California ... a failed state

Walmart guns are in locked glass cases.

I even had the sarcasm disclaimer lol. The internet never ceases to amaze!

(another disclaimer, read my full post if anyone is confused by the partial quote :wink: )

Can you enter china without a passport? without ID? Taiwan needs not only Taiwan ID but a Taiwan peice of paper. It kind of goes to show how china admits Taiwan is a foreign land, by proxy. Can foreigners enter china with their ARC like we do to fly to Lanyu or Kinmen? nope. not open borders.

Because china is the shit hole country that it is, it only has open trade when it benefits the CCP. Once they get all cock hurt about normal basic things they shut down the open ness of it and cause loads of problems for everyone, including their own people. They are hypocritical cucks that cannot be trusted any more than a heroin addict in the cold jonesing for a day can be trusted. To put it simply, they are a shit hole country. not sure why people keep trying to defend their bullshit. They are way less open than even trumps incredible border wall (teehee).

Also, loads of US citizens cant come here. know a number who have been deported and not welcomed back, at least for a time. I agree though, there are relics in Taiwan from a history of chinese systems. they need to be dismantled and rebuilt.logically so we stop getting compared to such a shit hole country :innocent:

You can’t enter China if you are Taiwanese on the passport, they do not recognize it. You must get a taibaozheng which is their ID for Taiwanese.

Yes. that is what I just said…Thus, not open borders lol.

2 Likes

It was the clerk at the Home Depot here in Portland who told me I couldn’t hold the power drill box I was buying until I paid for it at the register because the understaffed police had gone AWOL on shoplifting crime. You’re right though. Maybe she was just making the whole thing up.

OTOH maybe the Home Depot in Cherokee County, GA is a locked fortress too though because Cherokee County is a bedroom community of Atlanta and Home Depots even in the tony areas of Atlanta like Buckhead are war zones these days:

ATLANTA – Volkan Topalli stopped at Home Depot in this city’s tony Buckhead district just to pick up two bags of potting soil.

But when the 55-year-old Georgia State University criminal justice professor, who studies urban violence, saw some young people darting around the store that Saturday evening in May, he sensed something was up.

Suddenly, four gunshots echoed and a car peeled out. As Topalli pulled out his phone, a bullet tore through his left forearm. . . .

Here in Atlanta, the rare American city with a majority Black police department, crime is the top issue in November’s mayoral election, and the city’s political discussion remains charged. One faction agitating for defunding police has planted its flag against a proposed public safety training facility, while another, fearful of the crime spurt, has organized a movement for Buckhead to divorce from the city and form its own police department.

“It’s very serious, what’s going on in Buckhead,” said Bill White, CEO and chairman of Buckhead City Committee. “Street gangs want to assert their authority, and the rest of us can go to hell.”

Although Buckhead, a commercial and residential district in north Atlanta, has less crime than any part of the city, a citywide and nationwide jump in crime has created a pervasive fear. A few miles from where Topalli was shot, metal detectors were installed at the upscale Lenox Square shopping center after a security guard was shot in June. Despite enhanced security, a patron was shot weeks later. . . .

Like Minneapolis, Atlanta police speak of a morale crisis. The department remains 400 officers short of its capacity of 2,046 officers, a two-decade low. The day after Brooks’ killing, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms fired the officer who shot him. The officer was also charged with felony murder. (The firing was later reversed by the Atlanta Civil Service Board; a trial date has not been set.) That led to a “Blue Flu,” where more than half of Atlanta’s police force called in sick three days in a row in protest.

1 Like

But your contention is the lack of enforcement and prosecution driving these policies, no? But regardless, no, the crime isn’t commuting up there - Cherokee is a relatively low crime area.

And no, Buckhead isn’t a war zone (despite what you might have read from city of buckhead proponents)! :laughing: It’s a very safe area. And no, that doesn’t mean it’s crime free.

You’re unable to draw any reasonable conclusions from your anecdote, so, what? Random links? So if I show you links to Republican areas and crime, does that prove some bigger point?
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/katy/news/article/More-than-1M-worth-of-stolen-Home-Depot-goods-15684992.php

Progress in 80 years:

1 Like

No vomit and feces to colorize… :+1:

And who would want to brave the commute to Cherokee County from Atlanta just for some power tools?:slightly_smiling_face:

Fuck bro, see a doctor…even cow shits dont really colorize that much.

You obviously haven’t seen the technicolor sidewalks in San Francisco recently… :sweat_smile:

Democrats and their apologists get four more years to gaslight voters into believing that the shoplifting epidemic is all in their heads.

Nearly two-thirds of the retailers surveyed by the National Retail Federation said that violence associated with store thefts has risen, led by organized gangs that resell the goods they steal. Like retailers, top law-enforcement officials place some of the blame for the crime surge on a widespread lessening of penalties for shoplifting.

“Without deterrents and accountability, communities will be victimized, and businesses terrorized,” said Laura Cooper, head of the Major Cities Chiefs Association. . . . California’s recent headline-making “flash mob” shoplifting sprees have brought widespread attention to Proposition 47 — a 2014 state ballot initiative, supported by a range of left-leaning and libertarian groups, which, among other things, boosted the felony threshold for shoplifting from $450 of merchandise to $950. Soon after it passed, retailers in California began reporting a sharp uptick in retail theft, often in plain view of helpless store personnel and distressed customers.

What has received far less attention, however, is the fact that California’s Prop. 47 was not an outlier among states. In the past 10 years, nearly half of all states have boosted their thresholds for retail felony theft. Thirty-eight states now don’t consider shoplifting a felony unless $1,000 or more of merchandise gets stolen. A 2020 National Retail Federation report on organized retail crime found that two-thirds of retailers in states that had raised their felony shoplifting minimums reported growing retail theft.

It seems like they would be able to charge people with something other than shoplifting if it’s organized gang related, so seems like a somewhat silly point. :roll_eyes:

whaaaatttt?! :wink:

Stores are, of.course, not helpless; they can detain shoplifters if they choose. Those that don’t have made a business decision not to .

I don’t get “felony” theft. Nobody is killed when you commit a theft. Classic definition of a felony is something that has the possibility of capital punishment (this is how the US justifies disenfranchising felons by the way, or basically treats them like a non person). In the old days you pretty much had to kill someone to become a felon.

If you start treating 20 dollar theft as felony, then they will just steal more than 20 dollars. The punishment is far too harsh for the crime.

Punishments don’t deter criminals anyways because criminals don’t plan on getting caught. Just like people still steal in Saudi Arabia when the penalty is amputation.

Would @QuaSaShao prefer shoplifters publicly executed or at least amputated like some countries do?

You know like Judge Dredd… where police sees a crime and summarily execute the criminal, regardless of what crime. Except in Judge Dredd crime is rampant.

1 - classical definitions don’t matter
2 - I bet there’s a long history of death for theft
2a - so that supporta a felony theft argument on ‘classical’ terms, even if the penalty is now.less

sure, and if I had raw meat in my pockets I’d d be worried about random dogs snipping down there, but I don’t, and the law doesn’t treat $20 theft as felony (generally, unless you pile.otjer stuff on it, then potentially).

Yea back in the days when kings were the law they could execute you just because they felt like it.

Classical definitions kinda matter as this is how countries like the US justifies treating ex felons as non persons. Basically they are dead in the eyes of the law.

Probably right. but if people are squirting rainbows on the ground from their anus, there is a bigger CDC emergency than covid…

Actually no. The government doesn’t care at all if those people die (well, unless they die from covid, of course).

fair enough. so long as they are open and transparent about it, at least one cant call them hypocrites. get what you vote for and allow to remain in power.

I do want to ask for proof of rainbow sidewalk shits. however, there is reasonable chances you are literally right and I REALLY dont want to see it if true. So no point calling a bluff haha.