Canadian Politics/News

Justa Castreau?

Justprick Castreau?

Trudope?

There’s a few of them around.

Apparently, Chinese affectionately refer to him as “Little Potato,” (小土豆) on account of his surname sounding a lot like the Chinese word for potato (tudou ).

WTAF???

One commissioner remarked, “Treaty Indians have been carrying race-based cards their entire lives, so this is a step toward equity in Alberta,”

Hilarious. Apart from the categories for the indigenous, here are the options:

According to the Statistics Canada website, the options would appear as follows:

• South Asian (e.g., Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan)
  • Chinese
  • Black
  • Filipino
  • Arab
  • Latin American
  • Southeast Asian (e.g., Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai)
  • West Asian (e.g., Iranian, Afghan)
  • Korean
  • Japanese
  • None of the above — specify:
  • Unable to self-identify
  • Refusal to self-identify

Also stated: “The methods for identifying race could include both self-identification and officer perception of the person in question.”

Officer: “What’s your race ?”

Driver: “The human race.”

Officer: “Imma gonna call you Filipino.”

I guess I’ll be riding the bus. I don’t see “Asshole” as a choice.

1 Like

Everything is fine:

You’re allowed to add your own choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

土豆 means peanut :wink: ground bean =ground nut.

but ya, I am sure there are a lot. but imagine a person from Vietnam here reading the forum and the confusion between real names. I like my insults obvious, just out of respect to the masses lol :innocent:

on the Subject, gonna make up a new one which touches on his dad’s work and his in a lovely hybrid of disrespect: Medicapped.

1 Like

I’ve got a good one:
Twice-elected Prime Minister of Canada.

1 Like

Yes. He’s much-loved, that’s for sure.

No it isn’t, but compared to Harper, and Scheer, and O’Toole, preferred as PM by enough of the citizens (who actually vote for MPs, MPs in the winning party choose the PM)

Thrice elected, BTW

And the conservatives have handicapped themselves by electing a leader associated with fringe far right loonies (not the Bank of Canada kind, he had made clear)

2 Likes

1 Like

Plenty of people love Trudeau.

Many of them even live outside Canada.

Inside the country, he still has loads that adore him. He’ll be fine. I wouldn’t worry.

He’s adored in various demographics.

He might not be getting as much love as before, but he’s still got a lot. Compared to ice cream, maybe not as loved. But still, many worshippers around.

Still on sale. At discount:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/trudaddy

There is a need for legal weed, even the loonies must admit.

Alberta- great opportunity in cryptocurrency!

“Alberta’s regulatory sandbox signals that Alberta is willing to work with and support innovators with cutting-edge products, like blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies,” the government’s description went on.
And in June, premier Kenney tweeted enthusiastically that “one of the world’s largest crypto companies is launching in Calgary! Alberta is open for business.”
Woo-hoo!
Never mind that most of us had never heard of the company, called FTX Exchange, but Mr. Kenney provided a link to a Globe and Mail Business story.
“Bahamas-based FTX Exchange, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency companies, plans to officially launch its business in Canada by acquiring Bitvo Inc., a Calgary-based cryptoexchange that is regulated by all 13 provincial and territorial securities commissions across the country,” the story began in typical Report on Business gee-whiz style.*

Cue the doom soundtrack:

Well, OK, the Globe’s reporter admitted, “the move comes amid severe industry volatility,” but whatever.

Sam Bankman-Fried, FTX’s youthful mop-topped CEO, sure wasn’t worried.

“Markets are going to do what markets are always going to do,” he reassured. “… We’ve had some fantastic conversations with the government of Alberta, which has been really constructive and is trying to take the lead in Canada and around the world for crypto policy and frameworks.”

Who was that other politician so enthusiastic about crypto- wanted to shake off those old fuddy-duddies at the Bank of Canada and ride the crypto rocket to the future? Pierre-something-or-other?

1 Like

The idea that these people call themselves “conservatives” boggles the mind.

Guy

As absurd as it may sound now. I wouldnt be surprised if Canada was one of the western “free” countries that ended up embracing cashless in the future and becoming one step closer to whatever the opposite of human rights is. Not near future. But I would wager a multi decade beer on it for fun.

I am probably wrong. but it’s good to plant seeds of doubt in an effort to prevent.

August, 2022:

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/news/world/central-bank-digital-currency#:~:text=A%20CBDC%20is%20basically%20digital,has%20yet%20to%20be%20created.

“… the Bank of Canada (BoC) is now considering the creation of a central bank digital currency (CBDC).”

F*ck.

Edit. we already have digital currency. Had it for a few decades already. That isnt the worry. the worry is cashless. as in getting rid of physical currency and forcing a digital only currency. Still a couple decades off. I hope it doesnt happen while I am alive. or ever. but…

I don’t think it will be that long. Shops will stop accepting it because most people will pay by card/phone. They will put limits on the amount you can use to prevent crime. Even my 77 year old dad talks about how he never touches cash anymore. As less people use it, it becomes inconvenient for the ones that do. Less cash machines etc.

Well…yeah, that’s also my own point. A complete CBDC system is the eventual plan.

It will probably be sooner. You can track your own’s country’s specific timeline here:

More info: https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/cbdctracker/

“China is due to launch a CBDC in 2023. Nineteen countries in the G20 – which represents the world’s largest economies – are exploring central bank digital currencies, including Japan, India, Russia and South Korea. In September 2022, the Swedish, Norwegian and Israeli central banks launched a project with the Bank for International Settlements to test international retail and remittance payments with central bank digital currencies, according to Reuters.”

Australia is looking to launch one next year, after the pilot is assessed.

The general timeline thrown around is usually 2030 for full implementation. For example:

and

“The Government’s Digital Economy Strategy is designed to enable Australia to be a world-leading digital economy and society by 2030.”

With the IMF, UN and WEF fully endorsing and supporting them, the rollout is going pretty smoothly and on track.

For Canada, they also appear to be on the same 2030 timeline. In September, the Bank of Canada CBDC dev head said:

“We really have to have a horizon of 10 years at the minimum, I would say, given what kind of a substantial product this would be…”

1 Like