Canadians of Forumosa, I have a question

Definitely, but that’s not because of Vietnam, but because of Taiwan. And Taiwan is the better passport for Vietnamese. For them, it’s a no brainer.

The Liberals generally are more kindly predisposed toward dual citizens or the expat vote. So out of the two major parties, best chance raising with Lib MPs.

I am no fan of pretty boy and I was pretty blunt on here in previous elections when the Cons went after Iggy for this internationalism–thought it was low brow. So generally think the Libs will handle this better, but now?

All about timing. Folks—we are talking very small numbers here.

Good luck but will it get any traction, especially in times of inflation, provincial spending arguments with Ottawa, etc.?

Snowballs chance in hell.

Careful. I said that about 10 years ago on here and was falsely labeled a racist by some posters because I ‘felt superior’ than the SEA people because I said that they wanted to come due to the situation in their country being worse off.

1 Like

Don’t go quoting about 10 years ago… :laughing:

1 Like

New Zealand is another Commonwealth country which also does not allow renouncers to easily resume citizenship. Perhaps a New Zealand citizen sympathetic to the cause should bring it up with their parliament.

A new tidbit of info I found.

North Korea allows multicitizenship.

We are literally worse than North Korea in this aspect.

So . . . how did the conversation with your MP go?

Guy

Not yet. At 1.

3 Likes

I am definitely looking forward to hear how it goes.

Can foreigners get North Korean citizenship?
Can North Koreans get their citizenship back after renouncing? Can they even renounce?
Does North Korea’s government permit their citizens to permanently move abroad?

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Canada is worse than North Korea in this aspect.

I meant Taiwan. Taiwan is worse in this aspect. Tongue in cheek.

1 Like

I’m happy to contribute, whether it be talking with a Canadian PM (Ontario) or raising awareness in Taiwan. Though I think the problem is with Taiwan not reciprocating and Canada shouldn’t be expected to do anything other than reciprocate the rules.

Btw some of my local Taiwanese friends have no idea this is a thing. They told me, you can get dual Taiwanese citizenship easily. I told them no it’s not possible for foreigners and they didn’t believe me at first. I think if they did a poll, the majority of Taiwanese don’t know this is the way things work. There’s still some foreigner unfriendly policies that need to get revised, maybe with the gold card and foreigner talent push they’ll rethink policies.

1 Like

You could contact provincial deputy ministers, premiers, etc.–it doesn’t make an iota of difference. It is federal jurisdiction. And while I think any sane person and Taiwan expat would think the current system of having to renounce and not having the right to immediately re-obtain is totally unfair. But it is so niche and minor, the politicos won’t touch.

I raised it years ago and recently: Taiwan Just (slightly) Relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules - #973 by ChewDawg

1 Like

What about putting together a brochure (with free napkins), printing and handing it out in Taipei to raise awareness? Put together some case studies of foreigners who have lived in Taipei all their lives and can’t get citizenship, and reciprocal-ship not being followed, businesses and highly paid individuals moving out causing a loss in tax dollars for Taiwan.

Well… My strategy is multipronged. This is one prong and in this topic, I am going to focus on trying to show the MP that this is more than just one person. I brought samples of the law in Spain and Bulgaria that show this can affect Canadians not just in Taiwan, but in a few other countries as well. I brought the Entire Nationality act and highlighted Article 9.

I brought a few testimonials. You’re welcome to PM me yours and why giving up Canadian citizenship will cause you undue hardship but remaining in this limbo also causes undue hardship. Obviously they have never heard of this issue and most people don’t have the time and energy to whine to their MP.

Oh absolutely. It doesn’t affect them directly and many of them are particularly ignorant to how things work.

Show them this. Article 9.

1 Like

At the end of the day, is it better to raise the awareness in Canada to make reacquiring easier? Perhaps although in today’s inflation/war/tense relationship with stakeholders, very difficult to get traction.

My recommendations in the link above would suit a right wing government that Pierre Poilievre could potentially lead in the coming years. Taiwan requires renouncing? Make ROC nationals or any developed countries or territories with similar shitbrained policies renounce as part of Canadian naturalization.

Instead of Canadian expats doing the hard work, let the ROC nationals lobby their government. Of course, that requires politicians willing to stir up the shit.

2 Likes

that’s one of the problems right there. Sky Dragon Country isnt yet actually a country, and thus has no citizenship. Only the CCP calls this country Taipei :wink: Just saying, it seems silly but it’s actually a problem for anyone not from Taipei, especially citizens.

But, anyway, I think it is absolutely a good idea to talk with people here about this issue. I have had similar experience with most people not knowing about this (and further not caring either either). but almost always they feel it is pretty unjust and shouldn’t be that way. it’s just lip service, to be sure, but enough lip service becomes cultural norms.

why is doing both not a better idea? it’s cool to think it’s pointless. well it’s not. that’s certainly not the attitude that defeated the bazis lol. our grandparents would be rolling in our graves hearing that lazy ass excuse. the luxury we have to change things through words not guns now is one we should friggen honor. sorry, honour.

The reality is sometimes people need to bust ass for others to make change in the world.

referrence: every fucking time in history…

do more, not less. your point on making Taiwanese beg their government for these changes is also good. I see both as good ways forward. taiwan would cave faster than a landslide if this were pushed hard by the canadian government that Taiwanese expats are now SOL on dual.citizenship. I am curious if the Canada side might have legal issues on human rights doing this though, something taiwan hasn’t yet honored. *honoured. do both. not just both, let’s brainstorm more ideas and push it with some form of strategy.

1 Like

We love you Marco :heart:

3 Likes

Any positive outcome from this meeting?

I would love to hear about it to correct my stereotypes.

You see, as a dual national, I would contact Canadian reps dead last. Proactiveness on the part of an MP or overseas bureaucrat that requires difficult conversations rather than Pearsonian white picket fence Pablum? If this moves forward, I will get a tattoo of Rick Mercer (the comedian I detest the most because of his crass nationalism) on my forehead.

if you think 1 meeting will actually change things, I have some news for you…

but 1 meeting needs to happen a million times for anything to happen.

Canadians used to appreciate ethics and effort. what the fuck has happened?