By all means translate things into English, but

This sign is to impress the locals who are impressed by that sort of thing. No point in having something in complicated correct English that no-one will understand. So just write Engerlish instead. Everyone happy lah.

Taiwan Forward New Happy Century 2009!

:discodance:

Happy go, make better English, Taiwan GO GO GO!, ad nauseum

we are surrounded by this moronic shit everyday, many locals know the difference but are powerless to change it.

I have said it before… some twit gets a mid level managerial position and because he spent a summer in New York he “know how make good English” Every kid working below him who spent 11 years in the US with a M.A. knows the slogan is bullshit, he knows it makes the Taiwanese Government look like a joke in the international community but they are not permitted to think, act, suggest, correct or question.

Worker bees don’t make decisions they just toil away until they die.

Taiwan GOOD!

I have lots of fun just by reading what they write on the T-shirts, fast food cups, stationary. There are lots of nonsense, but that is why they import us from abroad to teach here.
I still remember my group of friends who came here during the Mc Donald’s silly slogan “I’m lovin it”, they were laughing about this phrase.

[quote=“daisyhotkiss”]I have lots of fun just by reading what they write on the T-shirts, fast food cups, stationary. There are lots of nonsense, but that is why they import us from abroad to teach here.
I still remember my group of friends who came here during the Mc Donald’s silly slogan “I’m lovin it”, they were laughing about this phrase.[/quote]

correct me if i’m wrong but “i’m lovin’ it” was a worldwide slogan that was localized into many other languages…let’s be careful not to throw the baby out with the mijiu…

oh and daisy, ever hear of the phrase “let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone?”

I’m simultaneously puzzled, amused and dismayed that so many Taiwanese think the automatic, invariable English translation of 加油 is “Go go go”.

Some phrases are pretty interesting, I have some T-shirts with “I want to make you the baby, marry me”, “The sun is infinite hot, my love is a happy flower”, “I will love you more if you go apart and away from me”, “Tears are like my blood, falling everywhere”. I actually collect some of these T-shirts and have given some to my friends. There are some T-shirts with those Chinese words of wisdom, “a bird in a mountain is as free as a flower in the desert” .
I actually love these souvenirs.

makes filling the car an interestingly positive and affirming experience.

I’m simultaneously puzzled, amused and dismayed that so many Taiwanese think the automatic, invariable English translation of 加油 is “Go go go”.[/quote]

I have, in the past, I must confess, been guilty of teaching entire classrooms full of junior high students to chant in unison:
“PLUS OIL! PLUS OIL! PLUS OIL!”

I know, I’m a very bad man.

No, but we really do have Falin Hair here in Donghu.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“daisyhotkiss”]I have lots of fun just by reading what they write on the T-shirts, fast food cups, stationary. There are lots of nonsense, but that is why they import us from abroad to teach here.
I still remember my group of friends who came here during the Mc Donald’s silly slogan “I’m lovin it”, they were laughing about this phrase.[/quote]

correct me if I’m wrong but “I’m lovin’ it” was a worldwide slogan that was localized into many other languages…let’s be careful not to throw the baby out with the mijiu…

oh and daisy, ever hear of the phrase “let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone?”[/quote]

God, it’s posts like this that could push me over the edge into alcoholism and madness. Bear, with one exception you failed to use capitals in your post, even for “Daisy,” but the one bloody time you did should actually be lower-case. Yes, it’s not “I’m loving it,” but “i’m loving it.” :blush: the bloody auto correct changed my lower-case “i.”

No, but we really do have Falin Hair here in Donghu.[/quote]

Speak for yourself…

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“the bear”][quote=“daisyhotkiss”]I have lots of fun just by reading what they write on the T-shirts, fast food cups, stationary. There are lots of nonsense, but that is why they import us from abroad to teach here.

correct me if I’m wrong but “I’m lovin’ it” was a worldwide slogan that was localized into many other languages…let’s be careful not to throw the baby out with the mijiu…

oh and daisy, ever hear of the phrase “let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone?”[/quote]

God, it’s posts like this that could push me over the edge into alcoholism and madness. Bear, with one exception you failed to use capitals in your post, even for “Daisy,” but the one bloody time you did should actually be lower-case. Yes, it’s not “I’m loving it,” but “I’m loving it.” :blush: the bloody auto correct changed my lower-case “i.”[/quote]

damn, good point on the lower case “i”…you’re quite right, what was i thinkin’…

…in future i shall stick to completely lower case and plead my shift key is broken…

here is the relevant link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_advertising

[quote]damn, good point on the lower case “i”…you’re quite right, what was i thinkin’…

…in future i shall stick to completely lower case and plead my shift key is broken…

here is the relevant link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_advertising[/quote]

All is forgiven. I’ve managed to calm myself down thanks to the Zhang Ziyi pic you posted. Damn, I wouldn’t mind checking out her lower-case.

It’s unimportant, but I’m sure you meant stationery.

It’s unimportant, but I’m sure you meant stationery.[/quote]

No, I think she meant that she enjoys it more when they stand still.
:roflmao:

It’s unimportant, but I’m sure you meant stationery.[/quote]

No, I think she meant that she enjoys it more when they stand still.
:roflmao:[/quote]

They’re certainly easier to read that way! :wink:

An English bushiban that employs a native English speaking teacher:

What parent could resist promises of ‘California in USA English Level Certify’, eh?

It’s quality stuff. The owner’s known for over two years that the name of the school should be Shepherd (one of her previous western teachers told her). She doesn’t bother to do anything about it, I guess because it’s simply not necessary. Then a sign like that appears. I’d get bitter and cynical if I wasn’t such a happy-go-lucky bloke.

It’s a very successful school by the way.

One of my gf’s coworkers spelled vegetable wrong on a poster at their school and my gf is the only person there who has noticed. She’s staying quiet as she doesn’t really like the co-worker, who incidentally is a Taiwanese who grew up in the US and is supposedly doing a Phd at Tai-Da.