Canadian Food or Poutine Restaurant

I was teaching some grade 5 students about Canadian food for their international education class, and something came to mind. I don’t know if there are any restaurants in Taiwan that sells poutine or anything that originated from Canada. Are there any local joints in Taiwan’s urban communities that has any Canadian foods available? Whether it’s poutine, tortiere, smoke meat, or beaver tails. I know two places in Seoul, Korea that has that. What about in Taipei or Kaohsiung?

Whalen’s in Taipei used to have it and a nice variety of Canadian options. Too bad they closed.

The Poutinerie? Is it still open?

1 Like

I’m from Vancouver and have never had poutine, tortiere, or beaver tail. To me, food from home would be salmon, crab, or Alberta beef.

1 Like

You two made those up. People eat the tails of beavers?

1 Like

There is (was?) a restaurant in Puli called Montreal Style Restaurant. He had poutine & sugar pie along with a few other items. The owner is a bit peculiar to say the least. I think it’s reservations only, and he staggers arrival times by 15 minutes to make it easier for him to cook for everyone as they arrive. A bit out of the way, obviously, but an option for people visiting Sun Moon Lake.

1 Like

Yeah, just saw it the other day.

2 Likes

It’s in such a terrible area. I went a couple of times during dinner hours and they were closed in the typical close-whenever-you-feel-like style that is endemic to Taiwan.

It’s not exactly easy to get to.

Understatement of the year.

They’re a dessert item. They’re made from real beaver tails the way girl scout cookies are made from real girl scouts (still wondering about that Whale Breakfast place).

2 Likes

The Hammer in Yongho has poutine and Nanaimo bars

3 Likes

Um, that’s not really fair. That’s kind of a special area. Either you frequent it or you don’t. A lot of us hang out there on Fridays and Saturdays.

Your man Alex is now running the Brass Monkey so not sure what will become of the P.

1 Like

Yaletown Bistro in Kaohsiung. It’s right behind the FE21, near Sanduo MRT Station.

1 Like

Well… the one in the easy area like Yuanshan closed down.

And after multiple attempts to eat there to find it closed on random days despite google saying it’s open… whoever runs the joint needs to get their act together before this place closes forever too.

1 Like

Real beaver tails, or pastry ones?

… and on another note, some might say that the use of ‘beaver’ and ‘tail’ together is redundant. You should just pick one and run with that.

Foster Hewitt’s in kaohsiung has legit poutine. A real indulgence, as you would expect from gravy-smothered cheese fries (tip: get them to chop up some bacon into it). Their burgers are horribly dry though.

Stay away from Yaletown Bistro - their poutine portions are tiny and the flavor is not great.

2 Likes

It looks like it might only be opening Friday to Sunday.

I think it’s nominally open Friday and Saturday and closed on Sunday, unless something changed recently. (I’ve asked Alex and the other guy working there previously - I live relatively close to there but have been irritated a couple of times in the past when I’ve walked over there for a poutine fix and found the place closed. :worried:)

I remember that the opening hours on Google Maps or Facebook or whatever used to be (or maybe still are) wrong, though.

3 Likes

Where exactly in Kaohsiung is it?

I like the owners at The Hammer. I always get the Dropkick - pastrami on a pita.

2 Likes