hamstrung central and south America they might get somewhere instead of being dogged with gang activity.

Sorry but drug laws cause more harm than good.

You can’t build a wall to stop forces of nature.

I haven’t changed my opinion in the slightest. The whole issue is political and for the most part meaningless.

Its a humanitarian, social, economic issue not just political.

It’s imperialistic.

The whole war on drugs is simply a power move. It was a means to jail anyone they don’t like.

And the side effect is it keeps less developed countries in Latin America hooked on the cash crops, thus keeping them from growing and be a real competitor to America.

That’s the REAL reason for all this. If every other countries are as prosperous as America then they have no real power to grant or deny the power of American citizenship to those whom they please.

No news is not so good as it turns out. Yet still, nothing to see here…

UPDATE by JOHN: A couple of hours ago, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki tried to spin chaos at the border into a positive–children are “presenting at the border” because they are “fleeing persecution,” so there is no crisis:

1 Like

Over the last several days and reaching a crescendo today, the mainstream media

Why do you read this crap? One line in and I know it’s a rag.

1 Like

Ouch. Tons of time to plan for this. Totally dropped the ball. No excuses.

2 Likes

That’s cool you’ve come around to seeing this as a concern.

What would you advocate as a solution?

1 Like

I appreciate him being consistent on the topic.

2 Likes

Boring take. Biden seems interested in solving the problem, including bringing the families back together Trump dismantled. It’s an issue of direction, though I’m aware on any given day comas can be woken from and demands to fix things in a day with a magic wand can ensue. :sweat_smile:

On a scale of 1 to 10, your bias is an 11.

1 Like

What course of action do you think Biden should take?