Canadians of Forumosa, I have a question

There are dissenting voices, people in government stating that we are in competition with other places, and that it’s stupid to train these workers, get them acclimatized to Taiwan, then force them out. We’re just training them to work for someone else! This is not a moral or ethical position, it’s a classic Taiwan practical position, and I don’t know if it will eventually prevail, but if that’s what it takes to make progressive change, I’m for it.

Guy

It is both, IMO

A weak minority, no?

Look at Japan. I don’t think there will be broad impetus here for the changes needed until it is too late

Actually Taiwan policy makers are looking at Japan, and grabbing some policies from them too, including expanding the work rights of international students (who seem, when I visit Tokyo, to be a majority of the front line staff I meet in convenience stores nowadays).

As to other parts of Japanese policy, let’s just say it’s good to have a negative model available to leverage some (hopefully positive) change.

Guy

That was my assumption, seems to be SOP here

1 Like

It is being pragmatic. Taiwan would do well to let these workers get PR and citizenship.
Many of them are well educated.

But this is not true. You can get long stay visa to visit relative and you can by living in Canada resume. Express entry is hard lol. What job do you have in Taiwan that creates employment and job growth in Canada?

I have read this four times and I have no idea what you are talking about. :thinking:

Guy

Resume citizenship, if we live in Canada long enough we can get it back

1 Like

In some regards, I wish they would put up more restrictions and hassles, as money laundering has become a huge problem, especially in the Western provinces.
Three-year report reveals vast scale of money laundering in British Columbia | Canada | The Guardian

1 Like

I fully agree. at the same time I doubt canada, or anywhere, is really in a hurry to let their citizens.gain other passports as that often means less income. Canada wants more people not less. I doubt they would push this in any meaningful way. they already allow it, nuff done.

The cherry picking is what is more annoying. taiwan does the reciprocal thing here and there, but not where it counts and when it will benefit the country ie. citizenship. we need adult labor, and the way it works now is disgraceful.

The only justification I can see for Taiwan not allowing foreign country’s citizens to become Taiwanese without renouncing their home countrys passport is china. But that theory is EASILY broken apart, so it cant be. but not all laws are smart or logical.

2 Likes

The post WW2 reality has often been to liberalize and have more open borders.

However, this trend is now changing big time and more restrictions are being placed throughout developed countries. Some countries that are vast and underpopulated :laughing: may continue to have rather open policies but those that are crowded and with limited natural resources may choose to be more selective on who they give their passports to.

Even in the case of countries with more liberal measures, it has negatively impacted money laundering and real estate has it not? Perhaps a cooling off and slightly more restrictive policy is a good thing? Nothing radical, just a little more oversight?

Do you seriously think this applies to the case of Taiwan? We absolutely need more labour, more students, more young people, not less. Unless you want the labour to be indentured, then abused, then run away, then undocumented . . . because that is all happening too.

Guy

Are you not getting labour mobility and citizenship mixed up? Taiwan has relatively open labour mobility and yet restrictive citizenship in terms of renunciation requirements. Some jurisdictions such as Canada liberalize both, but that has had some negative money laundering and house pricing consequences.

This is an interesting question. Does liberal citizenship policy necessarily lead to an overheated property market and other social ills?

Or do problems with the property market stem from sh&tty housing policies / zoning stupidities and an immigration scheme that assumes rich people are good?

In the case of Canada, stop given rich people a fast way in. Wealth should not be a fast track to residency—unless, as Mulroney did, your goal is actually to heat up the property market while looking like a multiculturalist.

Guy

I would put a lot of the blame at federal Liberal governments that know who these newcomers will often vote for. It’s why on the left in the US, you had McGovern, Kerry, and liberal senators of every ilk vote to really cap Vietnamese boat people refugees in the late 1970s.

Why? Virulently anti-Communist and not necessarily Democratic Party voting.

All that, and then some

1 Like

I do not buy that it has anything to do with China as the ROC citizenship laws came into force before the PRC took control of China

Show me any countries in the world that has reciprocity on citizenship?

1 Like

Citizenship is the most exquisite expression of sovereign prerogative, it is an act of benevolence of the sovereign to confer the citizenship upon an alien and it id completely within the government’s (i.e. sovereign) discretion.

The right to nationality is only to prevent statelessness, but if u already hold any citizenship, then there is no right for you to acquire one, it is a concession.

Out of benevolence, the sovereign (i.e. the government) can set up rules and procedures to let alien to “naturalise”, but there is nothing which can override the discretion of the government.

U can satisfy all the requirements, but the government can refuse your application at any time.

There has never been a reciprocity for citizenship, you have the right to change your nationality but no right to be assured to have more nationalities than your natural/original one.

2 Likes

No. We need less people with dual passports and competing loyalties. The Canadian diaspora is large enough as it is.

Disagree on this. I have dual passports. I have degrees from the best universities money and brains can buy/earn. My global experiences make me stand out as a Canadian. Do we want parochial folk? Aren’t there already enough of those? IF you make us choose, we won’t chose the less dynamic location! A brain drain occurs as when Idi Amin kicked out the Indians in Uganda in the 1970s. Never good to make people choose.

If multiculturalism is the policy, don’t make people give up their identities. Lessen immigration slightly it if necessary to combat money laundering/house price increases but do not remove dual national possibility.