California ... a failed state

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
These days, the messiah of All Politics Is Local here is Alex Villanueva , the Los Angeles County sheriff. “Nothing will change your political viewpoint more than a transient taking a shit in your front yard,” he told me.
Gavin Newsom Is in Trouble. Could He Take Biden with Him? (ckarchive.com)

2 Likes

My neck of the woods in California is pretty red. The people I know who support the recall cite mostly his restrictive Covid response (masks and all that), not crime. There is crime here, but mostly petty (we are often ranked among the safest cities in the US) and police actively investigate. The big crime now is catalytic converter theft.

Each one is counted separately, it is not additive.

The DAs in SF and LA have been dropping charges and declining to prosecute misdemeanors, even from multiple offenders.

1 Like
3 Likes

What will be interesting is to see if Newsom grants the parole recommendation for Sirhan Sirhan.

6 of RFK’s kids oppose it, 2 support it, including RFK, Jr. Have to give RFK Jr. a little credit here for dissenting from the family line — they likely think he is nuts because of his anti-vax viewpoints and stuff like this.

The hypocrisy of the Kennedy’s. Liberal on issues when it is for other people but they seem to still be quite harsh on Sirhan, especially RFK’s son Joe, who opposes parole, and who had some driving incidents as a young man (only paralyzed a woman unlike Teddy, Kopechne, and Chappaquiddick.)

Sirhan has served over 50 years. In most countries, he would have been granted parole decades ago.

Kennedy’s 6 six kids being tough on crime with an inability to forgive?–well, unless it is letting a woman drown off a bridge or being paralyzed in a Jeep, or numerous drug arrests or the other puddles of pus that family has been involved with.

This is a tough one. We’re almost certainly better off without an RFK presidency.

1 Like

Well, in most European countries life sentence isn’t even legally possible, even for something horrible. To hold someone beyond their sentence they must demonstrate that the person is a danger to the community.

But California isn’t really liberal. Liberals in the US are conservatives who are slightly less conservative than Republicans.

That dude is horrible .

I voted to recall Newsom, chose my boy Meet Kevin

Interesting, a Dem eh. Seems he had to go on Newsmax to get heard!

1 Like

Kevin Paffraths the leading Democrat on the recall, I think there’s a total of 9 Democrats but the official message perpetuated by Newsom is no Democrats on the recall its purely a Right Wing agenda to remove a Democrat from CA which is untrue.

Kevin is more Center left than all out crazy left like Newsom

1 Like

The problem I have with the recall is that the winner might have a lower percentage of votes than the loser. Never understood how that is democratic. So I will vote against, even though I don’t love the current governor.

1 Like

Just watched this.

Didn’t know that Meet Kevin actually had a chance. That would be something. First Youtuber to become governor. Thank god it’s not one of the Paul brothers…

Have been watching Kevin’s channel for a year now, to keep up to date about stocks, mostly. He’s a workaholic, that’s for sure, he’s good at what he’s doing. His studio is top-drawer, he pays attention to details and is quite the perfectionist, well that’s all in the create Youtube videos about investing realm mostly.

While he seems to have amassed a little fortune (20~50 mill perhaps?) I doubt he’s well connected and while he has some cute plans for California, he has about zero experience in the political arena.

I’d give him that he’s a fast learner, hard worker, multi-tasker, energetic, positive energy kind of guy, but boy that looks like a mountain to climb for him, if he would actually win.

2 Likes

Where is the money?

In Taiwan this would be on national news lmao.

1 Like

This was in Oakland, where crime hasn’t been news for many decades, unfortunately.

Sheeeeeiiiiiiittttttt, that’s a good call. I’ve had my car broken into before, multiple times, and there’s essentially jack shit they do anyway, so not much point in them going out. Not a California thing.

CHP also (correctly) says not coming out for fender benders.

1 Like

In New Orleans our car was broken into and our friend’s car was stolen, but the police were not interested. Of course it was during Mardi Gras. Our home in California was broken into a few years back. They never found our stuff, but several people from the sheriff’s office spent half a day at the house investigating.