California ... a failed state

Yes, in NY I haven’t heard of any reports of people simply walking in and walking out with stuff. Walmart’s have a detention room for those folks.

When I worked at Walmart we were told repeatedly, in BOLD LETTERS that we are NOT to stop anyone from attempting to shop lift, accuse anyone of shoplifting, etc., and if we do this we WILL be terminated. The only thing we are allowed to do is document the act, and tell a manager or asset protection. Most retail outlets have similar policies. This is mainly liabilities because if we are told we can stop shoplifters or whatever then some of us will feel like we HAVE to do it, and of course if someone gets hurt, murdered, etc. because of that the company is liable for this, and liabilities are quite steep for things of this nature.

So yea, that’s just how it is. Plus Walmart gets so much calls for shoplifting that cities actually end up charging Walmart money for calls. Seems Walmart has the lion share of emergency calls in most cities. This of course ties up valuable resource.

But asset protection will have any such acts on CCTV and will keep an eye out for this person if he/she were to try again, and probably maintains a database of such offenders across the entire nation/world that has a Walmart.

But Walmart’s 25 dollar/under no prosecution policy has nothing to do with compassion or turning a blind eye, but it’s mainly because there is no way they can possibly prosecute every single instance of shoplifting out there. At some point it ends up costing more than the items stolen to do so.

1 Like

Not in NY.

Yep.

Yea, I don’t know but this case seems to be a bit special because he was specifically asked by a manager and asset protection… so I don’t know if the company has a policy of drafting non asset protection employees for assistance, but in that case it should be the AP guys, not the worker, to be terminated.

But then most stores tends to have really understaffed AP personnel so I feel this isn’t unheard of. But corporations often have to cover their own ass.

Hey, no fair bringing facts into the discussion.

Could you please explain the difference, since as Poundsand has shown, New York has an even more lenient law than California?

Nope. My comment was on the lack of policing and prosecution. Go back a few posts.

I wonder what is meant by lack of policing and prosecution…

If anything New York and California is well policed. More people behind bars than other states, longer sentences for lesser crimes, etc…

So much so they pretty much have to decriminalize some stuff or else their jails would be so full it’d be a human rights violation.

I guess policing and prosecution is swift and brutal execution for being guilty of crime? Three strikes and you go to the gas chamber?

In some other countries police seem to be more focused on behavior modification than prosecution. Such as, the police being there to inform, assist, friendly, etc., to protect and serve and be a beacon of the community, not someone who basically just hauls people to jail over “crimes”.

Like nobody in Taiwan has to be worried about being gunned down by a cop because of confusing instructions or poor training. If you want disciplined and well trained police force, integrate the police into the US military and subject them to the UCMJ. And disband the police union.

Going back, it looks like you started with an article that blamed prop 47.

So in California I can steal $900 worth of merchandise, pawn or sell it for $300 and have no risk of bring prosecuted? That’s over 100K per year tax free for a few minutes of work each day. Where do I sign up?

1 Like

The link within is what I have been referring to though…maybe not clearly enough. could have been the New jersey air. blech.

No. Prop 47 makes it a misdemeanor, not a felony. The memo linked in the article about Gascon declining to prosecute low level crimes are for specific crimes, of which theft isn’t one. It’s almost like it’s deliberately misleading.

Gascon’s directive not to prosecute low level crimes doesn’t cover shoplifting.

I’m not dying on this hill. Allowing people to loot sans mob is wrong.

That Gascon directive doesn’t do that.

No more nullification of laws by the people in the People’s Republic of California though. Must uphold “equal application of established rules of law” according to the Supreme Politbureau of the PRC:

However, since 2001 it has been well-settled that jury nullification is not sanctioned by California law. That year, the state’s Supreme Court announced its decision in People v. Williams. At Williams’ trial, the judge discharged a juror who was admittedly unwilling to enforce the statute criminalizing Williams’ sexual conduct with his underage girlfriend. Williams asserted on appeal that the juror’s refusal to follow the law should have been allowed as a proper exercise of jury nullification.

The state Supreme Court disagreed, citing a long line of federal and state cases rejecting the suggestion that nullification is an acceptable practice and noting that no reported decision up to that time had questioned a trial judge’s removal of a juror who is admittedly unable or unwilling to apply the law as instructed. To find otherwise, the Court concluded, would leave defendants subject to the whims of a particular jury, rather than the equal application of established rules of law.

1 Like

And in New York it’s even higher.

Yeah but their AG is more likely to go after me for tax evasion.

It’s a misdemeanor, and if you commit them repeatedly it becomes a felony. Also if you steal 900 dollars from one shop, then 900 from another, and another, then are caught, they will add it all up and now you’re on the hook for 2900 of theft which is a felony.

And police in the us have quotas so they love it more if they can upgrade it to a felony. Then if you did any damage during the theft, for example cutting those spider anti theft devices, they will add the cost of it to your rap.

The us has the highest incarceration in the world, and California has the highest incarceration in the us.

Could be worse. Could be Texas or Florida:

California is reporting 141.1 new coronavirus cases for every 100,000 residents over the last seven days — a rate half that of Texas, 297.8; and less than one-fourth that of Florida’s rate of 653.8, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. California’s rate is also less than the national average of 232.1.