Cafe coffee replacement, what are you doing?

The 454g bag is about one pound so…~2,700g.

I don’t know @Andrew’s personal background but the way that he mixed numbers up like that tells a lot (and I do the same).

2 Likes

I literally said “454 grams” in my post. :wink:

One bag is 454 grams, which is a pound, which is abbreviated “lb”. I bought 6 bags, or 6 lb, or 2.7 kg. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks! Since in Taiwan we did use lb, I did not know that but now do. Ha. I have have hard enough time with old Taiwan systems into modern global system so sorry I about my maths.

1 Like

It does sort of read like a story problem.

Andrew likes to drink coffee and noticed that instead of the normal buy 2, get one free deal on 454g bags, it was buy 2, get one this morning so decided to come home with an extra bag, paying $900 for the 6lbs of beans. If he was traveling home in his car at an average speed of 54kph and the bus traveling the opposite direction was traveling 60% slower, how much did he pay per gram of coffee?

4 Likes

Haha, what does it tell you? :grin:

I just used pounds there because I was waiting for the MRT, which was about to arrive, and a bit irritated at having just walked around quite a lot in the humidity wearing a mask…so I couldn’t be bothered multiplying 6x454 or typing “6 lb in kg” into Google. And it’s Forumosa, so I figured there would be a lot of Americans perfectly fine with pounds anyway.

I seldom use pounds actually. I’m from the UK but of the age where I’m not that comfortable with imperial units except for pints and miles, and for the last 12 years I’ve lived in metric places anyway, plus my background is in science so I’m more comfortable with metric units.

But honestly, mostly the mix up was just because I was irritated at the mask and humidity and disinclined to convert units. It felt weird to me at the time, but I thought I’d get away with it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, and sorry for my bad maths! I got my answer and a interesting morning story too! (Must be very few people on the MRT this morning !)

2 Likes

It’s 4.5 斤, I believe? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

With that amount of coffee in his system, I suspect Andrew would be driving faster than that.

Actually kudos to him for maintaining that level of coffee consumption while also posting so calmly on forumosa. It’s impressive!

Guy

1 Like

That Japanese chain Coffee World is doing buy one get two free on its beans. I don’t think they’re gourmet beans but still a bargain.

3 Likes

I have one of those that I mostly use to break up the ice in my mug :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. The froth is just a plus.

1 Like

Taiwan uses all systems, metric, Taiwanese, imperial … whatever suits them to fool you. Just watch out when you buy stuff by weight or volume.

3 Likes

Did you try them, does not have be gourmet beans, for me just not bitter or sour? I will try see if they can send me this with the good deal.

Yeah they’re fine.

1 Like

Thanks ! I will also try. (also some news on FR24, seems Starbuck has shortage, so look for higher prices)

1 Like

That article mentions that Starbucks shops in the US are having trouble getting oat milk, as well as “25 different products [that] are on a ‘temporary hold’ including hazelnut syrup, chai tea bags and green iced tea.”

I’m not sure if / how this would affect Starbucks operations in Taiwan, which must be losing sacks of money right now . . .

Guy

1 Like

I actually wonder about that, since they do not have the air conditioning parking freeloaders hogging space anymore. Delivery seems quite lively.

Our CAMA is always 5 people deep line.

CAMA is a different business model (at least most of the branches—not the fancy place up on Yangmingshan near CCU)—take out / delivery, and much better suited for the current situation.

Guy

1 Like

Do they actually make money in Taiwan?

Why would Uni-President (the Taiwan operators of Starbucks) be involved in a non-profitable operation? Those guys are not famous for running charities.

Guy

It’s probably a bit more complicated than that. Friday’s didn’t make a profit the first ten years in Taiwan.

1 Like