Canadian Politics/News

Quote me, I think you misunderstood and your paraphrase is twisting my meaning

There are no contortions, let me repeat. @TT made this claim.

Only Canada and Canadian officials have weighed in on what they think the evidence shows.

This is an important detail by the way.

1 Like

AND: as I telling you for the third and last time, US connected geopolitics guys like Ian Bremmer have spoken about it too. Bremmerā€™s sources are in the US. He has no reason to be untruthful about thisā€”why would he? It would only undermine his own credibility.

So we have multiple sources of corroboration inside and outside Canada. Sorry if this is hard for you to understand, unless you think everyone is lying for some reason (like Trudeau lying to make his own life more difficult!!!).

Guy

Ian Bremmer is not privy to 5 eyes intelligence nor is he speaking on their behalf.

Look, if things were misstated I wont go on about it, but 5 eyes partners to my knowledge have not backed up Canadas claims of what the evidence shows.

Doesnt mean Canada hasnt got the right idea, but lets not claim things that are not true.

Ok, thanks for not continuing to misquote me.

So, the 5 eyes ally who shared this intelligence obviously felt it was credible enough to pass along. Canā€™t really dispute this.

Also, none of them have publicly disagreed or disputed. That also lends credibility.

That that havenā€™t condemned India is no surprise for a host of reasons. See the visa and diplomatic tit for tat that Canada is facing. Consider UK trade deal or QUAD and so on.

I never said that any representative from the 5 eyes had stated they ā€œagreeā€ with anything. I said they provided evidence. My point in that post was precisely the fact that they have not publicly supported the Canadian government could help to explain the defense budget news

As for the end result of the ongoing investigation, which allies have said they are waiting for to comment, given that the evidence came from outside and since there is no other credible suspect, and since Trudeau has every reason not to let this go leading up to the election (would have been easier for him to say nothing if there was nothing to go on), Iā€™ll bet you a beer that ultimately Modiā€™s government is quietly recognized as responsible (but not sanctioned)

And anyways

THIS.

Itā€™s frankly hard to understand why this is hard to understand.

Guy

1 Like

Its not hard to understand at all, a very public claim was made with evidence it seems will not be made public.

My beef was overstating what others have stated publicly. @TT does clarify on his earlier statement by saying.

I believe this doesnt jive with the comment I have now quoted muliple times.

But Ive had had for this exchange. The point seems now to be acknowledged although I didnā€™t get the point of Trudeau in blackface, seemed like some claims of racism were being inferred which would have been an uncalled for low shot.

You said

and I linked to my previous link to Jagmeet Singhā€™s statement, and he is not Justin Trudeau.

Your response was

And since it apparently wasnā€™t clear to you that JS and JT are two different people, I used pictures to clarify. I chose the photo of Trudeau that I felt most looked like Singh, which was a funny way to show that your confusion was an honest mistake on your part.

When that went over your head, I finally stated that

Hence, the response to your original question:

Is no.

1 Like

Its not confused. No other 5 eyes partner backs up Canadas claim of what the evidence means.

That is the point and how I read the quote I keep posting from you.

You now claim you never made such a claim and I am willing to drop it, but you seem to keep wanting to push the idea I got confused, I did not.

Ok, but when you said

I was responding to that

Politico gets the nuance right:

However, it was Trudeauā€™s own comments that in some ways led to speculation that he had vague intelligence rather than concrete evidence, as he said Canadian security agencies had been actively pursuing ā€œcredible allegationsā€ ā€” not credible evidence ā€” of a ā€œpotentialā€™ā€™ link between Indian agents and the killing.Sikh separatists have sought shelter in Canada since the mid-1980s, after the Indian government cracked down on the movement and its leadership.

Then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi ordered Operation Blue Star in 1984, killing the groupā€™s leader who was holed up in the holiest Sikh shrine. Later that year, she was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards. And just one year later, an Air India flight en route from Montreal exploded mid-air, killing all 329 passengers. Some of the Sikh separatists who fled to Canada were accused of being the culprits.

But while there is little to no popular support for Khalistan in the Sikh-dominated region of Punjab today, and no imminent fear of its revival, the diaspora has clung to the cause and tried to re-energize the campaign. At the time of his killing, Nijjar was organizing a nonbinding referendum to ascertain support for an independent Sikh nation.

The Indian state has legitimate concerns about Sikh separatists in Canada, but would that merit ordering an assassination in a friendly nation?

The burden of proof here lies with Trudeau who, at least for the first two days, didnā€™t receive the support he expected from his Western allies.

If Canada is to be believed, India has gone rogue ā€“ POLITICO

An Indian minister has accused Canada of giving ā€œoperating spaceā€ to terrorists and extremists, as he rejected claims by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the Indian government may have played a role in the assassination of a Sikh separatist on Canadian soil.

Extremists ā€˜given operating space in Canada,ā€™ says Indian minister | CNN

1 Like

Tends to be a reliable source :upside_down_face:

A good write up in the Japan Times and covers the many points exposed by Trudeaus declaration.

David Cohen, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, confirmed that ā€œshared intelligence among Five Eyes partnersā€ had informed Trudeau of possible Indian involvement. Yet, allies have issued only boilerplate statements in support.

This was the point I addressed and the reason I stepped in, publicly allies have been conspicuously mum on Indian involvement. Doesnā€™t mean I doubt Trudeau or someone else looking at the intelligences interpretation, just the full weight and vocal consensus of the five eyes community isnt there and it would be false to claim otherwise.

Other than that, a good read IMO, including the wisdom or lack thereof to make the accusation so publicly.

Trudeau, who made the comment before the Canadian Parliament, should have let the police complete investigations, charge alleged killers, give evidence of official complicity and then request Indian assistance.

Instead, in effect, he told Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, we think you are guilty; help us prove it. The depth of Indian anger at the absurd charge is evident in Foreign Ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchiā€™s describing of Canada as a ā€œsafe havenā€ for ā€œterrorists, extremists and organized crime,ā€ language normally reserved for Pakistan.

By the way, I dont know if its an absurd charge as the article claims, but lets you know whose side the author is taking in this row.

Iā€™d also like more clarity about the intelligence. I for one am not inclined to take vague allusions about five assholes intelligence at face value :slight_smile:

People seem to find it hard these days to accept that? We can want clarity without jumping to any particular conclusions or assuming anyone is outright lying, or while making judgements based on other available facts, etc.

1 Like

Exactly! Theres a bigger ticket item here which you touch on, a blind faith almost gospal reverence for the intelligence outfits. They can only dream of such powers bestowed apon them by the masses, what gods they would become.

So much so, no debate or trials are required, which opens the doors for many questions on a range of topics especially over the past few years.

Whatever people think of Trudeau, he has a habit of stepping on the third rail, Im of the mind he keeps doing it inadvertently, but wouldnā€™t be surprised someone smarter isnt egging him on.

2 Likes

What Iā€™m seeing is . . . blind scepticism.

What Iā€™m suggesting, in this instance, and given the range of corroboration weā€™ve presented, can be summarized in two words: Occamā€™s razor.

Guy

2 Likes

Seeing is believing :slight_smile:

No doubt it is.

Guy

Iā€™ve worked closely with the Sikh and Indian communities in BC. And thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Show up at a Sikh templeā€”youā€™ll never go away hungry. Both are high-achieving demographics that have significantly contributed to BCā€™s economic development and diversity.

I know the Sikh community was very hurt by Operation Blue Star in the 1980s, and that Indiraā€™s tactics were pretty nasty! She paid for this sin with her life.

That being said, I think some BC Sikhs are pushing Khalistan positions that not only are not popular in the Punjab but in other Sikh diaspora communities in the other Western countries. And Canada has not monitored this as well as it should have in times past.

Given its a really growing market and a stalwart ally against China, I hope Trudeau provides such direct proof, or cools down the rhetoric.

1 Like

I see a lot of faith in the Turdeau narrative. Jagmeet Singh has every reason not to stand with Trudeau on this